PDA

View Full Version : Panel Filter

Nemo316
27th April 2005, 10:42 PM
I know that with a pod filter on an Astra Turbo u get the blow off valve noise. Will this happen with a high flow panel filter?

break
28th April 2005, 10:11 AM
Err... you won't get 'the blow off valve noise' with a POD filter... you'll just get more induction noise.

Panel filter won't get as much induction noise.

oneightoo
28th April 2005, 10:15 AM
if you want better noise, have no air filter.. it sounds great when the bugs get sucked in, and it sounds even better when the guy at the service dept says you've just stuffed up your engine..

OPC
28th April 2005, 10:16 AM
Err... you won't get 'the blow off valve noise' with a POD filter... you'll just get more induction noise

Err... yes you will get BOV noise and spooling up noise with POD :D

Adrian
28th April 2005, 11:28 AM
Mohawk do you have a derestricted airbox with a pod or just the pod directly connected to the pipe?

You dont have BOV do you?

break
28th April 2005, 12:12 PM
Err... you won't get 'the blow off valve noise' with a POD filter... you'll just get more induction noise

Err... yes you will get BOV noise and spooling up noise with POD :DSpool noise yes.... but I don't see how less restriction on the intake would helpt he BOV to be louder.

InsaneAsylum
28th April 2005, 12:23 PM
you can probably hear the recirc pumping the compressed air back into the intake.

OPC
28th April 2005, 12:47 PM

Err... yes you will get BOV noise and spooling up noise with POD :DSpool noise yes.... but I don't see how less restriction on the intake would helpt he BOV to be louder.

no i dont have a BOV... what i was saying is you will get a similar noise to a BOV from the POD...

ive had the POD with zorst cat back and it used to make a whooosh sound

after i got the dump pipe on it got louder and makes a doodoodoodoochchch noise :lol:

Mr T
28th April 2005, 01:14 PM
So any way nemo...no you wont get the sound from a panel filter.

That sound that Jay gets ( Mohawk) is generated from the filter not being enclosed.

I have an after market panel filter and de restricted air box and makes very little difference in both sound and performance.

p.s. Why is there 7 posts here that argue uninformably and yet no one has even tried to answer the question....people just wanna argue for the sake of "one day I might be right." :roll:

InsaneAsylum
28th April 2005, 01:18 PM
no bov with produce compressor surge (AKA flutter) when your off the gas. contrary to popular belief, this DOESN'T damage your turbo.

Rhino
28th April 2005, 01:18 PM
Err... you won't get 'the blow off valve noise' with a POD filter... you'll just get more induction noise.
Actually, Mohawk is correct. Since I too have had a pod. You get both louder induction as a direct effect of the POD, and you also hear the wastegate vent when you throttle off and wastegate flutter.

You do not however get any extra sound from the factory BOV.

Sounds sweeeeet huh Jay? ;)

Mr T
28th April 2005, 01:28 PM

Um...i'm not jay...but yes is does. :shock:

Rhino
28th April 2005, 02:27 PM
I was agreeing with Jay as I sold my intake setup to Jay before he did his major modding.

I know who you are Andrew! :)

InsaneAsylum
28th April 2005, 03:29 PM
Actually, Mohawk is correct. Since I too have had a pod. You get both louder induction as a direct effect of the POD, and you also hear the wastegate vent when you throttle off and wastegate flutter.

You do not however get any extra sound from the factory BOV.

the wastegate doesn't vent when you take your foot off the gas. the wastegate opens when you reach the max boost level which it will allow.

what happens when you take your foot off the gas is the throttle body butterfly closes, pressure builds in your intake pipe and the only other place it can escape is back out the front of the compressor, so it does and that's what makes the flutter sound. this might slow down your compressor speed hence why people believe they need a blow off valve, but it does not make your compressor spin backwards and it doesn't damage your turbo.

break
28th April 2005, 03:58 PM

You do not however get any extra sound from the factory BOV.Almost exactly what I said.... there is no effect on the BOV noise. Any noise would be from the induction and the compressor side of the turbo.... so no... not the waste gate either.

InsaneAsylum knows what i'm talking about ^^^^

low astra
28th April 2005, 04:14 PM
but if you have a aftermarket wastegate or bov it would be a different story, you can here them through a pod

InsaneAsylum
28th April 2005, 05:02 PM
the only way a wastegate could ever make noise (if you insist) is if you have a screamer pipe that directly vents exhaust gas to atmosphere when the wastegate opens at full boost. it's LOUD.

as the wastegate regulates exhaust gas passing through the exhaust side of the turbo, how could it possibly even begin to make sound on the compressor side??

low astra
28th April 2005, 05:06 PM
ok and when you run a pod filter you are venting back into your intake but all the sound supressing stuf is removed when you put in the pod so you will hear every thing it still is venting into the inktake so it is legal but you will hear it ( go try it and find out for youself )

Rhino
28th April 2005, 05:48 PM
the wastegate doesn't vent when you take your foot off the gas. the wastegate opens when you reach the max boost level which it will allow.
Agreed, and I know this. I don't even know why I associated it to throttling off. :screwy:

I understand the theory, but if you drive my car - the theory and what is happening doesn't add up?! I don't get it. It does sound like flutter.

I need a nap.

OPC
28th April 2005, 06:02 PM
yes ryan you are correct it does sound like flutter (doodoodoodoodoochchch)

and hell yes it does sound sweeeeeeta :lol:

and yes andrew oops i mean glenn it sound undoubaley sweet :lol:

um and glenn i think we did answer his question to start with didnt we ? i think we did :? hmmm not sure now :? i need a siesta :cry:

mr_astra_retired
28th April 2005, 06:23 PM
I know that with a pod filter on an Astra Turbo u get the blow off valve noise. Will this happen with a high flow panel filter?

Hi mate

If you de restrict the air box with a K&N panel filter you will notice a small amount of vent/noise from the standard BOV over the standard airbox set up!

I have a pod filter on mine and the Whoooosh on gear change is very loud !

InsaneAsylum
28th April 2005, 09:05 PM
Agreed, and I know this. I don't even know why I associated it to throttling off. :screwy:

I understand the theory, but if you drive my car - the theory and what is happening doesn't add up?! I don't get it. It does sound like flutter.

I need a nap.

forgiven :D

try this with a small fan ie. computer fan... when it's blowing in your face, blow back into it. what sound does it make? i know it's on a different scale but that's simply what's happening.

InsaneAsylum
29th April 2005, 01:27 PM
but if you have a aftermarket wastegate or bov it would be a different story, you can here them through a pod

what kind of aftermarket wastegate or bov are we talking about here?

break
29th April 2005, 01:51 PM
Also to note... an aftermarket wastegate would require replacing the stock turbo (as it has an internal wastegate).

The reason BOV's are used is to relieve pressure in the intake tract so that you don't get the back pressure on your compressor wheel which puts extrain strain on the turbo and causes the rotating assembly of the turbo to slow down, and hence you'll have turbo lag once you get back onto the gas again.

Nemo316
29th April 2005, 06:25 PM
Ok thanks guys. I'll get myself a K&N filter when i pick up my car next week. I've got one on my corolla and the induction is great.

Mr T
30th April 2005, 04:13 PM
I was agreeing with Jay as I sold my intake setup to Jay before he did his major modding.

I know who you are Andrew! :)

hehe. It wasa for ze benefeet of dems dat no meet me. :D