PDA

View Full Version : Hi new guy here, need some help

oneightoo
27th February 2005, 07:08 PM
Hi all, has anyone, or does anyone know of a custom turbo being fitted to an 03 astra sri? i'm looking for more performance. i was going to try a new air filter, but i heard they can do more harm than good.. any tips?

Anonymous
27th February 2005, 07:13 PM
welcome as for fitting a custom turbo lotsa $$$$$$ and plenty of this too :bang:

low astra
27th February 2005, 09:55 PM
welcome mate i know there are a few astra sxi turbos creeping around at the moment, but i know the guy i usualy use for tuning dosn't want to touch a na astra for any major mod like a turbo conversion but i think he is just scared that its to much work

Namus
28th February 2005, 04:08 PM
okay two things.....Mr corsa, why are u saying welcome fellow corsa owner when he drives an astra?

second, is ur car a proper astra turbo or just an astra SRI?

OPC
28th February 2005, 06:03 PM
he drives an astra 2.2 sri

ok 182 i would say mr corsa is right on this one, lotsa $$$$$ and :bang: :bang:

but i would love to see how an 2.2 would run with a custom turbo job done on it :D

welcome to opelaus aswell :D

Mr T
28th February 2005, 06:32 PM
Hey dude, welcome.

I'm with Jay and Tony (mohawk and mr_corsa) too mucha ofa dis :bang: :bang: and too mucha ofa dis $$$$$.

Namus
1st March 2005, 08:41 AM
well i think he woulda been aware of this and probably has some money to play with...wat's ur budget?

RK
1st March 2005, 08:49 AM
Someone else on the forum is thinking about Turbocharging their 2.2 SRi.

Namus
1st March 2005, 08:53 AM
??????? :?

Mr T
1st March 2005, 09:05 AM
Someone else on the forum is thinking about Turbocharging their 2.2 SRi.

And 1 thats doin a 1.8. maybe those anonomous people would be kind enough to send this chap a pm to explain your experience of dis :bang: :bang: and dis $$$$

good on you 182 for having a go, some of us older/wiser :roll: folks have done it before and now sport sore heads and empty wallets as a result.

Good luck, if you get it going make sure you let us all know so we can watch ya at the creek. :D

oneightoo
1st March 2005, 08:32 PM
hey guys, well yeah it's the SRi 2.2, personally i've never heard of a turbo on one, seen a few 18.8's with turbo's.. got about 12k to spend.. if a turbo consists of too much :bang: :bang: then does anyone know of other ways i can keep up with that bloody skyline down the road?? i'm pretty much a novice when it comes to tinkering with cars..

Namus
2nd March 2005, 06:15 AM
tough scenario there; u haven't made it easy either fwd vs rwd to start.....buy a astra turbo and do that up....then ur in with a chance

OPC
2nd March 2005, 05:58 PM
hey guys, well yeah it's the SRi 2.2, personally i've never heard of a turbo on one, seen a few 18.8's with turbo's.. got about 12k to spend.. if a turbo consists of too much :bang: :bang: then does anyone know of other ways i can keep up with that bloody skyline down the road?? i'm pretty much a novice when it comes to tinkering with cars..

$12,000 should cover it... i think :?

Namus
2nd March 2005, 06:05 PM
why don't u just go down to a local performance shop or if someone can reccommend one to u and say:

"hey, i've got around $10k (give a bit more room) and wat this, this and this....how much? is it possible?"

Mr T
3rd March 2005, 11:20 AM
Buy a wreaked SAAB 95 and do an engine swap, $12K should cover you.

180KW and bolts straight in...just have to change the induction cause the Astra's bonnet is lower.

Namus
3rd March 2005, 04:29 PM
man the new saab's don't look too bad

Anonymous
3rd March 2005, 05:12 PM
expect to pay roughly 30g for a reliable turbo work

Namus
3rd March 2005, 05:50 PM
wouldn't it all depend on wat u want/need done???

freaktown
4th March 2005, 08:38 AM
expect to pay roughly 30g for a reliable turbo work

Thats not realistic.

$12,000 is plenty if your willing to spend most of it!

Your biggest problem is going to be the gearbox!

Your looking at Roughly and i stress Roughly:

*Turbo t28 mabey
*Bigger fuel Pump
*Bigger Injectors
*Oil lines to the turbo
*Custom manifold
*Custom dump pipe
*Piggy back at least better still a microtech
*Heavier single plate clutch
*boost controller

Not essential but better for the long term

*Upgraded brakes and brake pads
*Upgraded suspension
*Better tyres.
*Forged Pistons
*Thicker head gasket
*Bigger 2.5-3 inch Exhaust from the dump pipe back and hi-flow cat
(A little tip is Standard GTR Cats flow just as good as most aftermarket hi flow ones, thats a proven theory) ;)

Its not a simple bolt on affair. Plan it out, work out exaclty what you need, how much it will cost, the best price it can be done for.

Then work out a rough labor cost, and double it :) because nothing ever runs smoothly.

And budget for destroying your gearbox at anything above about 6pound realistically.

I think $12,000 would be enough, but you have to ask yourself, after that $12,000 am i going to get what i wanted, and is it going to be cheaper in the long run to just sell what i have plus the $12,000 and buy what i really want!

Best of luck!

Anonymous
4th March 2005, 10:47 AM
30,000, realistic for an all round, reliably quick car

if he can overcome these problems he's set:
-engine internals with more than 6psi
-ecu with more than 5psi
-gearbox, with any power increase
-custom manifold

put thins into perspective

engine internal work is roughly 5g
ecu would be abother 5-6g
turbo would be about 2g
custom manifold, about 1.5g
gearbox work, about 5g
boost controller, 1g
injectors 1g
fuel pump 1g
misc 3g
labour 6g

Anonymous
4th March 2005, 10:58 AM
30,000, realistic for an all round, reliably quick car

if he can overcome these problems he's set:
-engine internals with more than 6psi
-ecu with more than 5psi
-gearbox, with any power increase
-custom manifold

put thins into perspective

engine internal work is roughly 5g
ecu would be abother 5-6g
turbo would be about 2g
custom manifold, about 1.5g
gearbox work, about 5g
boost controller, 1g
injectors 1g
fuel pump 1g
misc 3g
labour 6g

don u hit the nail on the head well done young man !

dont forget valves ,springs, cams , adjustable cam gears ,induction pipping , oil lines ,front mount intercooler, gauges cos u dont want nuthing to go wrong with the million dollor motor (defi gauges,most accurate on the market ) and the list goes on and on so go luck on your journey on putting a turbo on a n/a car 182

Anonymous
4th March 2005, 11:18 AM
these seem to be standardised prices, given i've followed upa few builds and threads on fast fours.

It's the labour work which = expense

oneightoo
4th March 2005, 12:48 PM
ok yeah that looks quite pricey and more than likely very :bang: :bang: i've spoken to a few guys in a few shops and they are of the same opinion, one guy didnt even want to try it, he was too worried he would something wrong and eff somehting up.. what about a supercharger? or i'm even leaning towards selling the old bird and finding a decent calibra.. thoughts?

Namus
4th March 2005, 02:37 PM
yeah supercharger cool 8)

Anonymous
4th March 2005, 02:44 PM
haha, superhcharger "basically" requires the same work.

yes, calibra sounds more viable, or astra turbo, if you dont want to spend money

Namus
4th March 2005, 02:52 PM
yeah think of it this way; the $30k u spend on the custom turbo work on ur N/A, can be spent on buying a used Astra T...just bite the bullet and do it that way...

oneightoo
4th March 2005, 08:37 PM
Namus, u make a good point.. i wanted the astra t when it came out.. the dealer said there was a 3 month wait.. should have just waited and caught the bus more often.. i'm not real keen on the new look astra, they front end looks good, but i dont really go much on the rear.. i think i'll see the old girl, she has been quite good to me.. the missus wont be hapy, but heck she dont pay the repayments.. so now i pose this question, whats a decent price to pay for a straight calibra.. i think it would be a helluva lot more fun to build up an older car than mod a new one..

oneightoo
4th March 2005, 08:38 PM
Namus, u make a good point.. i wanted the astra t when it came out.. the dealer said there was a 3 month wait.. should have just waited and caught the bus more often.. i'm not real keen on the new look astra, they front end looks good, but i dont really go much on the rear.. i think i'll see the old girl, she has been quite good to me.. the missus wont be hapy, but heck she dont pay the repayments.. so now i pose this question, whats a decent price to pay for a straight calibra.. i think it would be a helluva lot more fun to build up an older car than mod a new one..

Anonymous
5th March 2005, 06:25 AM
build up a corsa/c its lotsa fun :bang:

Namus
5th March 2005, 12:34 PM
have a look in the trading post

Namus
5th March 2005, 12:36 PM
Here's an idea: an advert i happened to come across yesterday...

1994 Opel Calibra Coupe Turbo:

5 speed, a/c, p/steer & win, c/c, c/locks, tint, alloys(look like 18's in the pic), spoiler, 4WD, Turbocharged

$15,990 (not including orc)

Tfer
15th May 2007, 07:40 PM
Matchu.... remember this thread? :D

oneightoo
16th May 2007, 10:49 AM
i do remember this one.........