PDA

View Full Version : Powerchip vs Unichip

lowey22
10th May 2005, 01:55 PM
what's the differences between them? i did a search but couldnt find anything that compares them. when they put them in do they dyno?

im pretty keen on getting a chip but dont know which i should be getting...

Jackson
10th May 2005, 02:31 PM
powerchip is setup for a standard car, unichip can be tuned on a dyno

Wattie
10th May 2005, 02:36 PM
mohawk has unichip, its programmable, mr_astra has powerchip, its not programmable.

lowey22
10th May 2005, 02:47 PM
cool, thanks. i have an astra (non turbo) and the powerchip website says i can get a 12kw gain. i couldnt find a site for unichip though. any thoughts on what i should get? the powerchip is about $900, but no idea how much the unichip is...

Jackson
10th May 2005, 03:00 PM
the Uni chip will be more expensive, but the good thing is if you do any mods you can have it tuned to those mods.

whereas powerchip you can't do that,

someone is selling a unichip on this site right now, think he wants $1100.00 he said it cost him$1800 installed and tuned.

pretty sure he had an astra as well , go look in for sale section!

lowey22
10th May 2005, 03:02 PM
right, just found somewhere that explains unichip in detail. so basically if i was going to do heaps of mods top my car a unichip would be abel to be programmed for each of these. but wouldnt a powerchip also adjust (like the current ECU does automatically) if i put an extra mod on, but maybe not as much as a unichip (as it is manually tuned)?

lowey22
10th May 2005, 03:05 PM
the Uni chip will be more expensive, but the good thing is if you do any mods you can have it tuned to those mods.

whereas powerchip you can't do that,

someone is selling a unichip on this site right now, think he wants $1100.00 he said it cost him$1800 installed and tuned.

pretty sure he had an astra as well , go look in for sale section!

saw that for sale, i dont think hes in my area and also would rather buy new.

Namus
10th May 2005, 03:26 PM
cool, thanks. i have an astra (non turbo) and the powerchip website says i can get a 12kw gain. i couldnt find a site for unichip though. any thoughts on what i should get? the powerchip is about $900, but no idea how much the unichip is...

u drive a 1.8l? I was thinking of getting the powerchip as well....probably would have but as I'm poor person I was put off by the following (NOTE: I'm not bagging powerchip; these are just facts)

- $900; yes correct price; but then gotta pay extra $100-ish for fitting

- with powerchip, u HAVE to switch to premium unleaded; otherwise any gains u may experience will be negated/lost

lowey22
10th May 2005, 03:37 PM

u drive a 1.8l? I was thinking of getting the powerchip as well....probably would have but as I'm poor person I was put off by the following (NOTE: I'm not bagging powerchip; these are just facts)

- $900; yes correct price; but then gotta pay extra $100-ish for fitting

- with powerchip, u HAVE to switch to premium unleaded; otherwise any gains u may experience will be negated/lost

yes 1.8L. the power in it is okish (a couple of mods help a little, although the 18s feel like they slow it down) but apart from a s/c or turbo, theres not much i can do, and 12kw would be great.

i agree about the price, i am also poor, but ive started saving for it, may take a couple of months though...

i spoke to the dealer in townsville and i think he quoted my $870 or $970 including fitting.

i already use premium unleaded all the time (ultimate) so that doesnt really worry me.

Namus
10th May 2005, 03:40 PM
oh well in that case; for ur car then I'd say the powerchip; on the site; go to the reviews/feedback section (or wateva it's called) and read some of them...should leave you in no mind about whether or not to proceed...

lowey22
10th May 2005, 04:10 PM
yep. powerchip it is. unless anyone can convince me otherwise? savings is at $120 in 2 weeks! :mrgreen:

InsaneAsylum
10th May 2005, 04:41 PM
if your happy with a pod filter, exhaust and powerchip being your performance mods, then go for a powerchip... if you want to be able to remap the fuel system for forced induction later down the track, don't get a powerchip, get a piggyback like the unichip.

another piggyback is the perfect power smt-6.

lowey22
10th May 2005, 05:16 PM
if your happy with a pod filter, exhaust and powerchip being your performance mods, then go for a powerchip... if you want to be able to remap the fuel system for forced induction later down the track, don't get a powerchip, get a piggyback like the unichip.

another piggyback is the perfect power smt-6.

yeah, i think that is all i will do performance wise. thought about s/c'ing, but thats costly and if ive got the $ to do that down the road then a new chip wont bother me.

auzvectra
10th May 2005, 05:45 PM
powerchip CAN be reprogramed!!!
have done a lot of reasearch into it, asked the question, can it b customised.
YES it can. u can chang nething u want, but powerchip give a warranty and garantee with their upgrade, so the standard upgrades will cover ne damages caused by the upgrade.
dont b missled by false information, ring them for yourself and ask, speak to JOSH CROSS, he is who i've been talking too, he's really helpful.
they have the gold and gold 98 for different fuel levels, but 98ron fuel is better to run neway, forget the instant costs, n think bout the long term costs.
oh yeah, n environment too.
powerchip is designed to be able to adjust automatically to small modifacations, and for a install charge will modify and reinstall the software to suit other mods.
rrp $990 and $100 install.
speak to your local installer, they may give u a better price.
i would sujest powerchip, definately.
as i've heard a lot of bad things bout the unichip, like constant ecu codes, loss of power after instalation, but check it out for ur self, thats just my beleif.
search "APS" "Air Power Systems", that'll give u the local dealers, from the aps site.
brisbane has 2, 1 of being Rob Ramano, think thats how u spell it.
they cost between $1200 and $1800, depending on where u go!

auzvectra
10th May 2005, 07:00 PM
got sujested the same thing yesterday by my tuner.
but would like to keep the warranty, and am sure that a aftermarket computer would just about destroy the warranty.

lowey22
10th May 2005, 07:11 PM
thanks for that auzvectra, very helpful :D

blah chips just go and get a aftermarket ecu and stop wasting time i have seen power chip fail and uni chip fail aswell :bang:

how much does an aftermarket one cost and what are they called?

auzvectra
10th May 2005, 07:31 PM
microtech, wolf3d, motech (expensive), haltech, just a few.
think microtech is 1 of the cheapest, have heard of bout a grand, plus tuning, but not sure these days.
have been told that haltech is better, as it has a app for built in elec boost control.
but it's just pref i think.

Anonymous
10th May 2005, 07:31 PM
got sujested the same thing yesterday by my tuner.
but would like to keep the warranty, and am sure that a aftermarket computer would just about destroy the warranty.

then do it after ur warranty runs out

auzvectra
10th May 2005, 07:35 PM
mine is less than 2 months old, n only 9K.
i got ages :cry: .
thinkn of justr forgettn the warranty wit the motor but, n doin a little bit of work :twisted: .

Anonymous
10th May 2005, 07:42 PM
ok for u turbo owners this is just a suggestion for a aftermaket ecu
motec(m400)
-4 injector outputs
-4 ignition outputs
-waterproof plastic connector withplated contacts
-512kByte logging memory(option)
-1 wideband lambda input(option)
-other optinal functios include : traction control boost enhancemant(antilag) hi/lo injecton,gear change ignition cut,cam control,drive by wire

mr_astra_retired
10th May 2005, 07:42 PM
I would suggest powerchip

Greg K
10th May 2005, 08:17 PM
i have always been confused with this dilemma!

i am tending towards powerchip now that i have found out it can be reprogrammed!!
thanks guys!

auzvectra
10th May 2005, 08:33 PM
i think it came about due to the fact that some computers have an eprom (chip), but as the astra and vectras dont, the ecu can be reprogramed directly, thus the powerchip is reprogrammable, when u go to get it done, they download ur software, send it down to powerchip, they check it, adjust the software to suit, send it back to the installer, they reload this new software, and do any minor corrections need.
after install, u can go back, n for the small price of the install, get it modified to suit, such as boost, ect...
hope this helps, as i've plenty of time on the phone, n sending and receiving emails.
i am actually looking at different software at the moment, that may be a little more benificial than the powerchip.
just a local tuner, that really knows what he's doin.
hopeing for a little more torque than the powerchip. :twisted: .
am disapionted with the small increase in torque, bout the only thing wrong but.
oh yeah also, it needs a little more rpm, just fot that annoying 1st where it just starts to really open up when u gotta change gears. :evil: .

Anonymous
10th May 2005, 08:45 PM
dont worry about the warranty just do it :lol:

auzvectra
10th May 2005, 08:52 PM
nah, would rather save a little more money, so when i beack the gbox or something like, i can upgrade,
mmmmmm, 6spd, Lsd. :twisted:

Vectracious
13th May 2005, 09:04 AM
Lets keep it nice people.....

Andy!
18th May 2005, 12:26 PM
i have a powerchip gold 98 in my calibra and id recomend them too ya mines been very good :)

break
18th May 2005, 02:29 PM
Seriously... your wasting your money spending ~$1k on a chip.

New cams and a ported head will give you LOTS more power for only slightly more $$$.

Regardless... your fighting a losing battle. Forced induction is the only way to go... and even then its pointless for a non turbo Astra.

Just save your $$$, sell your car... and get an Astra Turbo and you'll have a much quicker and better car all round. Much better way to spend money IMO.

extralarge
18th May 2005, 02:34 PM
...Forced induction is the only way to go... and even then its pointless for a non turbo Astra.

why is it pointless?

a few people here have had good results with putting a turbo on a 1.8L engine.

someone posted up an article with a sorted 1.8 turbo astra having more power than the 2.0t. could have been autospeed...

i recon that you will notice some small extra power, will get used to it pretty quick and want more... if the chip doesn't support forced induction control, its not great value.

Anonymous
19th May 2005, 03:04 PM
Seriously... your wasting your money spending ~$1k on a chip.

New cams and a ported head will give you LOTS more power for only slightly more $$$.

Regardless... your fighting a losing battle. Forced induction is the only way to go... and even then its pointless for a non turbo Astra.

Just save your $$$, sell your car... and get an Astra Turbo and you'll have a much quicker and better car all round. Much better way to spend money IMO.

your advice is piontless :lol:

break
19th May 2005, 03:25 PM
...Forced induction is the only way to go... and even then its pointless for a non turbo Astra.

why is it pointless?The $5-6k your going to spend turbo'ing is much better spent on the Astra Turbo which already has the suspesnion package/brakes/interior/warranty etc.

Anything bar exhaust/filter on a NA car is going to cost alot more, HP to cost wise, compared to the gain in HP you will receive than fitting a forced induction setup.

Anonymous
19th May 2005, 03:26 PM

why is it pointless?The $5-6k your going to spend turbo'ing is much better spent on the Astra Turbo which already has the suspesnion package/brakes/interior/warranty etc.

Anything bar exhaust/filter on a NA car is going to cost alot more, HP to cost wise, compared to the gain in HP you will receive than fitting a forced induction setup.

and you have done this mod

Andy!
19th May 2005, 03:29 PM
good luck getting forced induction for 1k some people only want a little more power and improved driveablity
also would you get an extra 17kw from ported head and new cams

id love forced induction but i cant afford it or the insurance
also i got my chip at a special price second hand for 300

i am only recomending the product saying it does what it says not sayin it is the best value for money or it gives the most power increase
if you want power for money nos is the cheapest option but not everyone wants nos...

anyway thats my say

Mr T
19th May 2005, 03:34 PM
oh for christ sake...every ones a bloody expert on here arn't they :bang: :bang:

InsaneAsylum
19th May 2005, 03:41 PM
http://s89199910.onlinehome.us/humour/chillpill2.jpg

lowey22
19th May 2005, 04:51 PM
oh dear, this is all a little op topic isn't it? the thread is "Powerchip vs Unichip" not about turbo'ing a 1.8L. that topic has come up heaps in other threads and always gets nowhere. anytime someone who has a 1.8L suggests that they want to do something to their car, someone always says its pointless or u r wasting your money. get over it!

ok, rant ended. i'll take 5 of those pills...

astralavista
23rd July 2005, 11:29 PM
OK now some time has passed ....has anyone Powerchipped a bog standard 1.8 non turbo and what are the results?

1. Fuel economy impost.
2. Torque
3. Power
4. General drivability

Just wonderin and looking for real experiences if there is any..

Namus
24th July 2005, 08:24 AM
break; not sure about u; but most of us don't have $5-6k to spend in one big smack like that;

fair enuf; IF we did then perhaps that would be the way to go; but if u're on a relatively limited budget; then a powerchip would be the way to go IMO....

blueraven
6th August 2005, 07:08 PM
i went nitrous oxide for a while.

i dont care what anyone 'thinks' they know about nitrous. I did it, i installed and removed my kit myself. i ran it at the strip and had it dyno'ed to check it all out before and after. It is the absolute best way to get loads more power for under a thousand dollars. (i can sort you out for $800 ..$1000 with a purge kit).

i sold it because someone offerme twice what i paid for it, and i was deperate for money. i just boughta powerchip this week for a VERY low price, and will be installing it and dyno testing it.

guys, we all know that our cars will probably never come close to a decent sports car (skylines, wrx's..evo's etc)...so my advice is this: Dont go spening loads and loads of your money getting a little bit here and a liitle bit there. just get the basics (exhaust, good filter (not pod :P) and a chip.) keeo her well serviced and in good tune. if she isnt enough for you then, sell up and buy something that will keep you satisfied. My calibra is on the verge of no longer being satifying to me...so if anyone wants a prime example... ;)

(and yes, its quicker than any astra exculding the turbo's :D)

Namus
7th August 2005, 03:03 PM
well said blueraven.....that's why i have not one 'go-fast' mod on my car...all aesthetics/looks mods.....if i want a fast car; i'll go out and buy one...

Wattie
7th August 2005, 06:09 PM
i'll be going with unichip, ita proven, "live" tuned on the dyno, for my mod and engine condition. porting and polishing will need a chip to get an advantage anyway, coz more air will make the computer drop more fuel to an already rich mixture.
its proven unichip gets better kw's so i'll save the cash and do it.

SSS_Hoon
8th August 2005, 04:44 PM
here is my opinion, it all depends on what you want to do in the future.

if u plan on going all out on a bossted engine then aftermarket ecu is the go,
if u plan on jsut doing a mild turbo conversion then i would sugest something like the greddy emange and eo1 perfect partners.

but if you are going to stay n/a and only do the usual mods filter zorst and cai then the powerchip,
but with n/a with more mods then that like cams and so on then the unichip or even after market here too.

SSS_Hoon

astralavista
8th August 2005, 08:04 PM
All I want to know is ... has anyone had real experience, someone who has put a Powerchip in a stock 1.8l Astra. AH opreferred but any model would do.
What is the improvement like?
Take off torque in a manual?
How does it effect economy apart from using higher octane fuel?
Is it worth it?

Wattie
8th August 2005, 08:12 PM
well said blueraven.....that's why i have not one 'go-fast' mod on my car...all aesthetics/looks mods.....if i want a fast car; i'll go out and buy one...
i may be nosey, but dont you have a k&n panel filter??
Isnt that the official "go-fast" bit?? hmmmzzz

astralavista
8th August 2005, 08:33 PM
What will a K&N do? Testing in other cars has shown the improvement is most likely in the mind of the driver rather than the car......UNLESS you alter the cold air flow as well....or is this wrong?

Wattie
9th August 2005, 11:50 AM
well better flow can only mean more poewer, even if its only minor...
i would assume that namus also has a de-restricted airbox... as 99% of astra owners on this site do.

Wattie
9th August 2005, 11:52 AM
and when asked on another thread "are k&n filters really worth it?"
i'll quote namus "worked for me!"
hmmm "Go Fast Bitz"

Namus
9th August 2005, 09:43 PM
i may be nosey, but dont you have a k&n panel filter??
Isnt that the official "go-fast" bit?? hmmmzzz

yes i have a k&n filter; no it's NOT a go-fast bit because...

mine is an auto; no, not de-restricted airbox; no other go-fast mods like exhaust or chip...i can see how it can be interpreted as that tho...

(as mine is an auto) the filter on mine makes power delivery smoother and not as 'clunky' between gear shifts...doesn't give more power; or at least highly doubtful...hence why i said it's not a go-fast bit... 8)

astralavista
10th August 2005, 12:11 AM
Some drivability improvement with K&N.
Thanks Mate This is the exact sort of feedback I've been looking for.
That is very useful and I will go get one as that is one thing I am interested in. I suspect that the powerchip and the K&N will deliver exactly what I want and that is drivability improvement rather than grunt or go fast. The 1.8 is a pretty nice little engine once it is spinning and all I think is the General has not spent enough effort on fine tuning it to the AH.

Actually Mine runs so much better in the colder months ....It is more pronounced than any other car I've driven.

As a result I guess improving cold air intake will make a sustainable difference.

I did this on my Dunnydoor SS only to discover the engine management neutralised the improvement over time and the only way to maintain sustainable improvement was an LSEdit or equivelent to the Powerchip.

Wattie
10th August 2005, 06:54 AM
i have exhaust, cold air intake, k&n panel filter, and i have had it dyno'd at 113kw at wheels, (v6 vec) so plus the 30% gives somewhere around the 140kw mark, 125kws is standard. i'll be chipping next...

Namus
10th August 2005, 08:40 AM
Some drivability improvement with K&N.
Thanks Mate This is the exact sort of feedback I've been looking for.
That is very useful and I will go get one as that is one thing I am interested in. I suspect that the powerchip and the K&N will deliver exactly what I want and that is drivability improvement rather than grunt or go fast.

no worries man; perhaps the improvement is more noticeable as mine is an auto, but from all accounts a noticeable improvement is still just that; noticeable...

powerchip alone should give u MUCH better and linear (consistent) power delivery....filter may add a bit more.... 8)