PDA

View Full Version : Which fuel do you use?

sunny
1st March 2004, 01:09 PM
Which fuel do you use for your car? And would you recommend it to others? Quality? Economy? Performamce?

GAZ914
1st March 2004, 01:12 PM
Mobil Fuel:
Quite frankly have tried BP, Caltex and Shell as well and cannot detect any difference.

Anonymous
1st March 2004, 03:40 PM
I only use BP Ultimate. The rest ya need injector cleaner every 5th tank, Escpecially after getting a Professional Fuel System Clean. Ya notice the Power loss.

tmov81
2nd March 2004, 07:14 AM
I use BP Ultimate, however with the new shop-a-docket thingy i am using Shell Optimax quite a bit...

To be honest I can't tell the difference between the two...

Vinnie320
2nd March 2004, 11:07 AM
My car runs like crap on Optimax - idles roughly, pings, poor throttle response.

When it runs on Synergy, Ultimate or Vortex, it runs like a dream. Most often use Synergy as there is a Mobil closest to my house.

Anonymous
2nd March 2004, 12:02 PM
I use BP Ultimate, however with the new shop-a-docket thingy i am using Shell Optimax quite a bit...

To be honest I can't tell the difference between the two...

i'm the same too but i prefer Ultimate better. i think it runs better & better economy. but the rebate is very tempting...

enj014
2nd March 2004, 12:26 PM
I use Caltex as i have company fuel card for the Barina.

but before I had the fuel card,
I too couldn't tell the difference between Utimate & Optimax,
I just bought which ever was cheaper :D

Anonymous
2nd March 2004, 04:54 PM
I generally use BP Ultimate or Caltex Vortex (out of convenience), but i have used the other fuels (Premium) as well. I don't really think there's much of a difference to be honest...

frankie9fingers
2nd March 2004, 05:25 PM
i don't reckon there's much diference power wise between optimax and ultimate, just price wise.

Anonymous
3rd March 2004, 10:52 PM
I've used Optimax for a while, but recently switched to Ultimate.
Cant really tell a difference, but seem to get just that little more on Ultimate.

NUTTTR
3rd March 2004, 10:56 PM
after a while of using optimax, i found a huge increase in driveability after a full tank refill.... people have tested optimax to lose it's octane over a period of 5 days or so... i now use BP ultimate from the same pump all the time... and haven't had any issues... Car runs smooth and nice... If i pay the extra for good petrol, i want to get it :)
Aaron

Dregger
4th March 2004, 05:24 PM
ohhh its a close call between ultimate and optimax.....funny i thought optimax woudl have won easily.....

mfl
9th March 2004, 09:43 AM
Hi all,

Used to use Caltex Vortex, till the Coles discounts came out, now I use Shell optimax. No power difference but economy seems a fraction better ( about 10 kms better per tank - car is a 2001 V6 Vectra)

- mfl

imay
9th March 2004, 11:12 AM
Usually try to alternate with ULP and PULP fill-ups (depending on whether I catch discounting or not). Up to 10c-12c a litre difference in Adelaide, and not all stations discount PULP when they drop the price of ULP. Not unusual for ULP to be (discounted) 89c a litre and PULP to be 100c+ a litre in the same servo! Definitely one to watch.
PULP seems to help the 1.8 run smoother, and noticeably better economy on a country run. But whether there's a difference between brands . . . I can't pick it!
Ian

BarneyG
11th March 2004, 07:37 AM
I would have to say Shell Optimax, mainly due to the 4c Coles price deal they have with Shell. :wink: