PDA

View Full Version : Experiences with dealer servicing

01CDsedan
8th March 2004, 08:42 AM
I would like to hear about some good and bad experiences with dealer servicing for Opel based cars.

I had my 60,000km service done last Thursday by Rolfe Holden, Braddon ACT and as usual I am satisfied - job was done on time, to my satisfaction, and nothing came back broken. It was the same story at the 30k and 45k services.

This compares favourably with the experiences I had at the dealer I bought my car from, whom we will call "A large Holden dealer in Western Sydney". While the sales guys there are great, when I had to get the crank angle sensor replaced it came back with a floppy bonnet release cable. After the 15k service, it came back with a 'flat spot' on its exhaust tip that I still can't figure out. On the upside, they did replace the driver's door rubber seal when it was my fault it tore in the first place.

Nem
8th March 2004, 09:05 AM
Kerry Holden Darwin
Service is crap
Took my astra there during warranty to have the front seat cushion fixed. They ended up doing it up again on three separate occasions only to have it come undone within the next 24 hours.

North City Holden Perth
These guys cannot do enough for you. Bend over backwards. Nothing is a problem for them. Fixed all my warranty issues with replacement parts (seat covers + sticky ignition) and all without booking it in once the spares had arrived. Congrats to Carl and the team at NCH Perth!

Unfortunately Im back in Darwin and there's only one Holden dealer. Think I might find another mechanic now my cars coming out of warranty.

Cheers
Ben

Mitch
8th March 2004, 02:10 PM
Lancaster Holden Singleton, NSW

DO NOT GO THERE

Had to go without my car for a week because they couldn't figure that a nut had come off the fuse box bracket and it wouldn't start. Then yesterday I check the oil and everything, it's all fine until I get to the air filter and see that the air box has just been ripped out and the brackets are broken and have been glued back together unsuccesfully so now I have to go show them and get them to replace the whole air box.

Anonymous
8th March 2004, 02:23 PM
Patterson Cheney Melbourne are extremly Good, I can't say a Bad word about them. There Pricing is Good, Parts are Reasonably Priced.
Any Warranty Item fixed STRAIGHT AWAY, None this Bring it back on XXXday routine. Only Prob is, They can't wash ya car when they finish due to Melb. Water restrictions.

Anonymous
8th March 2004, 02:33 PM
ahhh yes i hav had a few problems with one of the holden dealers here on the gold coast. (Robina Holden)

one of the majors was a broken tensiner when they thought it was the timing chamber. took them one day to look at it and tell me they needed another day to spot where the noise/problem was coming from. i said no, took the car back to the mechanic where i work and within a hour it was fixed. :evil:

other problems included paying for broken air con 3 days out of warranty. ($600) :x
ive refused to go to this dealer again and am now going to take it to ultratune, my bro takes his scoobidoo there and reccommended them. :?:

mfl
9th March 2004, 09:36 AM
My Vectra is serviced by a Sydney GMH dealer (located in Arncliffe). They don't have a clue. The car still has its niggling problems after 54,000km and after numerous visits I have given up, trying to get them fixed.

regards

mfl

SmellyTofu
9th March 2004, 10:51 AM
mfl, I used to have some involvement with that company in Arncliffe (and know the people working there fairly well) and what I've noticed with all of its branches (as well as other marque it holds except for Ferrari) is that the service, parts, new cars and used car departments operate independently to each other as if they were their own company. They are all in it for their own pocket and worry about their own department rather than the whole dealership as a whole. Departments screwing other departments are a common occurance throught the whole car dealerships.

What someone should do when a new car is picked up is to go take the people to the service departments, let them know what services it provides and why they are better than dealer X in the next suburb rather than force customers to pay $140 (the amount I paid 2 yrs ago) for the extra 3 yrs warranty and force customers to "service" their cars every 10k and expect customers to come back.

Anyone with a half decent mind and knowledge about running a business should actually get out in the real world and re-evaluate the way that customers want out of pre-sales and post-sales service from all departments coz there is no loyalty to manufacturers for getting their car serviced after they've driven out the door. Of course if you want a new car, you are forced to go to them but if it was available from say an independent person and probably get a much better deal than go to a dealer.

anicorsa
9th March 2004, 11:36 AM
I better stop going to said Arncliffe dealership...

Anyone know of any good holden service centres? Around the same area, im willing to travel, but not too far.

dazza015
9th March 2004, 12:27 PM
For those in Brisbane

I purchased my car from Zupps Hillcreast brand new and as promised received a 6 year 175,000km warranty which would be fully honoured if I continued to have my car serviced through Zupps.

Have a few little warranty problems with the car but generally always leave satisfied.

For instance I took delivery of my car at about 4.30 in the afternoon, at about 7 that night I noticed a warning light come on, then the car lost a heap of power then coughed and spluttered the whole time, rang the salesman first thing in the morning and he told me to drop it over first chance I get and they would have a courtesy car waiting as it would take at least a day to fix. Got there to find no courtesy car available, so they gave me the sales department company car! Got the car back next afternoon as promised fixed & washed again. Left very happy.

Since then the few minor problems I have had have all been fixed with minimal fuss (except the cruise control problem took them four tries) even down to a slightly squeeky clutch pedal (which hasnt made a noise since!) and just about everytime I was given a courtesy car.

As far a servicing goes pricing is good and I get a courtesy car each time.

They even gave me a full tank of fuel after my 1500k service, because I dropped the dealer survey form back to them instead of posting it direct to Holden.

Will be sticking with these guys because from what I have heard some of the other local dealers are not up to their standard. My Uncle and my mate have both had problems with John Sivyer Holden at Moorooka in the past, like putting the wrong oil in my uncles rodeo and the engine damage it caused, I could tell you all what my uncle thinks of them but it would probably look something like this "Those F*%$ &*#% ^#*& (&(&* !! * *** stards!"

Anonymous
9th March 2004, 01:49 PM
John Sivyer Holden?? i got me car & mum's Astra there too.

but i don't intend to service my car there...... i have my service done @ Zupps Mt Gravatt. those idiot @ JSH even forgot to take those plastic springs stops off my car when it was delivered!!

Zupps has been quite good. i asked them NOT to wash my car & they remember not to wash it. while many dealers i used to go (diff brands tho) would forget/ignore small items like this.

Nem
9th March 2004, 03:35 PM
...the cruise control problem took them four tries

I had a problem where the CC didnt work in mine when I bought it. After giving it an engine management system upgrade it worked ever since.

Talking with the rep he said that when turning on the CC that it was on but not engaging. He seems to think that the EMS was flashed with an automatic version of the software instead of manual and the clutch switch was disengaging the CC. And since automatics dont have a clutch this would have been the reason as well as possibly why the engine revved on for a little bit when you engaged the clutch.

But I must say that the person who actually isolated the problem wasnt even from the dealership that I use but rather was one of their reps up for a visit from down south.

Ben

daastra
11th March 2004, 11:42 AM
I cannot send enough praise to Doncaster Holden!!!

I love the guys there. They are fantastic!!!

I put my baby in for it's 75,000km service on Tuesday and my car has not ran better.

The most exciting part of the day - my courtesy car :D the new Vectra CD. I had a ball!!! I drove around just about the whole of Melbourne. The weird part is, I struggle to park my Astra yet had no trouble in this thing. I want one, sorry Lil'L :(

journo
11th March 2004, 01:49 PM
How interesting that people are up John Sivvyer (or however its spelt).
I bought my Barina new at the end of October and they delivered it with an as yet unexplained additional 45 km's on the clock.
Later I discovered Aruba Blue was not metalic (which was included in my buy price) and at it's first service (1500km) they returned it with a fresh metal deep scratch on the drivers side panel behind the door.
On inspection there was more deep scratches in the recess where the door clicks into on the drivers side on the same panel.
The service guy pointed them (the old ones) out and suggested that as the metal there had started corroding they must have been there a while. Bottom line... my problem.
They had the entire panel repainted after I pointed out the car was 8 days old.
On the metalic thing... they had to refund that money.
I will never buy a car there again and never have servicing done there.
Appart from that... love my Opel.

sri22m
12th March 2004, 04:59 PM
McGraths at Liverpool, have been excellent with my SRi since bought it in 2001. They have serviced it for less than they quoted, as I change the oil.

I recently had the fuel pump stop due to the alarm cutting in and out, and they check the whole wiring and fixed the problem without any fuss.

There is two guys on the desk James and Frank who know what they are talking about and if they are not sure they ask Guy the foreman.

So if you live in Sydney, then go to McGraths.

NUTTTR
12th March 2004, 09:37 PM
I use hunter holden (6yr warranty)...
When i took it in for the first service, i complained about the front bumper strip peeling off, so they replaced it and put it back on, a slight rattle in the passenger seat, so they replaced that, squeeking accessory belt so they replaced that... So far good service, i told them the bumper strip was peeling again, they said they'll replace it again, the passenger seat is a "little" loose in the back, so they said they'll just get another one for me, and there was NOT a SINGLE mark anywhere on the car, albeit, they didn't clean the interior, but i didn't mind, as they didn't scratch the car, or dirty it outside or damage the interior... They also replaced one of my window tints that i wasn't happy with.... I'm going back there at this stage as they are excellent so far... Although they did say putting on a pod filter voids warranty, not that i use it alot... but they did say bring it down and if we approve it then we'll cover it!
Aaron

InsaneAsylum
13th March 2004, 09:07 AM
if $300+ for a basic oil change and filter wasn't enough.... a 50km "road test" pushed me over the edge!

Anonymous
13th March 2004, 11:34 AM
if $300+ for a basic oil change and filter wasn't enough.... a 50km "road test" pushed me over the edge!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Where was that??
My 30K Service wasn't even that Much and I had a Courtesy Car.
Phuck a Duck thats Steep :shock:

InsaneAsylum
13th March 2004, 12:32 PM
yeah i've had a few bad experiences from various holdens... one that shares the surname of a former great srilankan cricketer :)

i also had a few light blue paint specs left on my car after taking to another holden dealer.

basically i hate holden dealers and don't want to deal with them. more than one dealers srevice department also employ brainless monkey who can't even tell me exactly what part i'll need and how much it will cost (i was told i would need a new engine loom when i told them i wanted to replace the camshaft sensor) basically they've wasted my time since day 1. when I got my vectra it has idle air controller problems and they tried to sweep me under the rug until i complained formally to holden, then they were all nice and willing to help.

i've had a good experience though, south city holden had great service but it's a case of being burnt once, and you never go back.

i get my own mechanic to service my car now, at least i trust his work and i can see that his not using MY CAR as a courtesy car for other idiots :x

Colonel Sanders
14th March 2004, 06:52 AM
this is weird, how come some people have good experience at 1 dealer while another doesnt???

i bought my car at Hunter Holden and had my car serviced there...im never going back there again.

i booked my car in 4 service, dropped it off at 9am, was told will be done by 4:30pm. so i went 2 tafe.

came back at 5pm just 2 give em bit more time, went into the office 2 fix the bill and pick up my car, heres how it went:

me: just picking the black astra up.
rep: mate i dont think the boys have touched your car yet!
me: your kidding me???
rep: let me check....no, they havent started on yours yet!
me: :shock:

they ended up spending round 1- 1.5 hour on my car, costing me $250 for what was supposed to be a fixed price service of $175, considering the fact that i supplied my own oil and $40 for a wheel balancing, which they screwed up and my car started 2 rattle whenever i went over 100kms

so yeah bascially im never going back there...ever

NUTTTR
14th March 2004, 09:47 AM
touch wood i never get probs with them!!! Things i'd say to the dealer are:

Here's my OWN oil, i'd like the container returned with the remaining oil
please DO NOT wash the car...
Do a rotation but please DO NOT balence the wheels.......
LOL
there's only certain people who i'd trust to do that!
Aaron

01CDsedan
14th March 2004, 09:52 PM
McGraths at Liverpool, have been excellent with my SRi since bought it in 2001. They have serviced it for less than they quoted, as I change the oil.

McGraths are the dealer I mentioned earlier who on one occasion returned my car with a loose/floppy bonnet release and on another occasion returned it with a damaged exhaust.

On the upside, they did replace the door rubber for me when it was my fault that it wore out. Agree that the front desk guys are really good and know their stuff...it's the guys out the back that worry me.

BarneyG
15th March 2004, 09:49 AM
Watson Holden Melbourne, avoid at all cost, they have so many apprentices there its not funny! Just plain bad servicing.

South City Holden, great mechanics, shite customer service.