PDA

View Full Version : Saturn 2.0l Supercharged - Sooweeeet maaate!

Nem
9th March 2004, 12:12 PM
Drool.....

http://www.saturn.com/aboutus2/news/pressstory11.jsp

For those of you who arent aware this is the american cousin of our european machines.

Cheers
Ben

Anonymous
9th March 2004, 06:06 PM
Americans love supercharging!

sribear
9th March 2004, 07:40 PM
this has got me stuffed.
From the specs, it looks like a z20, but they reckon they can run 12psi boost from the eaton sc while maintaining 9.5:1 compression.

Can anyone explain this to me?

01CDsedan
9th March 2004, 09:45 PM
Looking at that site, it's pretty clear the Saturn L300 is a Vectra B with modifications, but as for the Ion, I'm fairly certain that's not based on an Opel design. Saturn was supposed to be GM's American answer to Honda (by that I mean high quality compact cars, not overpriced cars for fashion tragics and badge slaves) but it hasn't really worked out that way.

ultim8DTM5
9th March 2004, 10:17 PM
Looked at this a while ago was thinking about engine swaps. It's made by Opel in Kaiserslauten exclusively for GM USA.

Ecotec Supercharged 2.0L I-4 (LSJ) Car Engine

2004 Model Year Summary

• Compact and lightweight modular design
• Global design benefits
• Eaton M62 supercharger and intercooled air induction manifold
• Robust head assembly
• Upgraded stainless steel intake valves
• Sodium filled exhaust valves
• Chain cam drive
• Robust piston and rod assembly
• Robust crankshaft
• Counter-rotating balance shafts
• Improved lubrication
• Fuel delivery
• Ignition system
• High flow exhaust
• Ecotec engine management system

FULL DESCRIPTIONS OF NEW OR CHANGED FEATURES

COMPACT AND LIGHTWEIGHT MODULAR DESIGN
GM Powertrain’s Ecotec 2.0-liter SC (supercharged) four-cylinder engine delivers impressive power for its size and weight. Built off the strengths of GM Powertrain’s naturally aspirated Ecotec 2.2-liter engine, the all-aluminum Ecotec 2.0L supercharged engine employs a four-valve cylinder head; maintenance-free, chain-driven dual overhead camshafts; counter-rotating balance shafts; and an integrated oil cooler. Producing an estimated 200 horsepower and 200 lb.-ft. of torque in a compact, lightweight package, the Ecotec 2.0L engine has undergone the toughest and most comprehensive durability tests ever conducted at GM Powertrain – a testament to its overall quality, reliability, dependability and performance. The Ecotec 2.0L engine, available in the 2004 Saturn ION Red Line, includes a list of design and performance features that make it one of the most advanced four-cylinder engines ever built.

GLOBAL DESIGN BENEFITS
The Ecotec four-cylinder engine family is GM's first true line of global powerplants. The four-valve, overhead cam engines deliver excellent fuel economy and low emissions in a dependable, durable package with low noise and vibration. The Ecotec 2.0L SC incorporates a number of components from the proven Saab 2.0L design, including a direct-mount oil cooler, oil jets for piston cooling, heavy duty pistons, stronger connecting rods, forged steel crankshaft, larger oil sump, sodium-filled exhaust valves for improved durability, and a high-strength aluminum cylinder head. A direct injection gas version of the Ecotec 2.0-liter is available in the 2004 Opel Signum. Another member of the Ecotec family, the Ecotec 2.2L engine, comes standard on the 2004 Chevrolet Malibu, and is also available with Chevrolet Cavalier, Pontiac Sunfire and Grand Am, Oldsmobile Alero, Saturn ION and VUE. Making its debut in the 2000 Saturn L-series, the Ecotec 2.2L is also offered in several European applications, including the Opel Vectra, Astra and Zafira models.

EATON M62 SUPERCHARGER AND INDUCTION SYSTEM
The Eaton M62 supercharger adds 40 percent more power to the Ecotec 2.0L engine compared to a naturally aspirated version. With its 12 psi maximum boost, the new generation Eaton M62 produces blower efficiency at lower rpm for improved durability and reduced noise while delivering instantaneous response with plenty of top-end power. The M62 supercharger utilizes a helical roots compressor and integral pressure control for optimal efficiency and durability. The boosted intake flow exits into an all-new matched intake manifold with an integral air-to-liquid heat exchange intake charge cooler system. An all-new compact single-track, six-rib belt supercharger drive system utilizes a linear tensioning device to further strengthen the already impressive system performance and durability. A microprocessor manages the M62 supercharger, fuel, direct spark delivery systems and the engine’s 68-mm electronic throttle control (ETC) system. ETC, usually reserved for premium V-8 engines, delivers outstanding throttle response, improved reliability and better integration with cruise control electronics for greater overall performance and driveability.

ROBUST HEAD ASSEMBLY
The head assembly on the Ecotec 2.0L SC engine is an advanced design. Semi-permanent mold technology produces a higher strength aluminum casting with enhanced port flow for improved induction and more efficient air delivery to the combustion chamber.

STAINLESS STEEL INTAKE VALVES
The Ecotec 2.0L SC engine design includes upgraded stainless steel intake valves for improved strength and corrosion resistance. Undercut stems are used to improve flow and reduce weight.

SODIUM-FILLED EXHAUST VALVES
The exhaust valves on the Ecotec 2.0L SC engine have sodium-filled stems that promote valve cooling, resulting in longer valve guide and seat life and more thorough combustion.

At normal engine operating temperatures, the sodium inside the valve stem fuses and becomes liquid. The liquid sodium improves conductivity, promoting heat transfer away from the valve face and valve guide to the cooler end of the stem where it can more readily dissipate. This helps maintain a lower and more uniform exhaust valve temperature while reducing wear on the valve guide for better alignment and a more positive seal between the valve seat and the valve face.

CHAIN CAM DRIVE
The camshafts on the Ecotec 2.0L SC engine are driven by a single roller chain that is only 12.5-mm wide compared to the much wider-toothed rubber-belt drive systems. The chain’s smaller dimensions contribute to shorter overall engine length for improved packaging efficiency.

ROBUST PISTON AND ROD ASSEMBLY
The Ecotec 2.0L SC engine is designed from the inside out to handle the demands of a 200-horsepower supercharged engine. A 5.6-mm piston top ring land is utilized for piston strength, allowing optimization of engine performance. The pistons themselves are cooled and lubricated by targeted oil jets that keep their underside, along with the cylinder wall, in a continuous oil bath. The large 23-mm piston pin provides a larger bearing surface to better handle the increased loads of a supercharged engine. The connecting rods have been upgraded, incorporating a larger forged I-beam section for added strength.

ROBUST DROP FORGED STEEL CRANKSHAFT
Like the upper end of the engine, the lower end of the Ecotec 2.0L SC engine is also built to provide lasting performance and durability. The crankshaft is a drop forged steel design that incorporates induction heat-treated fillets for added strength, and cross-drilled, chamfered oil passages for excellent lubrication characteristics.

COUNTER-ROTATING BALANCE SHAFTS
Counter-rotating balance shafts are housed in the cylinder block to cancel the primary vertical imbalance inherent in four-cylinder engines. This design has proven to dramatically reduce vibration throughout a wide range of internal combustion engines.

IMPROVED LUBRICATION
With supercharged engines it is especially important to maintain a high level of lubrication that is effectively distributed to all moving parts. To that end, the Ecotec 2.0L SC engine is built with a large seven-quart oil sump and a crankshaft-driven pump. A block-mounted oil cooler is included to ensure proper lubricant cooling that promotes long engine life.

FUEL DELIVERY
To better utilize the advantages of a supercharged engine, the Ecotec 2.0L SC engine is equipped with sequential port fuel injection and a 380 KPa /19.0 g/s returnless fuel delivery system that helps keep fuel cooler for more efficient combustion.

IGNITION SYSTEM
Performance objectives are also evident with the Ecotec 2.0L SC engine’s coil-on-plug ignition system that delivers maximum voltage to the spark plug for optimal firing and combustion characteristics. The system utilizes a 58X crankshaft position encoder system to ensure ignition timing will be accurate throughout the operating range of this performance engine.

HIGH FLOW EXHAUST
Completing the Ecotec 2.0L SC engine’s performance enhancements is a thin wall, large runner 2.25-inch exhaust manifold for improved flow and reduced back-pressure. High exhaust flow is achieved by utilization of a large 2.5 inch system, combined with a catalytic converter borrowed from the GM Truck line, and a much increased muffler volume. Low exhaust backpressure is a key contributer to the Ecotec 2.0L SC engine’s impressive performance.

ECOTEC ENGINE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
The Ecotec's engine management system computer precisely controls the ignition and fuel injection system based on feedback from two oxygen sensors. The engine control Module (ECM) computer manages many additional system integrated functions such as on-board diagnostics, traction control calculations that adjust engine spark & the electronic throttle (ETC) to avoid wheel slip, and advanced cruise control logic. An added feature provided by the ECM is the monitoring of crankshaft movement, automatically cutting off power to the starter when the engine is already running.

GM VALIDATED ROBUSTNESS
Before going into production, every Ecotec engine variant is subjected to the toughest and most comprehensive validation process ever carried out at GM, having to pass all of the dynamometer and vehicle tests traditionally run by various GM organizations worldwide, including the most severe trials. Coinciding with the rollout of the Ecotec program, general engine durability testing on lab dynamometers was increased by 60 percent. This has been carried forward to the new Ecotec supercharged engine.

In another grueling validation test — the Thermal Cycle test — the supercharged engine was run up to maximum operating temperature, then flushed with ice-cold coolant, shocking the powerplant and its components into sudden contraction. This procedure was performed for 1,000 hours.

Validation included extensive real-world road testing in normal as well as extreme climates. Extensive testing was conducted at GM’s Desert Proving Ground in Arizona, and test trips through Death Valley, GM’s winter proving grounds at Kapuskasing in Ontario, Canada and altitude conditions across the Rocky mountains. The customer benefit from this arduous validation and testing is a powertrain product that offers extended life, high reliability and low operating costs.

The ultimate result is an engine that delivers impressive performance, yet is remarkably smooth and quiet with dependable operation, good fuel economy, great performance and low emissions.

Nem
10th March 2004, 10:05 AM
Looked at this a while ago was thinking about engine swaps.

I noticed that the Eaton M-62 supercharger is available @ CAPA (http://www.capa.com.au/eaton_m62data.htm) for a mere $3000.

From what I understand however you'd have to do more mods to make the car suit the requirements of a forced induction system. (Exhaust and Cam chain etc)

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is where the 2.0 litre has it over the 2.2 SRi I believe.

Cheers
Ben

rjastra
10th March 2004, 12:07 PM
From what I have read this 2L engine is directly related to the 2.2L found in the Sri NOT the 2L found in the SRi Turbo. It is the engine that forms the basis of the rnage of turbo engines in the Saab 9-3. So it is already up tot he task of being super/turbocharged

There is also a new 2.4L version (normally aspirated) coming out with VVT. Power output is 125kw+

Now this would be a nice engine in the Astra SRi :)

Anonymous
10th March 2004, 01:43 PM
The 2.4L would be too heavy for the Astra, and with it only producing 125kw, its pointless.

blackSRi
10th March 2004, 02:35 PM
I think he means the Z22SE 2.2 Astra SRi/Zafira/Vectra normally-aspirated engine setup as a 2.4L config.
(the SAABs run this powerplant as a 2.0L and a 2.3L, both turbo'ed).

That's pretty good as the best the yanks quote out of this engine normally aspirated is 106kW@ 5600 rpm
(Saturn VUE).

http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowertrain/engines/ecotec/apps/index.htm

Anonymous
10th March 2004, 02:40 PM
There is also a new 2.4L version (normally aspirated) coming out with VVT. Power output is 125kw+

Now this would be a nice engine in the Astra SRi :)

Thats what i'm talking about. I think that the 2.4 hay affect the handling of the Astra due to its weight, and with a small power output, it wouldn't be worth it.

blackSRi
10th March 2004, 02:43 PM
How would it get much heavier? surely we aren't talking about many kilos...?
The SAABs don't change much between configs - I found the figures before, but I don't have them handy.

I'll do a Z22SE over a cast-iron block 2.0L (Z20SE?).
What's the weight diff between these two? anyone know?
What I would love to see is the Alu Z22SE turbo'ed - but 125kW is pretty impressive over 107-108kW normally.

Anonymous
10th March 2004, 02:55 PM
Yeah i guess the change would be that great.
I just cant see the point of a 2.4 that produces only 125kw.

blackSRi
10th March 2004, 02:58 PM
You mean nearly 20% more ouput normally aspirated isn't impressive to you?

Anonymous
10th March 2004, 03:03 PM
Hang on hang on how much does the 2.2 produce?

blackSRi
10th March 2004, 04:19 PM
108kW on PULP
http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action/techdata?modelid=2005
(more kW on 98RON, derestricted airbox, chip, exhaust 2.25" straight through etc).

So 16% min improvement or 18% min improvement over the yank Saturn VUE figures.

blackSRi
10th March 2004, 05:55 PM
Check out the 2.4L VVT

http://www.auto-report.net/index.html?gmpt05.html

October 29, 2003
GM Powertrain Debuts New Engines at SEMA
Andrew Charles
AutoReport

GM Powertrain is using the 2003 SEMA trade show in Las Vegas to show off three new engines, including two engines with Displacement on Demand (DOD) cylinder-deactivation technology for improved fuel economy. GM expects two million vehicles with DOD-equipped V-8 and V-6 engines will be on the road by 2008. GM Powertrain is also showcasing a new Ecotec 2.4-liter engine, which brings both larger displacement and variable valve timing to the Ecotec modular family.

General MotorsFor the new LE5 2.4-liter both cylinder bore and stroke are increased in relation to the original Ecotec 2.2-liter engine. The new engine's bore is 88 mm and stroke is 98 mm, versus the 2.2-liter's 86 mm bore and 94.6 mm stroke, yielding a total displacement of 2,384 cc versus the original 2.2-liter's 2,189 cc. Developed to enhance the low- and midrange torque output of the new engine, the new variable valve timing system uses electronically controlled hydraulic camshaft phasers to alter the relationship of the intake and exhaust camshafts as much as 50 degrees relative to the crankshaft.
"We have added technology to improve low-end torque and continue to reduce emissions. For the new Ecotec, variable valve timing helps deliver 90% of the torque peak at as low as 2400 rpm. That sort of responsiveness enormously enhances engine response."
Jay Subhedar, Ecotec global four-cylinder engine assistant chief engineer.
The Ecotec 2.4-liter, with 170 horsepower and 170 lb.-ft. of torque, will debut on the all-new 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt. The Cobalt will also be available with the latest version of the Ecotec 2.2-liter, expected to produce better than 140 hp at 5600 rpm and 150 lb-ft of torque at 4000 rpm.

Here's a picture:

http://www.sub300.com/gm/naicob1.jpg

Anonymous
10th March 2004, 07:38 PM
The 2.4L would be too heavy for the Astra, and with it only producing 125kw, its pointless.

Basically Paula :lol:
What ya said is Like having a 302 Cleveland in a Fairmont then changing it to 351. Its only Crank and Rods and the Weight is the same.

rjastra
10th March 2004, 10:37 PM

LOL... the all alloy 2,2L SRI is lighter than the turbo unit in the SRI Turbo.
The 2.4L would be little if any heavier than the 2.2L unit.

From the specs the SRI is 50kg lighter than the SRi Turbo. A fair whack of that must be the engine.

Anonymous
10th March 2004, 10:43 PM
My appologies Glenda :lol:

Yeah well now that i see figures, i can see the point.
Appologies to all.

Anonymous
11th March 2004, 03:53 PM
My appologies Glenda :lol:

Yeah well now that i see figures, i can see the point.
Appologies to all.

Apology Accepted Pauline :D

Nem
11th March 2004, 05:08 PM
Get you wallets out...

http://www.rsmracing.com/world/chevrolet/ecotecchev.htm

Anyone want to do a group buy on some of those $7900CAN Stage II Supercharger kits? :D

Cheers
Ben