PDA

View Full Version : i got my exhaust

InSaNe^Sna1L
17th April 2005, 07:15 PM
YAY for me.....

I have had a new exhaust on my car for a few days now and its totally awesome...

I had custom fab extractors put on and a 2 1/4 inch exhaust all the way to the dual 2 1/2 inch zetti tips. It has a great note and dropped a few hundred revs which is going to save some $$$ in this time of high petroleum prices.

So i didn't just get the ol cat back exhaust....i went all the way baby!!!

Namus
17th April 2005, 07:20 PM
how much all up? power gains? where is there the most gain? low/mid/top?

oneightoo
18th April 2005, 08:30 AM
yeah fill us in.. i want a new exhaust, was going to get just a cat back, but might have the extra $$ to do the whole thing in a month or so..

InSaNe^Sna1L
22nd April 2005, 03:01 PM
in the words of Grampa Simpson... "I... dont.... know"

I haven't really noticed anything at this stage...I need to get the car tuned as well yet, and I am still considering whether or not to get the resinator.

But I think I am going to end up getting a bit more top end. It feels faster I guess. I can guarentee its louder than before :)

Dave
22nd April 2005, 03:45 PM
Nice, how much did it cost all up?

InSaNe^Sna1L
25th April 2005, 06:45 PM
$580

no1joey
25th April 2005, 07:04 PM
i dont think id get an exhaust unless the power gains were very noticeable, muffler noise isnt enuf to float my boat, but hey then again i dont have any spare cash too so that always doesnt help

auzvectra
25th April 2005, 07:32 PM
i dont think id get an exhaust unless the power gains were very noticeable, muffler noise isnt enuf to float my boat, but hey then again i dont have any spare cash too so that always doesnt help

yeah i agree, would rather stick an intercooler on, or sumptin. dont fancy a constant headache ( no affence ).

InsaneAsylum
25th April 2005, 07:52 PM

you get what you pay for. if you could hear my exhaust, you'd know that an exhaust shop and an owner with half a brain can put together a system that doesn't give you a constant headache. my exhaust is almost silent while cruising, you only hear it when above 2500rpm. i guess having good quality resonators and mufflers which are large in size but with smallish inlet and outlet sizes helps. never been pulled over either and i've had this exhaust for over 4 years. fart cannons only make fart noises, but because they are displayed on almost every car in hot4's every sheep goes out and buys one at autobarn.

Apart from a power gain, the other reason I decided to replace my exhaust is that the baffles in the standard exhaust are prone to collapsing. I heard about this 4 years when on the vectra-sport board in the U.K.

auzvectra
25th April 2005, 08:04 PM
yes this is true, but i like the fact that i can go out to 6800rpm, with still an almost silent exhaust, to get this silence or near, u would pay a lot, and i only want to keep this car long enough to upgrade to the newer version.
would rather spen the money in other places, but as i've said before, it all depends on personal preference.

WindeX
25th April 2005, 08:28 PM
Details on ya system InsaneAsylum, I hate the current note of my veccy, a mate calls it "the wasps" there is no exhaust sound just egine weeeer.

InsaneAsylum
25th April 2005, 08:50 PM
I got the muffler man in prahran to do it. he's a bit expensive but I did ask for stainless and I know the system wont fall apart in 2 years. he knows his stuff and is especially good with picking the right exhaust diameter for the cars displacement... work is top quality and no little terd apprentices to thrash your car about while your not there.

standard manifold was left intact, secondaries replaced with 2 x 2 inch pipes which meet just before the oxy sensor into a 2.5" collector, flexi joint, high flow cat exits into 2.25". large resonator (approx 15x10x30cm), 2.25" pipe into stainless rear muffler with 2 x 2" square tips.

It's pretty much identical to the following, however I have a different rear muffler:
http://www.dtperformance.com.au/astra.htm
http://www.dtperformance.com.au/calibra.htm