PDA

View Full Version : Found rims for my car, but not sure what to do

ecstasy
29th March 2005, 07:27 PM
as the subject says i've found a good set. They are not chrome, cause after thinking for a very long time i believe that i will get sick of the bling very soon and since i use my car mainly to go to work they would never be clean and shinny. but here is my dilema guys... Found them in 19 :oops: and they only come in 19s. Is it 19 too big for my car? Legalities? (the wheel radious is still the same made sure of that so the speedo doesn't go wacko like jacko). The price is right almost no diference with 18's but lets say that each tyre is about 270 dollars if something goes wrong. I do think that a chrome wheel could look good but yeah i believe i would get sick and tired of it pretty soon (i do tend to get sick of things very soon :oops: ). Your thoughts please :)

Mitch
29th March 2005, 07:34 PM
What are the rims? What car do you have?

thirteen
29th March 2005, 08:20 PM
every second car has chrome dude, its almost cooler now to see normal silver alloy wheels.

personally im a sucker for shadow chrome and polished wheels. much classier look in my opinion.

19's are huge wheels on any car and arent really gonna help u out being so heavy. 18's are good for show and still will give u a good ride, and handling car.

InsaneAsylum
29th March 2005, 08:46 PM
agreed, chrome rims belong in my 1999 annual hot4's, along with "cool new droid II bodykit"

19's are huge and even if they do fit, the ride quality will make you wish you never got them. i have 17x7" on my car and 1. they scrub the plastic arch liner with 215mm wide rims and 2. if the ride quality was any worst i'd sell them, you feel the road a whole lot more. one the other hand if you're wearing padden underpants, then go ahead.

lowey22
29th March 2005, 10:12 PM
i agree 19s are huge. ive got 18s (shadow chrome 8) ) on my Astra (I believe u have an Astra also?) and the ride is a little rough at times but not too bad. I dont think 19s would b very comfortable.

but if they are the rims of your dreams then the question is whether u want to sacrifice comfort/handling for looks?

shaohaok
29th March 2005, 10:31 PM
agreed, chrome rims belong in my 1999 annual hot4's, along with "cool new droid II bodykit"

19's are huge and even if they do fit, the ride quality will make you wish you never got them. i have 17x7" on my car and 1. they scrub the plastic arch liner with 215mm wide rims and 2. if the ride quality was any worst i'd sell them, you feel the road a whole lot more. one the other hand if you're wearing padden underpants, then go ahead.

an astra with 17x7, scrubbing? isn't there something wrong?

InsaneAsylum
29th March 2005, 11:00 PM
I have a vectra, with 215mm rubber and there's a plastic part just inside the guard that has rubbed away a little in over a year. no rubber touches metal. hope that clarified.

do you think I have an offset problem?

YuSuF
29th March 2005, 11:03 PM
InsaneAsylum it looks like it..

nicecar
30th March 2005, 01:04 AM
So we are all dying to know ecstasy, what are these dream 19" rims?

OPCVXR
30th March 2005, 09:44 AM
Depends on what wheels they are and the color and type of your car as to weather chrome will suit or not. As for 19" :shock: Yeah baby!

Bernard Siong
30th March 2005, 10:01 AM
get it get it

Anonymous
30th March 2005, 12:08 PM
19's :?: :shock:

you wouldnt happen to be making a custom wide body kit as well? :lol:

Wattie
30th March 2005, 12:19 PM
I have a vectra, with 215mm rubber and there's a plastic part just inside the guard that has rubbed away a little in over a year. no rubber touches metal. hope that clarified.

i have 18/7s on my vec and have the same rubbing of the plastic, but only since my last wheel allignment, they reduced my camber so its a bit straighter, so now it touches, so im going to get bit of camber put back on it. outside of tyres is wearin more than inside due to my love of corners.

Wattie
30th March 2005, 12:19 PM

i have 18/7s on my vec and have the same rubbing of the plastic, but only since my last wheel allignment, they reduced my camber so its a bit straighter, so now it touches, so im going to get bit of camber put back on it. outside of tyres is wearin more than inside due to my love of corners.

Wattie
30th March 2005, 12:20 PM
19s on vec, yeah its possible, but not on an astra... unless you do some body mods.

YuSuF
30th March 2005, 02:39 PM
You haven't seen this one then..

http://www.tempetyres.com.au/content/gallery/bg_DSC00968.jpg

Alfonzo
30th March 2005, 02:47 PM
RE: QLD modifications legalities.

There's a modifications .pdf available on the QLD Transport website (good luck finding it though) that has specific information regarding aftermarket rims. Basically in QLD, you can go as big as you want, provided the width of the new rim does not exceed 1.3 times the width of the largest factory option rim for your car.

For example, say my car has 14x5.5 as the largest available factory option rim (small car, I did this for my Lancer). 5.5 * 1.3 = 7.15, meaning I can fit any rim I want up to a 7" width. Anything wider (7.5"+) will require an engineering certificate.

Dee
30th March 2005, 02:54 PM
Zeek

please click on this link for accurate information regarding wheel modifications

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/driver.nsf/files/images/$file/Modification_Jan05.pdf

Wattie
30th March 2005, 04:14 PM
but can it be lowered? it looks a little like a tractor...

ecstasy
30th March 2005, 07:18 PM
cheers for all the comments! Seems that heaps of you guys don't want me to go the 19's way cause of the ride. But keep in mind that the sell the exact same car with 18 from factory, so i belive that the difference between 18 and 19 would be minimum. As for the wheels that i want i will be uploading pics later tonite (waiting for a mate to send them to me). Wen today to the tyre shop and i still dunno what to do. tomorrow i will call my insurance company and i will decide in the weekend. As for rubbing there is no way to rub since i've heard that u can fit 20's on the new astra H :D the key is getting the right offset. Shaos faulf for putting ideas in my head on that Byron bay ride :lol:

ecstasy
30th March 2005, 07:22 PM
p.s. thanks donna for that link, i got that book from qld transport the other day :)

Namus
30th March 2005, 07:57 PM
so do u have a H or G astra? 17x7 WILL NOT RUB with 215 rubber; i have this exact wheel on my car (G model); and it is lowered; no rubbing issues.....whoever put the wheels on that car must be a complete tosser....go shadow chrome 8)

shaohaok
30th March 2005, 08:24 PM

YES :p

i had shadow chrome advanti stalkers, like namus, on my SRi before.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/gallery/albums/au/18832605_DSC01216.jpg

the rear tyres used to touch the the mounting bracket of the rear bumper. tyre size was 205/45r17. they touched just along the edge of the sidewall. had to get the hub of the wheel shaved. about 3-4mm. was perfect after that.

ecstasy
30th March 2005, 10:35 PM
pic

ultim8DTM5
31st March 2005, 10:14 AM
Phwoar big brake upgrade might be on the cards if you fit those :shock:

Dee
31st March 2005, 10:18 AM
ZEEK BUY THEM NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous
31st March 2005, 10:41 AM
fark me, those spokes look like toothpicks! will they hold the car up??? :lol:

dazza015
31st March 2005, 10:44 AM
They will look Huge :shock:

I like :D

Are you going to get it lowered as well ?

Dee
31st March 2005, 10:53 AM
he might not be able to with the size of the wheels and the rubber bands to be put on them.....

~Kupu~
31st March 2005, 10:55 AM
now that i have looked at them properly (after finding out i was confused :oops: ) i like them zeek and you should get them :D

Namus
31st March 2005, 02:11 PM
be careful and make sure everything fits first and stuff; not really a fan but it's ur car...

ecstasy
31st March 2005, 05:14 PM
thanks guys, i think i'll put a deposit on them on the weekend. I checked everything like 5 times (would be really bad luck if something goes wrong) but it shouldn't be a problem. Since made the tyre conversion and i still get the same rolling diameter so lowering souldn't be a problem either (would be like lowering as it is now). I've got someone looking after an eibach set of springs so i can lower the car. I think after that won't do much for a while, gotta cut my spending :P .

ecstasy
31st March 2005, 05:15 PM
now that i have looked at them properly (after finding out i was confused :oops: ) i like them zeek and you should get them :D

i should have wrote some sorta warning for blondes :wink:

nicecar
31st March 2005, 07:54 PM

YuSuF, those wheels look mean!!
What size are your tyres? Is the profile 30 or 35? How is the ride of the car - do you feel every bump??

Cheers

Matt

ecstasy
31st March 2005, 08:14 PM
yeah i've seen those ones and i believe that car is from someone of the forum. i asked her a couple of questions about having 19's

dazza015
1st April 2005, 06:58 AM
I saw the wheels you are looking at Zeek last night on a car, (19's as well) and they looked like 20's :shock:

They are going to look great :D

Namus
1st April 2005, 10:07 AM
meh i wouldn't take anything bigger than 17's without a brake uprgade; but that' just MO...show us wat it looks like mate when u get them on....when are they due?

ecstasy
1st April 2005, 07:00 PM
brake upgrade what for? i don't believe ur car or my car are that fast or the wheels will make a huge difference on th braking performance on daily driving. Found out a bit more about springs today. I can get an eibach set fitter for 950 bucks which i went like that :shock: when quoted. 550 just for the set of springs. Kings were 300. I think i'm gonna lower the car first and then fit the rims so i can do a better fitting check up to be 100% sure that they will look good and won't scrub the guards. Dazza they aren't many sets of those around, i love the looks of it because they look massive and they are so easy to clean :wink: (about a bucket of soapy water each rim :lol: ). So yeah it looks like around 3 and a half grand spend on goodies (better don't think twice :screwy: )

ultim8DTM5
1st April 2005, 07:15 PM
Brakes because they'll look good, those wheels haven't got thick spokes and brakes will look itsy bitsy in comparison :P

Of course, if you like seeing saucers through your wheels instead of dinner plates then don't worry about it.

ecstasy
1st April 2005, 07:32 PM
so i'm gonna upgrade brakes just for looks :screwy: yay :roll:

OzzySRi
1st April 2005, 07:35 PM
I think i'm gonna lower the car first and then fit the rims so i can do a better fitting check up to be 100% sure that they will look good and won't scrub the guards.

very wise thinking there. lower first then get the right wheels. my cuz got new 18's for his lancer which were fine with the std height but once we fitted dump springs it was all over red rover!!! couldnt get full lock n now we're just waiting for the front guards to get smashed to bits

all i could tell him was... told u so.

YuSuF
1st April 2005, 07:51 PM
17's on a Lancer could be a worry if you have to dumped too much.

Im not sure if its a problem concerning offset on those particular cars???

YuSuF
1st April 2005, 07:55 PM

YuSuF, those wheels look mean!!
What size are your tyres? Is the profile 30 or 35? How is the ride of the car - do you feel every bump??

Cheers

Matt

Oh they are not mine.

ultim8DTM5
1st April 2005, 07:57 PM
so i'm gonna upgrade brakes just for looks :screwy: yay :roll:

And your going to 19s for the contact patch? Hahah!

ecstasy
1st April 2005, 08:11 PM
going 19's cause they fill the guards and theres not much price difference with the 18 so why not go that way? as for rubber they are better than the stockys mate.

ecstasy
1st April 2005, 08:13 PM
besides any brake upgrade that will fill the 19's nicelly ur talking about spending 2 to 3gs on brakes mate

NUTTTR
2nd April 2005, 01:25 AM

an astra with 17x7, scrubbing? isn't there something wrong?

My stock turbo ones scrape the rear inner liners on serious bumps with just me or when going hard around corners with the car loaded.... (mind you i think the mudflaps scrape when i do this too, lol)