PDA

View Full Version : EBAY - carbon fibre CAI kit

Anonymous
26th April 2005, 02:28 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50138&item=4545026370&rd=1

looks like a good buy, anyone have any idea how much this would actually improve the engines overall performace??

and if your wondering why i didnt put this in the FS section it is because i want to discuss the subject of weather or not a CAI is worth the money and what the difference is between the carbon fibre one and a normal CAI

Anonymous
26th April 2005, 02:31 PM
alex, please, if you purchase this, I will personally come over to your house and beat you around with a cat.

looks like some POS that you bolt to your engine, just to look good.

and we all drive with out bonnets up hey :lol:

performance wise, the gain (if any) would be too marginal to fork out the extra cash.

Anonymous
26th April 2005, 02:35 PM
thank you don i do not want it to look good :P just wanted to see if it was worth the money, :roll: i drive with my bonnet up, i thought that was normal :screwy:

Anonymous
26th April 2005, 02:39 PM
i drive with my bonnet up

this explains your fuel consumption problem along the m4 :lol:

heres a new cai that is currently in development, another 180hp(rate in austin powers)

http://www.mtn.org/quack/devices/images/toftness.jpg

Namus
26th April 2005, 02:52 PM
the piping looks like one of those snake cushion thingy's...

JP Dyno
26th April 2005, 07:06 PM
looks like garbage to me. expensive garbage

gaero
26th April 2005, 10:08 PM
anyone have any idea how much this would actually improve the engines overall performace??

i want to discuss the subject of weather or not a CAI is worth the money

becareful not to confuse cold air induction with aftermarket pod/panel filters, they are usually linked.

CAI provides a path of lower resistance/an efficient link from the airflow going around the car to the air filter (sometimes if your going fast enough there is a "ram" air effect, giving a slightly higher air pressure, but nothing compared to what a turbo does :shock: )

aftermarket filters again reduce the resistance to the airflowing into the engine.

on your n/a astra, open up the bonnet and look at the inlet setup. the air gets taken from directly behind the grill and into the filter box, forget about the little bits of plastic that come off the piping. astras have a very good induction setup, compared to say a camry or getz that has the inlet behind the headlight and facing the side of the car. CAI would be more benfitial on those cars than on an astra

so thats why a few (a lot??) of people on here have panel filters and thats it, the turbos are different story cause the more airflow the better, hence mr_A & mr_M's setup

and what is the difference between the carbon fibre one and a normal CAI

CF vs plastic?
CF adds a high strength/ more stiffness to the part, on your astra it would be for looks/bragging as the air pressures are not high enough to cause substantial deformation to the plastic, again turbo probably would be a different story

Hope that clears that up for you and saves you some $$$

Anonymous
26th April 2005, 10:37 PM
yayyyy exactly what i was looking for thanks man questions answered :D

ultim8DTM5
26th April 2005, 10:52 PM
alex, please, if you purchase this, I will personally come over to your house and beat you around with a cat.

looks like some POS that you bolt to your engine, just to look good.

and we all drive with out bonnets up hey :lol:

performance wise, the gain (if any) would be too marginal to fork out the extra cash.

Post nominated :P

rjastra
26th April 2005, 11:31 PM
so thats why a few (a lot??) of people on here have panel filters

Of course you understand that aftermarket filter panels offer effectively ZILCH extra flow over a manufacturers paper element. Sorry... but it's true.
There are sites that have done the tests....

Air intake, airbox design, airflow meter (if present) and inlet manifold design are the main areas where you can reduce restriction. Forget the airfilter element.

Bernard Siong
27th April 2005, 12:10 AM
$300 :shock:

Nem
27th April 2005, 08:45 AM
The Viper kit is actually one of the more popular kits used in europe. I do believe that they have a lot of heatsoak however. For price most people opt for the BMC CDA or HP Raid Maxflo.

freaktown
27th April 2005, 05:33 PM
alex, please, if you purchase this, I will personally come over to your house and beat you around with a cat..

Im going to buy one...

You bring that Kat :oops: :oops: 8)

Dave
27th April 2005, 11:01 PM
haha go the avatar man, but umm i want one just to look cool :screwy: