PDA

View Full Version : Aargh - how hard is it to try and test drive a Barina SRi?

blackSRi
12th May 2005, 01:44 AM
Ok, I live in Perth, and I have been chasing a test drive of the new(ish) Barina SRi for four weeks - before I leave for 7 weeks in Europe.
I have to order a car on Friday to replace my current lease thats ceasing in July.
As soon as I ask a dealer that I see one at they say we just got it in and its already sold, or if I visit another dealer (that has been confirmed by the dealer I visit as having one), they haven't got it or it's sold, in fact what most say is that they only get one in if it's ordered (and built to order).

What I want to know is:
1. Is it worth test driving? I mean I have an '02 Astra SRi, will I find the Barina SRi a great drive? or won't I be impressed? Is it really small compared to my SRi?
2. How different is it to the '02 Barina SRi? much of a difference?
3. Is it true production has slowed and not many are reaching Oz?
4. Is the motor the same as the 1.8 in the Astra Classic?
5. Is it really a suitable car for driving long distances in the country?
6. How long will I have to wait if I order?

Any advice would be great, or a test drive even better (anyone with dealer info about Perth stock?) - darn dealers out here in the West only want to flog V8's and Commodore V6s.
Might have to go Corolla Sportivo..... :wink:

Gildo
12th May 2005, 08:24 AM
Hey, black SRi
well to start off The barina SRi has won motors bang for your buck under $30,000 3 years in arow, that has to say something about the car!!
I drive it regually about 45 min at a time, and there is no problem the car handles beautifly and is very comftable.
The size is very decieving, i normally have 3 big guys (around 90 kg) in the back and they are fine.
The basic engine is the same as the astra classic, but the torque band is different and there is no engine deadening on the top so you can hear the engine alot more.
The production hasnt slowed, its just that less and less are reaching australia becuase we get the overflow from the other countries, meaning what ever isnt sold comes to australia.
Im not 100% sure about the differencec from the 02 - the face lift model, but from what i can tell its just a body facelift, lost its traction control, and a few things added in the interior.

It took 2 weeks for mine to arive as i ordered 1 that was already on the boat heading to australia.

p.s Have you herd the tinny engine/exhaust noise of the new corolla sportivo????? :(

break
12th May 2005, 08:47 AM
I'm wondering why your looking to downgrade from the Astra SRi to the Barina SRi?!

I would be trying to move up in the world to something like a Clio Sport/206 GTi etc.

oneightoo
12th May 2005, 09:26 AM
i am 6'5" drive the astra SRI, drove my flatmates barina SRi a few times, no problem with leg room.. the car feels good to drive, i reckon it would go pretty well against other astra SRi's at the line..

rjastra
12th May 2005, 12:52 PM
My sister has a MY05 Sri... great car - she loves it. But she had to wait 7 weeks for it to arrive. Sis has a black one... but I thinkthe silver is the best colour.

As for this idea of Oz getting "overflow" from other countries... sounds a bit suss. Holden just doesn't bring in boatloads of the SRI.. It is a small seller and they don't want to have unwanted stock lying around.

As for the idea of trading upto a 206/Clio.. think very carefully.
The Clio depreciates like a lead ballon and the quaility/service is extremely patchy.
For a car that is suppose to be best in class and fairly rare there seems to be an awful lot for sale secondhand.

The 206 is better in this regard but is not the best drive in the class so why bother buying it?

Get the Barina and save some money :) or.... get a Golf Gti ;)

Forget the corolla. The only reason people look at it is because of the power output - 141kw. The effective rev range is about 1200rpm. It was a pain in the Celica and the corolla makes it worse by being even heavier.

break
12th May 2005, 01:07 PM
The Clio depreciates like a lead ballon and the quaility/service is extremely patchy.
For a car that is suppose to be best in class and fairly rare there seems to be an awful lot for sale secondhand.

The 206 is better in this regard but is not the best drive in the class so why bother buying it?I haven't seen even one Clio Sport in the Qld trading post for the last few weeks :(

I'd like to hear where you experienced bad quality/service with the Renault however.

oneightoo
12th May 2005, 01:13 PM
my mate has the corolla sportivo, and if it has 141kw of power and that excites you, think again.. it doesnt go that well.. my SRi beats it every time..

Vampire
12th May 2005, 01:38 PM
I've got the 03 model, took the dealers 3 weeks to get it in.. which dealers did you go to may i ask?

blackSRi
12th May 2005, 02:08 PM
Hi, all, thanks for the info.
I am not looking at trading up as I can't really afford to - I have a new mortgage.
The Astra SRi I have is lease (I have extended it to it's max of 3yrs so in July it must go back for sale by the fleet company) - and no, I don't want a secondhand car cos of depreciation, and a lease is better for tax savings for me.

This week I have driven a manual Mazda3 SP23 and auto Magna ES and a manual Corolla Sportivo. The Corolla was hard to push it into the high rev ranges to get the power, it's torque wasn't good (not like the Astra SRi), but I thought it drove fine on the hwy and around the burbs at 50km (smooth 6-speed gearbox, climate control and seating possie were all fine in my book).
As it's a leased car next that I am going for, the fleet and Aussie manufacturer discount is also a consideration for final price (hence why the Magna is included).

Which dealers- Citys, North City, Brian Gardner, Goldies, Shacks, Melville, Youngs.
(I have rang or visited the first two every week for the last 5 weeks as AHG are the biggest, then I also called in on both last wed and on Sat when I got a bulb. I called then both again last night, and I visited the middle 4 - Gardners etc last night, Youngs on Monday after work).

JohnBu
12th May 2005, 04:23 PM
if money is an issue..

why dont you release your current car?

blackSRi
12th May 2005, 05:13 PM
Umm, cannot re-lease my car, Custom Fleet only do a max of 3 years operating lease for new cars - I did a 24 month lease originally and extended it last year to the maximum limit - another 12 months (36 months total is the maximum).
If I wanted to keep driving it I would need to:
a) buy it off them (for agreed sum), or,
b) go to the auction.

But when you can buy the same car as mine for $19,990 (see my FS post) and that one has only done 38,000km (mine will have done 51,000km), then $23-24k agreed value doesn't look so hot.

rjastra
12th May 2005, 06:10 PM
haven't seen even one Clio Sport in the Qld trading post for the last few weeks

Look on carsales.com.au
The problems those guy have with the Sport would make me drive it off a cliff.

Blacksri... have you looked at the Fiest Zetec?

If you are looking for a car try www.miprice.com.au

Bernard Siong
12th May 2005, 09:41 PM
i love the clio sport

apparently the sportivo corolla doesnt handle that good
but i have no idea, it only what i've heard from my mate
but he;s got a type R so aot of cars are crap to him

Degen-Astra
12th May 2005, 10:53 PM
Just a thing with the motor...from memory the Barina SRi has the old 92kw 1.8 motor, as opposed to the current Astra Classic 90kw motor.

rjastra
12th May 2005, 11:07 PM
Just a thing with the motor...from memory the Barina SRi has the old 92kw 1.8 motor, as opposed to the current Astra Classic 90kw motor.

Hmmm... the Barina's kw/Nm arrive 400/200 rpm higher in the rev range.
Looks like they ahve tuned it to be slightly peakier than the new Astra.

dan_kind
13th May 2005, 12:05 AM
The car hammers.

blackSRi
13th May 2005, 07:04 PM
Yeah looked at the Zetec, way too pricey and not as feature rich as the astra, not super bang for money. Oh well I will see what fleet prices I get.

shaohaok
15th May 2005, 01:17 AM
my mate has the corolla sportivo, and if it has 141kw of power and that excites you, think again.. it doesnt go that well.. my SRi beats it every time..

really? how much did u beat it by?

shaohaok
15th May 2005, 01:26 AM
My sister has a MY05 Sri... great car - she loves it. But she had to wait 7 weeks for it to arrive. Sis has a black one... but I thinkthe silver is the best colour.

As for this idea of Oz getting "overflow" from other countries... sounds a bit suss. Holden just doesn't bring in boatloads of the SRI.. It is a small seller and they don't want to have unwanted stock lying around.

The 206 is better in this regard but is not the best drive in the class so why bother buying it?

Get the Barina and save some money :) or.... get a Golf Gti ;)

Forget the corolla. The only reason people look at it is because of the power output - 141kw. The effective rev range is about 1200rpm. It was a pain in the Celica and the corolla makes it worse by being even heavier.

2200rpm actually :P

it's not that bad! :cry: