PDA

View Full Version : Will the next Barina &/or Astra be Korean?

Charlatan
13th April 2005, 12:49 PM
Who knows, but this is interesting

[web:7259682ec8]http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/biz/200504/kt2005041218104711900.htm[/web:7259682ec8]

"GM Daewoo officials said the exported cars will be sold with the Holden brand in Australia, and the model for shipment, though not decided yet, would likely be those with four-cylinder engines. The firm produces Lacetti and Kalos compacts with four-cylinder engines."

Would be a shame to see the Opels disappear ...

Mr T
13th April 2005, 01:11 PM
This was discussed as a romour in Motor Mag about 12 months ago.

They said then that they will be selling Holden Badged Daewoo's along side Holden Badged Opel's.

Very interesting none the less

Namus
13th April 2005, 01:37 PM
well if they don't sell Opel's anymore, our cars would then become 'classics' 8) :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

zoidberg
13th April 2005, 03:30 PM
I love holden, didn't like ford, however they have certainly reclaimed some lost ground with the BA line up

but what im getting at is what does HOLDEN have that they can call there own?

Commodore...well i guess you could call it holden even though the current platform (VT - VZ) looks alot like the Opel Omega :?: especially the VT

Astra = Opel
Barina = Opel
Tigra = Opel
Cruze = Isuzu
Rodeo = Isuzu

auzvectra
13th April 2005, 04:08 PM
the whole commodore series was "based" on the senator (vb,c,h,k,l) then omega a(vn,p,q,r,s) then omega b (vt,x,y,z).
the old kingswood was based on a american car aswell.
they did build a few of these cars, but the design was some1 elses, with the commodores they just changed the design slightly, like takin the Y26SE outta em :evil: !

Anonymous
13th April 2005, 04:20 PM
cruze is a suzuki ignas

zoidberg
13th April 2005, 04:20 PM
hmmm.....i never knew that it all went back that far....you learn something everyday i guess

Namus
13th April 2005, 04:22 PM
cruze is a suzuki ignas

no; cruze is a POS :lol: :lol: :lol:

dug74
13th April 2005, 04:27 PM
The cruze is a run out anyways....suzuki has stopped production of the IGNIS and so holden will soon have to look for a new small AWD or develop one.

Also daewoo has just released the Matiz in the US and yes it badged as a Chevy :bang:

Anonymous
13th April 2005, 07:06 PM
but ignis is fwd, and cruze is awd isn;t it?

I didn't mind the ignis sport

16vopl
13th April 2005, 07:14 PM
i believe it goes back as far as the gemini being the opel kadet :?:

holden really has nothing to call its own but its funny how they are so well supported as being the australian car and ford should 'go back where it came from'

according to a news report gm recorded profit losses of upto 80% due to its inability to cope with the market in america and holden here has been doing incredibly well on exports filling that gap. why would thye then import other cars?

rjastra
13th April 2005, 10:27 PM
Remember the torana?? That was a Vauxhall Viva.

The HQ holden was not based on a US car. It had styling cues from some pontiac models.

Commodore was an an Opel Rekord/Commodore hybrid. Rekord with the longer 6 cylinder Commodore nose on it.

The chassis of the Commdore range has been developed/evolved from that original

The styling ideas, not the engineering, was poached for the VN-VT.

The original barina was a suzuki.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only home grown Ford is the Fowlcan. And that was originally derived from a total US designed vehicle.

rjastra
18th April 2005, 09:00 AM
This maybe the car that replaces the Astra Classic - Lacetti 5 door.
You can find it at www.chevrolet.co.uk It is based on the Astra G chassis and 1.8L engine.

http://www.chevrolet.co.uk/images/global/models/lacetti/photo_gallery/image_4_rh_05.jpg
http://www.chevrolet.co.uk/images/global/models/lacetti/photo_gallery/image_6_rh_05.jpg

Mrs T
18th April 2005, 10:43 AM
I posted this friday although i think some information may have been lost

This thread relates to this

http://opelaus.com/phpBB2-3/search.php?search_id=1952621836&start=400

blackSRi
28th April 2005, 02:41 AM
Hate to open an old thread but - here is a Carsguide article on this (reprinted from the Herald Sun).
Daewoo to replace old Astra
Paul Gover
08apr05
KOREAN cars will rejoin the Holden family before the end of the year.

http://carsguide.news.com.au/news/story_page/0,8269,12791425%255E21822,00.html

rjastra
28th April 2005, 02:48 PM
Closer to the mark perhaps...

http://goauto.carsales.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/A986AEDD248977F3CA256FF0000C604A

01CDsedan
28th April 2005, 08:30 PM
I've read in a few places now that the old Daewoo Lacetti will become the Holden Viva and replace the Astra Classic - but I do wonder what this is going to do to AH Astra sales, and whether it's smart for Holden to sell both a cheaper and a premium small car.

Basically, how many people will choose to spend more and get the Astra?

oneightoo
28th April 2005, 08:39 PM
i would choose more for the EURO car over the cheap daewoo any day

blackSRi
28th April 2005, 08:53 PM
i would choose more for the EURO car over the cheap daewoo any day

Ahh but as I have said in other threads, what % of Astra or Barina buyers know or care if cars are Opels, and that they are made in Belgium, Spain etc.
What matters for most is $$$ and features/safety for the price so if an AH Astra CDX costs nearly $30K and the AH's are all more expensive than the G's, or the 3 door AH's/SRi or Turbo's are $30-40s or 50s or so, Holden will need the $10-20K to fill the low end as so many buyers want cars $25K or less. Simple market segment capture really (market a vehicle at every point across the range of prices).

rjastra
28th April 2005, 11:07 PM
Basically, how many people will choose to spend more and get the Astra?

Because what is on the rise is sales of "premium" products. Rising sales of the Golf, AH Astra etc seem to indicate that people will spend a bit extra for a premium product. Well, they just borrow more against their mortgage :lol:

You can see this also in the medium car sector with a large increase in sales of the Liberty/Accord Euro and Mazda 6. NOne of which you would call cheap cars.

Dave
28th April 2005, 11:39 PM
I thaugh the torana was atleast aussie, well made b4 holden sold its name, gues i was mistaken. :shock: stupid holden haha, should be called, Holden rebadge and sale of imports. Holden we will fool poor smucks and degenerats intot hinking these imports are our own to fuel the war against Ford. Holden why pay less for an australian made car when you can sell your left nut for an import. Holden we have no idea how to make cars so we sell imports :roll:

And im done :mrgreen: its not that i h8 holden, its just i think the fraudulent advertiseing should be delt with. Prob got some legal loop hole to get away with it.

oneightoo
29th April 2005, 07:44 AM
there'd be small print somewhere dude..

rjastra
29th April 2005, 08:55 AM
And im done its not that i h8 holden, its just i think the fraudulent advertiseing should be delt with. Prob got some legal loop hole to get away with it.

What are you on about??? Some people really and truly have no concept of how the world works... Harsh but true.

BTW... the "torana" will NEVER be built... get over it.

Anonymous
29th April 2005, 09:03 AM
the torana persay will never be built no, but they will bring out a commercial version of it, it will probably look nothing like the concept, but i think the monaro did way too well for holden not to do another remake it might not even be the torana they remake, who know we may see a new gemi? :P :screwy:

01CDsedan
29th April 2005, 10:41 AM
How is it fraudulent advertising? I've never seen Holden try to claim the Astra is designed and built in Australia for Aussie conditions, or the Vectra, or the Barina.

I think part of the issue is that the Holden brand name is Australia-only. If, for example, all GM cars were simply badged GM then there would be no issue, in the same way that nobody says a Ford Focus isn't really a Ford because it comes from Europe. But because it's a Holden here and an Opel there, people say "oh, it's not really a Holden". No, but it is really a GM car, and that's the fundamental point.

oneightoo
29th April 2005, 10:50 AM
a agree with you 01CDsedan but...

but isnt the astra suspension tuned to australian conditions, so when they say it's uniquely australian, in a sense it is, as the suspension is different, they didnt say the car was australian.. just a thought really..

Dave
29th April 2005, 11:13 AM
haha lol i was very tired when i posted that, i canot be held accountable for what i said :P, and yeah the torana is old old old old, the new one IF a new one was to be built would look like crap as the monaro does ( new one ) the old one rocks...............but u prob wont agree with that either :?

They murderd a classic................

oneightoo
29th April 2005, 11:27 AM
i agree with you, the monaro really had to have more of its own personality, it was just a 2 door v8 commodore with a diff interior.. it needed it's own identity, a new body shape would have been better, but also more costly to develop..

as for the torana, if they release it as is, i will never like torries again.. the torana was a mans car, the SLR5000 was a beautiful piece of machinery, and top re-release it in hot pink of all colours??!! un-believable..

p.s. it looks very similar to the vectra methinks

rjastra
29th April 2005, 11:54 AM
the torana persay will never be built no, but they will bring out a commercial version of it

Do you read the news?? GM has canned all RWD car platform development.

But because it's a Holden here and an Opel there, people say "oh, it's not really a Holden". No, but it is really a GM car, and that's the fundamental point.

I'll be nasty this once.... the only people that are having difficulties are those that call their AStra an "OPEL" Astra or their Barina an Opel Corsa... sorry.

Joe Average thinks of an Astra/Barina/Vectra as an imported Holden... end of story. Opel means nothing to them, Vauxhall means nothing to them.
The only nameplates that may stir recognition would be Chevrolet and Cadillac.

dug74
29th April 2005, 03:46 PM
How is it fraudulent advertising? I've never seen Holden try to claim the Astra is designed and built in Australia for Aussie conditions, or the Vectra, or the Barina.

I think part of the issue is that the Holden brand name is Australia-only. If, for example, all GM cars were simply badged GM then there would be no issue, in the same way that nobody says a Ford Focus isn't really a Ford because it comes from Europe. But because it's a Holden here and an Opel there, people say "oh, it's not really a Holden". No, but it is really a GM car, and that's the fundamental point.

well said and explained :D

Dave
29th April 2005, 04:23 PM
I reckon they shoulda reproduced the old monaro body and just added newer interior, they woulda sold like sh!t atracts flies....

Yeah i agree the new torana does look alot like a vectra... kinda sad. YOU CAN NEVER REPRODUCE A CALASSIC UNLESS ITS A REPLICA. A replica with upgraded components but with much of the original body shape would rock......... just think of what it could do with a standerd eco tek engin out of a comy................Then mayb they can bring back the limited edition torna ( only 500 made) that brock used to win bathurst, IT would of been the fastest production car of its time if the gov didnt bust it down to a 6 cycl instead of an 8. BTW brock still floged the v8's ina 6 cycl tory..............hows that for lording it over the comy's ppl seem to love and adore by the masses..........

Google is your friend

rjastra
30th April 2005, 08:35 PM
YOU CAN NEVER REPRODUCE A CALASSIC UNLESS ITS A REPLICA.

Classic = old car seen through rose coloured glasses :)

Don't for a minute think that the Torana nameplate has anywhere near the pulling power that the Monaro had. And the original monaro died because people stopped buying them. simply as that.

I find all this talk from someone that wasn't even around when Brock was racing the Torana A9X rather amusing. Simply because it did have a V8. :D

Dave
30th April 2005, 09:47 PM
lol shhhh ur maken me look like a dick cause i got confused............but i still like em :?

Anonymous
1st May 2005, 10:20 AM
the torana persay will never be built no, but they will bring out a commercial version of it

Do you read the news?? GM has canned all RWD car platform development.

lol holden are always canceling and then trying to bring back from the dead, the monaro went through some significant draw backs itself but it still happened :P

and also did i say it was going to be RWD? :lol:

rjastra
1st May 2005, 03:47 PM
lol holden are always canceling and then trying to bring back from the dead, the monaro went through some significant draw backs itself but it still happened

I said GM... not holden... ;)

The current Monaro had a pretty easy birth from showcar to production.

blackSRi
3rd May 2005, 01:07 AM
A couple of points, yes it's GM - a global brand, just Aussie parochialism means that Aussies think Holden (not GM). Anything produced in Oz has to work with the common body platform GM have brought in, Ecotech engine technologies and make money (exported) otherwise it will be dropped - even the Monaro had to be attractive for overseas sales otherwise just Aussie sales wouldn't justify its development costs (no matter how loyal the customer base is, the car sale numbers are not huge compared to world-wide sales).
Lucky for the Monaro it could be based on the Commodore platform (hence "easy birth").

The Astras and Corsas are modified to address Aussie conditions - UV protection, anti-boil coolant etc... just cause they aren't designed and built in Oz and aren't V8 doesn't mean they are suitable for Australia? (hmm I am leaving out the heat-affected power locks - although they haven't been a hassle for me touch wood).
The Holden service guys last week said the clutches are tough as on a Astra, few replacements - same with suspension, I mean our roads aren't great compared to roads I have been on in France/Spain/Southern Italy - and the Astra hacks it all in Oz.

As long as they are tough units that meet ADR that's all that matters otherwise people won't buy bad reputation lemons no matter how cheap (uh-oh, Daewoo).

Dave
3rd May 2005, 01:34 AM
lol nice call.....................yeah ill admit astra's are pretty toughf for a small 4 that is.

rjastra
3rd May 2005, 09:01 AM
yeah ill admit astra's are pretty toughf for a small 4 that is.

The Corolla is probably tougher and it is in no way modified for Australia conditions :)

Assada
3rd May 2005, 01:01 PM
Anyone forget that the Dawoo Cielo was an old Astra??

oneightoo
3rd May 2005, 01:10 PM
no i hadnt forgotten..

blackSRi
3rd May 2005, 01:38 PM
Neither have I.

Toyota Corollas have a reputation as being tough little cars, more so than Astras but I think that when people say that, they are talking about the pre-1998-99 models. If the Astras are lasting this long, then they must be hacking Oz ok, I am sure Corollas are modified Jap imports to meet with ADRs.