PDA

View Full Version : camber kit

Bernard Siong
12th May 2005, 12:25 AM
i'm taking my car back to ozzy tyres pretty soon for a camber kit/bolt and wheel alignment. total cost is $190
does this sound fair? any suggestions

does brand really matter
i could probably get the whiteline cheap cause i can order thru work but its only a bolt?

InsaneAsylum
12th May 2005, 08:40 AM
my understanding is that the camber kits are offsetholed bushes.

take a look at k-mac, they're roughly US$100 per end, supply only.

http://www.k-mac.com.au/

Bernard Siong
12th May 2005, 11:00 AM
i just rang kmac to see
and they quoted me $600! wtf?
i asked if the astra was the ball joint or the bolt and he said the bolt...
apparently hondas and that have the ball joints which cost 400-500

InsaneAsylum
12th May 2005, 11:29 AM
true wtf??

on the website, they quote US $110 for each end on a vectra, so US$220 is not AU$600. the guy sounds like he's got no idea if you ask me.

taken from their website:

Pricing: Letter after Part No. (#) represents Price Category
F $110US

plus the pictures show offset bushes and bolts

i agree though, $150 per bolt is a bit steep, if it's true

Namus
12th May 2005, 04:50 PM
why do you need camber for man? unless u plan on spending most of ur time at the race track, camber is a waste of time. end of story.

get a whiteline rear swaybar instead IMO

Nem
12th May 2005, 05:28 PM
Whiteline have a camber kit I believe. I'd give them a ring to make sure though.

OzzySRi
12th May 2005, 05:29 PM
camber bolts r just replacement lower strut bolts with an offset lobe on them (kinda like a cam), so u can dial in the desired camber. bought mine for $50, fitted myself $0, wheel alignment $35.

worth it i reckon. even only for the reason that they save u from chewing out ur tyres.

Al

no1joey
12th May 2005, 05:35 PM
Q. would u feel the difference in a lowered car after getting a camber kit ??

Wattie
12th May 2005, 06:03 PM
camber bolts r just replacement lower strut bolts with an offset lobe on them (kinda like a cam), so u can dial in the desired camber. bought mine for $50, fitted myself $0, wheel alignment $35.

worth it i reckon. even only for the reason that they save u from chewing out ur tyres.

Al
i paid same but they fitted while aligning...

Bernard Siong
12th May 2005, 09:27 PM
why do you need camber for man? unless u plan on spending most of ur time at the race track, camber is a waste of time. end of story.

get a whiteline rear swaybar instead IMO

my cars been lowered 75mm
my tyres go faster then a tank of petrol
camber kit is a very wise decision i think

i rang whiteline, they dont fit they only supply
i want it fitted and all

dont get a whiteline sway bar unless ur planing spending ur time on a race track namus hahaha
just cause you get it doesnt mean its for track. its just for better street handling

NUTTTR
12th May 2005, 11:31 PM
someone advertised in the forum the other day about parts like that, camber kit was ~$60 or so?? I was quoted $80/bolt i was ready to tell the guy to get ****ed! But changed my mind, researched and will get some off the guy on the forums once i get some money :D
Aaron

InsaneAsylum
13th May 2005, 09:07 AM
yeah agreed i'm only running 40mm lowered springs and about -2+ degree camber i want to bring it back to at least 1 degree as the insides of the tyres wear

WHERE CAN YOU GET THEM FOR $50????

Namus
13th May 2005, 03:58 PM
i'm pretty sure that's a castor kit but it's not my car so meh

Anonymous
13th May 2005, 04:49 PM
i say go for it. nothing better then having a well sorted suspension package, even if your cars not a lotus elise! :P

OzzySRi
13th May 2005, 06:19 PM
camber is a waste of time. end of story.

very misguided my friend. correct camber is important to good geometry. we're not out to dial up huge neg camber like the race cars but more to dial out excessive neg camber that u get from a lowering job. much more stable drive n u dont chew out the inside edge of ur tyres.

as for castor... thats another story.

$50 buck camber bolts?? ..... ebay is friend :) the bolts arent really car specific. just make sure they are the right thickness

Al

Bernard Siong
14th May 2005, 02:21 AM
i say go for it. nothing better then having a well sorted suspension package, even if your cars not a lotus elise! :P

haha great minds think alike
after this its going to be the big save up for koni yellows bro

Wattie
14th May 2005, 10:19 AM

wouldnt that be turning the astra into something its not??
like a certain 4 door corsa?? :?

Namus
14th May 2005, 11:03 AM
yeah correct camber is good; personally i don't see the point of going to lengths and putting pins in is all; just wheel alignment and done...but that's me

zoidberg
14th May 2005, 11:59 AM
I dont mean to sound stupid but what is Castor and what are then benifits? :oops:

Wattie
14th May 2005, 02:11 PM
caster makes your car turn in quicker, its kinda like bending the forks back on your pushbike. if its too straight up and down, you will have trouble drivin straight.

Bernard Siong
14th May 2005, 07:34 PM
yeah correct camber is good; personally i don't see the point of going to lengths and putting pins in is all; just wheel alignment and done...but that's me

if only it was that easy everyone would be saving alot of money

OzzySRi
15th May 2005, 12:18 PM

wheel alignment will only correct ur toe-in/toe-out... i.e if ur pidgeon toe'd
camber is the 'lean' of the wheel... ie how much it leans in at the top
castor is the 'rake' angle of the strut... ie the wheel hub angle in relation to the strut top

Namus
15th May 2005, 12:26 PM

if only it was that easy everyone would be saving alot of money

again; that's just me

thanks ozzy for clearing that up

Bernard Siong
15th May 2005, 07:26 PM
u do have a point actually namus

can some one clear up why we dont all just get wheel allignents?
do they not last very long in lowered cars
or they only help a little bit?
does the camber kit have to be re alligned often? is is set for a good period of time like a car that has not been lowered

Wattie
15th May 2005, 10:33 PM
wheel alignments are fine, but when you suspension is modded ie lowered, the standard adjustments can run out of travel, so pins etc need to be used. sometimes your lucky and it doesnt need extra bits, some cars things arent adjustable, like the back of my vect, not much can be adjusted on the rear.