PDA

View Full Version : Adelaide Motor Show

imay
31st March 2005, 04:06 PM
Went off to the Adelaide Motor Show last night . . . bit disappointing I thought.
Summary for you Holden fans:
Big display (as usual) from the General with all models represented.
Couldn't get anywhere near the Tigra to get a hands-on inspection. It's scheduled for release third quarter of 2005. Don't mind what I've seen so far . . . but, at $35,000 it would want to be better equipped than the Barina it is modelled on! Will only be available here in 1.8 form. Limited colors probably red, black, blue, silver and white . . . how unusual for Holden's to have drab colors!
Astra convertible was represented by a very plain Ultra blue/black leather model. Not a Linea Rossa in sight! Disappointing.
Barina represented by a lonely red 3 door base model left sitting up the back of the display with a Cruze as company.
New Astra was shown in CDXi, new Wagon and SRi Turbo forms. Don't understand why they want a wagon for this sector size sector, but . . . It just looks like a squared-off hatch. I don't find it particularly appealling -- the Hatch or the Wagon.
Now, as for the Turbo . . . Sorry folks, it falls into the above category for me. Doesn't ring my bells at all, and that is not just my opinion on it's looks alone. We still don't get the suspension, chassis, lighting, engine options that the Euro models get so I don't see the point. Might as well stick with the G! Admittedly it looks new. But so did the Vectra when it was first released. And so will the Barina/Corsa D. But they are all clones of each other and I don't particularly like the look. I believe the next model Commodore is going in the same design direction.

To sum up: Save ya $12 and go look around the dealers' showrooms. You'll get a lot more information. Get to sit in your choice for as long as you want. Probably get offered a test drive and get hasseled by a salesman . . . all for free. Might even be lucky and get offered a coffee!
I had a "salesperson" come up to me last night and ask "Would you like me to explain the features of the Honda Euro, sir?" "Yes please." he says, expecting a bit of a sales pitch. "It has cup holders in the front."
Not a good start, lady. Bye now! Who's the next manufacturer?

OPCVXR
31st March 2005, 05:04 PM
It's a shame about everything you said.

If your undecided about the car you are going to purchase the motor show is a great pleace to compare all at once without driving around to all the dealers.

What did you expect from the show if I can ask. What were you hoping to find?

As for the new H wagon. I love wagons and when it arrives I will consider trading in my H for it.

imay
1st April 2005, 07:55 AM
I didn't have any expectations, and I am not currently "looking" at up-grading, but the Motor Show was until the last couple of years full of razzle-dazzle with most marques that are available to Australian buyers on display.
No Mercedes Benz. No Jaguar. No BMW. One Ferrari. Many of the cars inaccessible (maybe because it was the first night, I don't know). And a total lack of knowledge of their products from the "salespeople" on the stands. The assistant at Holden didn't even know how to shut the boot on the Tigra after I queried how much space was there with the roof down. The Tigra (one of the highlights in advertising the show here) was up on a stand, fenced off, away from prying eyes. "You'll have to wait until September/October to get up close."
Golf GTI fenced off and locked-up tight, etc., etc.
As I said, better off picking a model and going to that dealer and having a play.
But . . . I'll be back next year!

OPCVXR
1st April 2005, 08:27 AM
Was different to Melbourne then a bit