PDA

View Full Version : Bonnet Scoop for 03 Astra SRi

oneightoo
17th April 2005, 06:43 PM
Hi all, I would like some advice/opinions.. I found a bonnet scoop and was wondering what you guys would reckon it would look like on an Astra SRi? I'm not too sure if i want to put it on, but have always wanted a bonnet scoop.. the one i found is one of those ones that u use double sided tape to stick it on with, but i wanna actually have one that will let the air into my powerstation.. anyone have any ideas/thoughts/suggestions as to what i shold do?

ultim8DTM5
17th April 2005, 06:46 PM
It would look fully sick.

oneightoo
17th April 2005, 06:47 PM
are you being sarcastic? cos tat sounded sarcastic..

:D :D :D

Miss_Astra
17th April 2005, 06:52 PM
yeah were u being sarcastic ???

Namus
17th April 2005, 07:03 PM
any pics of the scoop mate?

if u wanted to make it functional (i.e. have air flow into the engine to cool it etc) then u'd need to get the bonnet cut to allow the air to flow in (obviously :roll: ) so u're looking at custom fabrication there and the ppl who did that would probably bolt/screw on the scoop then, rather than just double-side taping it on....

For me, i wouldn't stick a non-functional scoop on, and frankly would be ancy about sticking on a scoop fullstop. Depends what it looks like; like rear wings, some look good; some don't.

oneightoo
17th April 2005, 07:06 PM
yeah were u being sarcastic ???

yeah i was being sarcastic :D :D

i will try and get a pic.. it's a pretty plane scoop, nothing over the top.. looks slick.. i would want to get it attached properly.. stick on would be like rice really..

Namus
17th April 2005, 07:09 PM
not only rice; but when it comes flying off at high speeds on the freeway and smashes ur front windscreen.... :| :| :bang:

Anonymous
17th April 2005, 07:39 PM
It would look fully sick.

it would look fully sik BRO

Charlatan
17th April 2005, 10:03 PM
Yeah, just the double sided tape from kmart will be fine.

Do it ... do it .... do it.

Clint
17th April 2005, 11:02 PM
double sided tape? 'maybe' if it is functional, but if its just there for show, with no hole into the bonet, all the air will go into the scoop with no where to go and eventually could lift the scoop. id definately scren it down for the safety

blackSRi
17th April 2005, 11:33 PM
I agree - I'd say go with a half dozen self-tapping screws to hold that baby on (with the double-sided tape),
http://www.allproducts.com/fastener/fu-yeh/Product-20049150828-s.jpg
or maybe some nice long-shank stainless steel bolts.
http://www.allproducts.com/twfastener/tonghwei/a01-s.jpg

Cos' if you ever take it off, nothing looks better than "speed holes" in your bonnet.

Hey if you had a Hyundai Excel, now that would look cool with a large stuck-on scoop (pref in a different colour to the car) - as there's nothing that looks more sexy than that - especially if teamed with a giant oversize rear spoiler, front lip and rear bulgy skirt with a huge stainless/titanium (exhaust), oh and hot 14" chrome rims....
http://www.ricecop.com/rcop_pics/000964-01.jpg
http://www.ricecop.com/rcop_pics/000813-02.jpg

Seriously though, you only need a scoop if you are having a fully functional one to service a TMIC (Top-mount Intercooler) eg. http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/wrx/my01/tmic.htm if you have a turbo, or a radiator etc. Just have a look at cool/cold air intake on the How To (easier to fit one thru the wheel arch or mod the existing intake (enlarge it etc)).

oneightoo
18th April 2005, 08:14 AM
yeah the scoop is mainly for the look..

oneightoo
18th April 2005, 08:15 AM
but loved that response by the way, do it, do it, do it.. i had a fight with my girlfriend once cos i wouldnt let her leave the room until she said it..

lee683
18th April 2005, 08:46 PM
is it one of them stick on scoops from supercheap?????

InsaneAsylum
19th April 2005, 09:06 AM
THORPEY SAYS THAT IT WOULD BE FULLY SICK

bonnet scoops are for wrx's, v8's with big blowers and hyundai excels that were modified back in the late 90's (always coincides with chrome wheels)

bonnet vents are the new bonnet scoops

~Kupu~
19th April 2005, 09:44 AM
bonnet scoops are for wrx's, v8's with big blowers and hyundai excels that were modified back in the late 90's (always coincides with chrome wheels)

hahahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anonymous
19th April 2005, 09:45 AM
the only thing you would be increasing is

a)superficial drag
b)wind noise
c)out of wallet expenditure

I would reconsider it

InsaneAsylum
19th April 2005, 10:22 AM
d) BLING factor, you'd be pimpin' hard and scoring all the chix and their mobile numbers. cops would also stop pulling you over because you'll be the baddest a$$ on da block!

zoidberg
19th April 2005, 01:16 PM
I agree with InsaneAsylum....bonnet vents are the new scoops. Plus i wouldn't go cutting up the bonnet, i hope the day never happens but if you were to have an accident your bonnet will be seriously weakend and wont be nearly as strong...not good for ones safety :wink:

Take a look at this pic of an astra with bonnet vents

RK
19th April 2005, 01:36 PM
I like the side vents on the front bumper.

oneightoo
19th April 2005, 01:39 PM
hmmm vents you reckon..

Anonymous
19th April 2005, 01:48 PM
loving those side vents....

on a turbo app, they would be really beneficial in letting hot air out the bonnet.

It's proven, in thoery and in paratice that heat dissipation works better then a direct cooling theory...

therefor, air that passes THROUGH your bay, carries hot air OUT, whilest cooling your gear.

now, how to apply this to a 1.8l astra

they do look mean though!

InsaneAsylum
19th April 2005, 01:49 PM
i'm a big fan of the cosworth vents. you'll be amazed how effective vents are if they are functional. sucking air out of the bonnet with vents can be just as good as forcing it in with a scoop

Anonymous
19th April 2005, 02:14 PM
well i dunno considering its a 2.2l astra not that it would make a difference :P but yea i like to side scoops ALOT better than the hood scoop :mrgreen:

Namus
19th April 2005, 05:59 PM
but, if u were to get vents on the top of the bonnet, wouldn't all the piping have to be stainless....?

ultim8DTM5
19th April 2005, 06:14 PM
Why?

Anonymous
19th April 2005, 08:09 PM
yea lol namus that sorta doesnt make sense :P

Anonymous
19th April 2005, 09:25 PM
but, if u were to get vents on the top of the bonnet, wouldn't all the piping have to be stainless....?

were you trying to be sarcastic here?

Namus
20th April 2005, 06:59 AM
if i find a pic of what i mean I'll post up...CBF right now

RK
20th April 2005, 11:30 AM
So water doesnt go in, and make the pipes rust?

GOZOFF
20th April 2005, 11:46 AM
I like the side vents on the front bumper.

You can get them from Carshine, for cheap cough..cough.. $265.00 http://www.spacespider.net/emo/common067.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v462/gozoff/carshinesidegills.jpg

Clint
20th April 2005, 11:47 AM
isnt it somethin to do with the rubber pipes deteriorating due to sunlight? the sunlight would probably make the pipes hard and brittle.... but also depends how big the vents are and where they are

Namus
20th April 2005, 12:04 PM
something like that

InsaneAsylum
20th April 2005, 12:14 PM
just get GTS flutes carved into your guards behind the wheel and drop in a carby 308. go oldskool :mrgreen:

oneightoo
20th April 2005, 12:16 PM
oldskool rox my sox