PDA

View Full Version : getting my ecu reset

no1joey
6th April 2005, 09:59 PM
dropping car off to Holden tomorrow(i have no choice) to get my ecu and bass idle reset as its a little low and rough. cost is $77 , i replaced the iac valve myself a few months ago but things havent improved, apparently if the iac valve is replaced the ecu has to be reset or else it wont do anything. ill you know how things go

thirteen
6th April 2005, 10:46 PM
a while back my idle valve went.. car would stall every now and again when at idle. holden found it to be an older style idle valvle and replaced it free.. have yours checked.

as for the ecu reset, i cant remember if they reset it or not.

good luck..

Vectracious
6th April 2005, 11:20 PM
Yeah, apparantly there was an "unofficial" tech bulletin that if a Vectra came in with a faulty IAC, there was a new and improved version that Holden had to fit no charge to all Vectra's regardless of warranty (Insane Asylum knows more about this - send him a PM). I went through two IAC's before they fit the updated version, and havent had a problem since - knock wood....

thirteen
6th April 2005, 11:24 PM
yeah i got the updated one, my car also had a faulty alternator regulator which is not covered by warranty. however, the whole alternator assembly is so they replaced the whole thing under warranty.

another unofficial faulty part.

the alternator was putting out over 16 volts!

InsaneAsylum
7th April 2005, 08:44 AM
thanks pete, I had really bad problems with stalling and erratic idling when I bought my vectra. I took it to holden twice with the same problem before I was told that there was a fault in the IAC valve spring. apparently it lost its tension over a short period of time. they replaced the valve with the "new and improved" version and I haven't had the problem since. I got it replaced in 2001 so it's a good 4 years now that it hasn't died.

no1joey
8th April 2005, 12:56 AM
yep went to pick up the car to find there was no charge, even tho its outta warranty, they replaced the iac motor $100, and reset the ecu and upgraded the software for the iac valve, it looks really different i will post pics tomorrow. it still idles at about 550-650 rpm, apparantly the guy said all astras barinas and vectras do because of something to do with the weather in australia since they are imported, as the sticker on the bonnet says 750 rpm, they lower it for some reason, and he said if it was any higher it would 'jump' wen it goes into gear being an auto. wat do urs idle at ??

InsaneAsylum
8th April 2005, 08:25 AM
mine idles at 750-800

Vectracious
8th April 2005, 09:59 AM
Mine is about 750 as well - its a manual though. Maybe the auto's are supposed to be lower because of the autos ability to go into neutral when stationary, so if you're creeping along in traffic, the car doesnt go nuts....

thirteen
8th April 2005, 12:18 PM
mines auto and i think it idles somewhere round 650.. cant remember really. haha.

no1joey
8th April 2005, 05:49 PM
insane asylum, urs auto or manual?, mines auto and idles at about 550-600 max. 650-700 when cold tho....

this is what was added, another plug going into the iac motor, and a different looking iac motor, couldnt get a pic of it cause of the intake pipe in the way

Andy!
11th April 2005, 12:49 PM
Not sure if its the same for Astras and other opels but for my cali to have its ecu reset all you have to do is leave the battery disconnected for 20 mins so if thats the case i wouldnt pay for it

InsaneAsylum
11th April 2005, 01:08 PM
mines a manual.

looks like they did the job. after mine was replaced with the new version, i could see that extra plug.

fingers crossed it has worked for you

no1joey
11th April 2005, 05:49 PM
yep its idles alot smoother and when u turn the air con off it doesnt nearly stall, just drops smoothly back down to 600 rpm. i tihnk manuals idle higher.

red_cali
13th April 2005, 08:40 PM
$77 hahah holden are truly stingy. All you haveto do is disconnect the battery for say 20 minutes, and re-connect it and start it up. As soon as you start it up rev it to 3000rpm for 15 seconds and your ECU is completely reset.

Tell me now why do holden charge so much to disconnect a battery ? lol

no1joey
13th April 2005, 09:17 PM
nah they changed the iac valve so they had to upgrade the software for the new iac valve and reset the timing which is controlled by the ecu, resetting the ecu by dissconnecting the negative terminal is a bit of a myth. might work on older cars, not newer ones.

Vectracious
14th April 2005, 03:04 PM
nah they changed the iac valve so they had to upgrade the software for the new iac valve and reset the timing which is controlled by the ecu, resetting the ecu by dissconnecting the negative terminal is a bit of a myth. might work on older cars, not newer ones.

Agree. And the ECU's are adaptive anyway, so they will adjust to the driving conditions constantly, regardless of how much you fang it after the ECU is reset

InsaneAsylum
14th April 2005, 03:23 PM
you need to add files=50, device=emm386.exe into your config.sys otherwise your ecu will not be able to adapt to the conditions :P

Clint
14th April 2005, 05:18 PM
$77 hahah holden are truly stingy. All you haveto do is disconnect the battery for say 20 minutes, and re-connect it and start it up. As soon as you start it up rev it to 3000rpm for 15 seconds and your ECU is completely reset.

Tell me now why do holden charge so much to disconnect a battery ? lol

im curious to know where u heard that and what reving it to 3000 does