PDA

View Full Version : What to do with SRi 2.2..

Seus
9th March 2004, 04:33 PM
Hey
i'm not too sure about the options
i don't want to put a large ammount of money like over $6k, but i wouldn't mind giving it abit more.
the only things i can think of so far are exhaust and/or intake systems.
are there any other options that someone could suggest
anyone have a 2.2 SRi and can advise me on what to do, tell me what you have done?

thanks in advance

cheers, Ben

Anonymous
9th March 2004, 04:46 PM
Most of the 2.2 Owners here do the Following:
De-Restrict the Air Box(I done that)
Aftermarket Air Filter(K&N Panel for me & Aus_SRi)
Change the Exhaust to 2"-2.25" all the way Thru(I have 2" all way thru,Stock Rear Muffler)
I also have a Chip,Exhaust Cam and Extractors that came with the Car(2nd Hand Demo)
Doing the 1st 3 makes a Difference, Better Acceleration and so Forth.
I find mine has more Torque and has Power right up to Redline(6500rpm).

Seus
9th March 2004, 05:06 PM
Most of the 2.2 Owners here do the Following:
De-Restrict the Air Box(I done that)
Aftermarket Air Filter(K&N Panel for me & Aus_SRi)
Change the Exhaust to 2"-2.25" all the way Thru(I have 2" all way thru,Stock Rear Muffler)
I also have a Chip,Exhaust Cam and Extractors that came with the Car(2nd Hand Demo)
Doing the 1st 3 makes a Difference, Better Acceleration and so Forth.
I find mine has more Torque and has Power right up to Redline(6500rpm).

thanks for scu ha quick reply!
destricitng the air box dosn't sound too much of a process,
does it need to be done professionally and is it costly?
also about exhaust, my friend got a dual(not real dual) exhaust on his lancer but it just sounds awful, fartlike, u know
do u have to keep a relatively small diameter to avoid that or is it more the muffler?
thanks dude

really apreciate the feedback

Anonymous
9th March 2004, 05:18 PM
Doing the Air Box is Fairly Easy.
http://groups.msn.com/opelaustralia/howtos1.msnw?action=view_list&row=14&viewtype=2&so rtstring=
That link is from the Old Site and Thanks M40COO for making that How To as Well, It says 1.6 16v. But its same as 1.8 and 2.2.
Exhausts, Thats more the Rear Muffler thats give it that Fart Cannon Sound. Mine just Sounds deeper, Quiet as standard @ Idle and Normal Driving and Deep and Louder than Stock @ Higher revs(4500-6500rpm) thats with a Standard Muffler, I had a 5" Diameter Stainless on the Back and It sounds Dreadful.

GOZOFF
23rd March 2004, 11:51 AM
Hey
i don't want to put a large ammount of money like over $6k, but i wouldn't mind giving it abit more.
anyone have a 2.2 SRi and can advise me on what to do, tell me what you have done?

thanks in advance

cheers, Ben

Go here you may be able to find what you want in your price range http://www.qsz.com.au/

Degen-Astra
23rd March 2004, 04:24 PM
K&N Part No. 33-2213 (Just replaces the stock air filter)

While we are on the subject of de-restricting an airbox. There is a theory that a bell mouth on the top part of the airbox (the exit toward the engine) will help deliver air flow that is less turbulent so the air is able to pass through faster. And in turn help ones throttle response.

Anyone have suggestions, thoughts or proof either way this is the case?

Anonymous
23rd March 2004, 05:43 PM
Never have anything related to an intake facing towards the engine. This will only suck hot air in. The only exception to the rule is a heat shield.

Degen-Astra
23rd March 2004, 05:48 PM
Think you mis-understood my point Paul.

The exiting tube from the airbox (after air has passed through panel filter) is what i am talking about. Having a bellmouth mounted INSIDE the airbox at the exiting mouth.

Clearer pic now?

Anonymous
23rd March 2004, 06:17 PM
Yeah i can see what your talking about now.
hmmm might just work

Seus
24th March 2004, 09:39 PM
Hey

thanks in advance

cheers, Ben

Go here you may be able to find what you want in your price range http://www.qsz.com.au/

does anyone have a recommended tuning place in sydney for similar type work as qsz?

FreeRide
31st March 2004, 09:38 PM
Kid_SRi - you said that yours came with extractors when you bought it. Do you know who made them? I have been trying (unsuccessfully) for a while to get some but all the muffler & exhaust places near me say their suppliers (probably Hurricane) are "working on it"

Cheers

Anonymous
1st April 2004, 04:57 PM
Kid_SRi - you said that yours came with extractors when you bought it. Do you know who made them? I have been trying (unsuccessfully) for a while to get some but all the muffler & exhaust places near me say their suppliers (probably Hurricane) are "working on it"

Cheers

I gather they came From Germany.
The Former Owner was the Dealer Owner and he said he been to Germany bought stuff, I'm not sure if he got the Extractors, Chip and Cams then.
I think Genie and HM Headers are working on Extractors for Both SRi Models. HM Headers make all the Exhaust for HSV and Tickford so they should have come up with some thing.

FreeRide
6th April 2004, 05:08 PM
No wuckers. I got a call from my local exhaust guru to say that they will have Aussie made ones in their hot little hands in about 2 weeks. :D Not sure what the price will be yet but it should be fairly reasonable.