PDA

View Full Version : Colour coding...cost?

J
13th May 2005, 02:58 PM
Yo all!

Been trying to find an answer for this in a hurry without success, so I thought I'd ask...

How much would it cost to colour code all the black plastic on a Corsa C? I've got the 2001 model.

The car is with the smash repairers right now (more than $4,000 worth of damge...yikes! Thank God mum is ok :)), and they have quoted me $500. Is that a fair price?

I would appreciate any advice. The smash repairer will start matching my paint soon. I must decide by tomorrow whether it is worth the cost. Should I haggle?

Cheers. Thanks very much in advance!

Jeff

lowey22
13th May 2005, 03:09 PM
i would say do it yourself, thats wat i did on my astra. but considering that it is in the shop its probly alot easier for them to do it. $500 sounds fair, although i dont know how much there is to do on a corsa? makes the car looks heaps beta tho, i would go for it!

Bernard Siong
13th May 2005, 03:10 PM
sounds about right

Anonymous
13th May 2005, 03:10 PM
$500 is a good price go for it

J
13th May 2005, 03:45 PM
Alright! It's on then.

Hehe there goes my dough! Ouch :P

~Kupu~
13th May 2005, 03:54 PM
i paid 300 but i paid cash so he was happy to give me a cheaper price...... he sanded it all down so it was smooth and my car is metallic black.... colour coding is good and for 500 go for it :)

btm
13th May 2005, 04:04 PM
does anyone know any good places in sydney to get my car colour coded?

break
13th May 2005, 04:23 PM
Why bother with it?

I especially don't see the point on the black ones like mine as the trim doesn't look all that bad.... at least not $500 worth bad.

I'd rather spend that sort of money on better things (like the brand new '17 LCD I bought today... w00t)

Anonymous
13th May 2005, 04:37 PM
Why bother with it?

I especially don't see the point on the black ones like mine as the trim doesn't look all that bad.... at least not $500 worth bad.

I'd rather spend that sort of money on better things (like the brand new '17 LCD I bought today... w00t)

break u always got sumthing negative to say about sumthing

OPC
13th May 2005, 04:43 PM
hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :lol: tushay :lol:

Anonymous
13th May 2005, 04:48 PM
Why bother with it?

there's an element of truth in there though :?

500 buys you a sway bar, or good brake pads :D

though, J, make sure the $500 includes copious sanding, bogging, etc, that one would need to do to spray plastic, and achieve the same result as spraying the rest of the car.

don't go by the cheapest price, go for reputation, and the methodology behind the result

colour coding may last a short time before it starts peeling off if not done properly.

Wattie
13th May 2005, 04:51 PM
Why bother with it?

yeehaa, $500 on a screen that you cant watch coz your drivin, woot!! :screwy:

Anonymous
13th May 2005, 04:53 PM
Why bother with it?

hahaha :P

J
13th May 2005, 04:54 PM
Point taken, break. But just to let you know: I have just bought a 17" LCD for my sister as a birthday present, and I will get one myself soon. The car, however, is being resprayed right now, so that will have to be done first :)

Will post up a few photos afterwards. Need to dig up a digicam...

BTW: if you live in or near Sydney, go to http://www.msy.com.au/ for all your computer stuff, because the prices are fantastic!

Jeff

opelastra
13th May 2005, 04:55 PM
got quoted $300 for cash only :D

i would get it done if you are going to keep your car for a while becuase it looks much better

id recommend it being done by a body shop

Anonymous
13th May 2005, 04:57 PM
hey j was u looking for a front bumper for ur corsa?

J
13th May 2005, 05:12 PM
Hehe thanks for all the comments. You guys are very helpful...unlike other places I can name :|

Been doing it tough at work, so it's good to catch some good old light-hearted humour :D

It's $450 by cash. They are sanding everything back, and the entire back bumper cover and right driver's protection moulding will be brand new, so I can't complain :)

The Corsa is mum's car. Only mod being Powerchip and mags so far. Sure $450 sounds like heaps, but we like to drive our cars to the ground, so yes opelastra it definitely should be worth it. Can't wait to see the result :)

Will be finishing the project my own car first before turning my attention to the Corsa. The way I drive my car, I think it needs all the sway bars it can get hehe :P

And mr corsa: thanks for the offer with the front bumper. But that must've been someone else. Wouldn't mind seeing a pic though. Thanks :)

Jeff

~Kupu~
13th May 2005, 05:16 PM
http://www.letssingit.com/i/ico/thumb.gif

macca
14th May 2005, 07:37 AM
just go to anyone, but i know for a fact i professional is Louis at xclusive colours, wheres Tai is gettin his motor done. Look him up in the white pages and sort yourself out. And he is WORTH the wait, dunt be put off cos then you end up with a shitter like me and have to go back to him begging for mercy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anonymous
14th May 2005, 08:36 AM
lol macca he isnt getting anything major done :P just a colour coding hehehe
but yea $450 sounds fair to me, i paid $0 to get mine done but thats because my dad's mate is a pannel beater and he doesnt charge me on little stuff like that, i got my grille and side skirts painted and got my rear bar fitted at the time so it only cost me like $100 in labour to fit the bar? :P

OPC
14th May 2005, 02:30 PM
Why bother with it?

slams fist down on table and screams GOLD to wattie :lol:

EAK33Y
14th May 2005, 03:00 PM
Why bother with it?

Actually Wattie hes talking about a Computer Screen he would have to put a 17' Screen in the Boot cause it wouldnt fit anywhere

Wattie
14th May 2005, 03:04 PM
oh, so he can drive his car from the boot?

R3N
14th May 2005, 05:42 PM
oh, so he can drive his car from the boot?

I know I can 8)

break
15th May 2005, 07:37 PM
Point taken, break. But just to let you know: I have just bought a 17" LCD for my sister as a birthday present, and I will get one myself soon. The car, however, is being resprayed right now, so that will have to be done first :)Yep, np.... just wanted to know your mentality behind it.

It wasn't a poke at you... I mean... its your car... If you wanted to paint it pink with supercheap $2 spray paint thats your choice. I was just wondering what value you see in having that extra part of your car black.

ultim8DTM5
15th May 2005, 09:03 PM
HAHAH
Break- I spose I shouldn't tell you I can get a 19" LCD for cheaper than that? :mrgreen:

break
15th May 2005, 09:53 PM
I know I can get '19's cheaper than $350... but nothing under 20ms pixel response time :(

I just went for the quickest pixel response time, and best warranty in '17.

J
16th May 2005, 12:03 AM
It wasn't a poke at you... I mean... its your car... If you wanted to paint it pink with supercheap $2 spray paint thats your choice. I was just wondering what value you see in having that extra part of your car black.

Hehe it's ok break. You see, whereas your car (and ~Kupu~'s?) are black, mine is in Star Silver. So it does make a noticeable difference. You might've read the word "black" on ~Kupu~'s post and assumed mine is also black :)

Will pay the smashie and check up on progress tomorrow morning. Can't wait! :D

break
16th May 2005, 01:08 PM
Yeah, I'm well aware that Kelly's car is black (our cars were 'aquainted' when a driver a few cars back pushed 4 of us OpelAus people into each other ages back on a cruise :evil: )

Anyway.... hit us up with pictures of how it comes out. From other people I've noticed the 'grey' areas tend to come out quite lumpy and off color unless they are sanded back well and given a good undercoat so make sure they do this.