PDA

View Full Version : Wheel upgrade in WA

nicecar
22nd March 2005, 07:05 PM
Hi I know that this keeps getting mentioned but by looking at the regulations in WA:-

Alternative road wheels - WA Regulations (http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/myvehicle/safe/modifications/tyre.html)

The maximum wheel width can't exceed 7.0"

Therefore as most 17" wheels are 17 x 7.5, then anyone who upgrades to 17" or greater is breaking the road regulations and therfore no matter what insurance say, within the policy says the car must apply to the car regulations set by the government.

I really want to upgrade to 17" or 18", even 17s are not applying to the regulations. Sure that the police will not pull me over and say have to change them but if any accident where the car is examined, the insurance will void and could loose all money on car and have to pay for someone elses car to be repaired that could run into $tens of thousands.

The turbo convertible has 17 x 7.5 so even though my car is the same apart from the turbo engine, the placecard on mine says 16 x 6 stock so 17 x 7.5 are not allowed (according to the regulations)

Anyone elses comments appreciated

Matt

ecstasy
22nd March 2005, 08:13 PM
move to another state :lol: or register ur car on another state :wink:

stake
22nd March 2005, 09:39 PM
Hi Matt,

Go to holden and get a replacement tyre placard from a turbo model and stick it on your car.

R3N
23rd March 2005, 02:31 AM
Hi Matt,

Go to holden and get a replacement tyre placard from a turbo model and stick it on your car.

I think it's been discussed before. I doubt it'll be that easy to get one off them... Someone suggested taking a high-res picture? :)

Anonymous
23rd March 2005, 09:32 AM
if you have a crash take off the wheels 8)

astrix
23rd March 2005, 09:50 AM
Unless you have an offset that is substantially different from standard I don't think the 1/2 inch will make a lot of difference.
My car has 17 x 7 1/2 wheels (standard wheel 16 x 6 ) and was involved in an accident. The repair bill to my car was around $21,000. No one even commented about the size of the wheels

Nem
23rd March 2005, 10:00 AM
Hi Matt,

I think it's been discussed before. I doubt it'll be that easy to get one off them... Someone suggested taking a high-res picture? :)
If you ordered one I think about all you would need is a VIN number from a turbo.

Anonymous
23rd March 2005, 12:04 PM
a long time ago i used to buy hsv bits for my vn i just went to car yards and got the numbers 8)

Degen-Astra
28th March 2005, 08:59 PM
Hi Matt,

If you ordered one I think about all you would need is a VIN number from a turbo.

Or find a wrecked Turbo and pinch the fuel cap. :wink:

low astra
28th March 2005, 10:00 PM
i wouldnt worrie the wouldnt check every car would they??? if they checked every car for defects honestly how many cars would be left on the road???

R3N
29th March 2005, 04:04 AM
i wouldnt worrie the wouldnt check every car would they??? if they checked every car for defects honestly how many cars would be left on the road???

many... or at least mine would :oops:

auzvectra
29th March 2005, 09:43 AM
dont know the laws down there, but up here in qld, the laws are written as no tyre should be used that is 133% ( 1/3 wider ) than any standad option for the car ( which would include turbo ), so if it's the same down there doesnt mater what the tyre plaque says.

GOZOFF
29th March 2005, 10:30 AM
Change your wheel place card to something off a astra SRi or Turbo place card :wink: then you can go over 7" wide :D

Nem
29th March 2005, 10:35 AM
I just found the NT laws (http://www.ipe.nt.gov.au/whatwedo/mvr/registration/pdf/ib-v44-2003-02.pdf) regarding aftermarket rims. Doesnt look too bad though but I think I'll have to grab a Turbo placard. :roll:

Ben

nicecar
30th March 2005, 01:13 AM
Think the placard 'mod' is the best solution, just looked at it, it is thin sticker on the inside of the fuel cap cover, could easily scan/modify and then printout so wheel width/size same as turbo (17 x 7.5) 17/40/215 then we are all OK!!

nicecar
31st March 2005, 01:12 PM
Can anyone with Astra turbo take a good digital picture of their placard and upload it for the rest of us :?:

Rhino
31st March 2005, 06:19 PM
You would only need to do this when it goes over the pits for inspection.

Because, let's be honest. A traffic cop wouldn't know enough about rules and regulations to even check your placard. And even if it WAS legal, they'd do it out of spite to waste your time. :roll: