PDA

View Full Version : Astra TS 2004 CD

Dave
19th April 2005, 09:25 PM
Hey ppl im new here so umm HI 8)
I was wondering what mods i can do to a stock 1.8 TS astra to get some more go outa it, im looking at one day chucking a turbo on it aswell, but for now a boost to 120kw would be nice more if possible but then id haft to replace the clutch gearbox etc.

Namus
20th April 2005, 06:57 AM
wat ur asking will be a difficult task to say the least mate....

this has been discussed MANY a time....

better off getting a Astra Turbo engine dropped straight in (some one can post up how much it makes at the wheels unmodded approx.)

a powerchip will only get u to 100kW thereabouts (and even that's at the flywheel not the front wheels i think) and u gotta switch to PULP; not really affordable for just a 10kW change....

get the turbo engine in mate; too much hassle to get a turbo chucked on the Z18XE....EVERYTHING has to be custom made; not like skylines etc where everything is off-the-shelf job....

lowey22
20th April 2005, 08:46 AM
yeah, a common question.

about 10kw from a powerchip, 5kw with a good change in the air filter configuration, maybe 5-10kw with an exhaust and extractors (not sure havent doen the extractors yet). deffinately change in fuel. i would also change the spark plugs to iridiums (worked well for me).

but as namus said, if u r going to turbo get a turbo. otherwise try a supercharger, although i think most stuff is still custom for that too. someone on here is putting one on, but they are only halfway through, am waiting to c how it goes.

Namus
20th April 2005, 09:49 AM
but as namus said, if u r going to turbo get a turbo. otherwise try a supercharger, although i think most stuff is still custom for that too. someone on here is putting one on, but they are only halfway through, am waiting to c how it goes.

u mean get a turbo engine right lowey?

and when lowey says "getting one put on" he's referring to a s/c not turbo; just to clarify :wink:

lowey22
20th April 2005, 11:29 AM
yeah. either get a turbo engine (or just buy an astra turbo to start with).

yes, s/c, clarified, thanks. i got a lil excited and my grammar was a bit dodgy :oops:

oneightoo
20th April 2005, 11:47 AM
how much would a turbo engine cost? would they be hard to get? you wouldnt get one in a wrecker would you? theres just not that many around..

Namus
20th April 2005, 12:02 PM
how much would a turbo engine cost? would they be hard to get? you wouldnt get one in a wrecker would you? theres just not that many around..

very true mate; u will have great difficulty in finding one. Sorry; but I'm not gonna b/s u mate....

perhaps someone else can suggest another engine u can drop in...would a SR20DET fit in?

ask around perhaps as well....go to performance shops and wreckers and see if they can tell u wat will and won't fit in...

oneightoo
20th April 2005, 12:08 PM
if you find out what type of engine you can get dropped in your astra that you can strap a turbo onto let us know.. i wanted to turbo'ise my sri for some time until i found out (from the great people at OpelAus) it would have to be custom and a lot of :bang:

Namus
20th April 2005, 12:13 PM
it's ur car mate; sure u can find out....will ask around though; but don't expect anything yeah?

Dave
20th April 2005, 02:30 PM
Awesome thx guys, its only got 21k on the clock, but it needs bigger balls :) will let you know what i find out, roughfly how much will it cost to get a turbo engin droped in? haha a s/c would be sweet big arsed intake manifold sticken outa the bonnet 8)

oneightoo
20th April 2005, 02:39 PM
to be honest i hadnt really put much thought into getting a new engine, i did think about finding an astra turbo engine and after much searching and asking a round i decided it would be a fruitless mission..

Dave
20th April 2005, 05:09 PM
Just droped an email to these guys http://www.autopartsrecyclers.com/GDMWreckers/ see what turns up.
Any one from the brissy area know of any good places to ring around to and see exactly what i can drop under the hood, Im not being ummm narky but holden did do a piss poor job on the modability, oh right its a euro, hmm mayb theyve got some mod kits goin over there that i can get shiped over. ( dreaming again ) :( it keeps up but it should own for a small car.

Namus
20th April 2005, 05:17 PM
will drop in an email to my mod shop at FIST Performance & Audio at Wacol and see wat he can come up with....

Perhaps try ABC wreckers (along the Ipswich Motorway); maybe they can give u the dimensions at least so u have something to work with....or if u already have the dimensions; they can suggest something perhaps;

Also; try writing into ALL of the car mags u can think of; Fast fours, hot 4's, Speed (my personal fave) etc. Perhaps they can help out....

P.S. If u do have the specs pls PM me with them so i can get a quote

Dave
22nd April 2005, 03:07 AM
Turns out they canot get this part :cry:

Namus
22nd April 2005, 08:57 AM
?? which part?

Dave
22nd April 2005, 01:29 PM
turbo engine

InsaneAsylum
22nd April 2005, 01:52 PM
if you want a crazy conversion, get a fwd U12 or U13 front cut. they aren' t worth that much. can't tell you if the conversion can be done, but anythings possible.

one thing you'll realise is that anything and everything from overseas is not worth the money.

you can get a turbo kit from regal but for the same price, you could get a shop to custom fabricate a turbo kit, so it's a lose lose situation unless you do the reaserch yourself and come up with ghetto mods.

i rang up an aussie cam company a few years ago.."do you do cams for a vectra" the response was "no the engine is too advanced" I had to laugh... how much have cams changed in the last 20 years, probably would have cracked my engine open, scratched their head and said "where are the pushrods? this is unpossible"

after QSZ quoted $1600 for a pair of cams, I realised i'd rather lose a race to stock falcon or commodore than spend a whole heap of money for not much gain.

IMO best bang for buck is nitrous oxide, shame it's illegal.

even if they had a Z20LET in stock it would be fair to say that they would ask $10000 for it. rang up holden over a year ago and asked how much an astra turbo exhaust manifold was.... $1300 hahahahahaha for a piece of freaking cast iron that a blindfolded monkey could be trained to make.

dont bother with the car magazines either, they will tell you to slap on a set of chromies, and a big stereo is the best performance mod you could do otherwise sell the car and buy a 180sx or something japanese.

in all honesty if you want to stay NA and want a performance gain, you'll need cams and throttle bodies. without those i don't think you'll make much gain. i have cai and full exhaust and the cars still a slug

Anonymous
22nd April 2005, 01:54 PM
i thought the constant nos that isnt a wet shot is not illegal??

NUTTTR
22nd April 2005, 08:28 PM
Ring ASV Spares down in sydney.......
They will most likely be able to get one, or have one

Aaron

Dave
22nd April 2005, 09:27 PM
interesting thx guys.

01CDsedan
22nd April 2005, 11:07 PM
Sorry to rain on everyone's parade....but by far the easiest and best solution would simply be to sell the car and buy one that was quicker in the first place.

If you're thinking about doing the Astra Turbo engine swap, well, you could just buy a complete Astra Turbo - cheapest one in this week's Trading Post is just under $24k.

Namus
23rd April 2005, 12:28 PM
yeah but he said he wanted to keep the car; was just working within his boundaries

aussie_in_london
26th April 2005, 05:49 AM
here in the UK there is a performance vauxhall company doing a 3.2 V6 (210 bhp) either 5 speed or 6 from the new vectra into the astra H. Also talk of a supercharger.
Not cheap (£5500 for 5 speed or around £7000 6 speed) but that might be the way im gonna go or upgrading next year to the soon to be released astra vxr (240 bhp)

Dave
26th April 2005, 01:09 PM
Dam!!! thatd b sweet

Namus
26th April 2005, 02:54 PM
$13.5k for the upgrade...pricey

Dave
26th April 2005, 03:39 PM
yeah, I have found a guy who can put a turbo on the astra, but from the prices he quoted me and by the time i do the suspension breaks and clutch to acomadate the turbo, ill probably be better of saveing up 13k and tradeing up for a sriT, thats unless i can get parts the have fallen the back of a truck :wink: ahh and according to him you can run a 10psi boost without haveing to do a rebuild. thats just with a bigger fuel pump and a ecu reprogram, after all the new bits manifold pipes injecters etc. If any one wants the details ill find out a bit more info and post it. I think this guy is down sydney or melbourn way......

Anonymous
26th April 2005, 03:41 PM
plus shippping costs, you know how much its costs to ship an engine? $400 just to box it up hehehe they need specialized boxes and then there is the fact that you are going to need to reaplce everything else to deal with the new stresses and strains the car is going to undergo, also the weight will be out and i dont even want to get started on the labour :?

Namus
26th April 2005, 03:41 PM
maybe not a rebuild but u'd be pushing ur luck

Anonymous
26th April 2005, 03:43 PM
also once you do that it will be the most you can do without a rebuild and that is your limit hehehe i dunno its a touchy subject and one which needs much discussion

Dave
26th April 2005, 03:53 PM
I agree lol, yeh so i either save up 13k and up to a sriT or i start hunting dodgy parts from shady ppl. They certanly didnt make it to easy to get more go outa these things :bang: I like the car, but its to slow. I prefer to make a car go fast first rather then look pretty and crawl along...............

Namus
26th April 2005, 03:56 PM
nothing wrong with that :oops: :oops: :(

extralarge
1st May 2005, 12:43 AM
what were the costs to turbo an astra, and what parts Dave?

oneightoo
1st May 2005, 11:13 AM
you can get a turbo for the SRi 2.2, but you have to ship it from the US, you can get it from here http://www.turbo-kits.com/ion_turbo_kits.html but still you need to modify a lot of everything, $4kUS just for the turbo, not to mention shipping, extra parts for custom when you get it here, then the labor when you find a guy who will whack it in for you..

lowey22
1st May 2005, 11:52 AM
a turbo on the 2.2 would be sweet.

still a lot of effort and $. there must be engines (that are more easily modded) that fit in an astra. ive got a friend who put a gt four into a toyota seca. does 12s or 13s i think. just looks like a standard seca with a bonnet scoop, needless to say he pisses off a lot of wrx owners...

Dave
1st May 2005, 06:20 PM
This is just a roughf guide, this doesnt factor in labor. If you want to know more pm PHAT on http://tunedeuro.com <------------ he said he'd do the labor but probably not for free.

1.$1200 second hand turbo.
2.$1000 manifold.
3.$500 dump pipe and front pipe.
4.$500 second hand injectors.
5.$1200 front mount intercooler and aluminium pipe work.
6.$1700 ecu retuned on the dyno with power graph.
7.$500 rest of the exhaust 3" with two 2.5" mufflers.
8.$500 oil and water lines and other expenses.( engine oil and radiator fluid.
9.$300 custom aluminium intake.
That works out to be $7400.
Also that is just a guide.
if you want to get some one else to do the computer that is fine.
you will also need a bleed valve they are $100. you might just want to think more about if first as,we still have not factored in the cost of a clutch and bigger fuel pump.

Namus
1st May 2005, 06:24 PM
I'd say budget for $10k-$11k at least; give for errors on custom work..

Dave
2nd May 2005, 05:56 AM
Then the suspenion and breaks to acomondate the extra power, also your probably better going for a new turbo, as is you can only run a max of 10psi boost without rebuilding your motor to handle the extra power, but if done right you could be pushing 20psi boost 8) very fast astra

Anonymous
2nd May 2005, 08:37 AM
someone has done it to thier CD, was running 13's? dont know if it was low 13's or high 13's but i was a 1.8L running 13's :P read it in a HOT4's aaaaagggeees ago

oneightoo
2nd May 2005, 09:25 AM
yeah i saw that astra on car domain, it's a maroon cd model, the guy who did is from queensland, he had to custom make the whole front end, i cant remember how much he spent, but it was a bucket load, the sort of money that could buy you a an sri turbo with a trade in.. but if you love your car and have the cash to spend and dont mind spending it, then i say do it.. nothing is impossible with the right amount of $$$$

Namus
2nd May 2005, 10:52 AM
yeah if i had won powerball last week i might've done that

oneightoo
2nd May 2005, 10:54 AM
what wa spowerball at? 22 mill or something? heck if i hadda won, i think everyone on here woulda got a turbo for christmas..

Namus
2nd May 2005, 11:00 AM
yeah 2x $11m winners last week; both from QLD

one from surfers paradise and one from charleville

oneightoo
2nd May 2005, 11:01 AM
dam them..

Namus
2nd May 2005, 11:15 AM
yeah i reckon :evil:

Assada
2nd May 2005, 09:48 PM
there's a black smashed SRi turbo at the auctions, I guess you coudl use its engine http://www.pickles.com.au/servlet/Auction/VehicleDetail?item_id=202001008#picture_202003482

Dave
3rd May 2005, 12:57 AM
Ouch that was a sweet car...............hmm if i had a couple of k in reserve id go for it :(