PDA

View Full Version : SB Combo Van won’t start

asp72
22nd March 2020, 04:34 PM
Hi guys, I need help please! My 1996 SB Combo Van won’t start and after replacing fuel pump, ecu, various other sensors it still won’t fire. Extremely frustrating, seems to have fuel and good spark. It stopped on m son at a set of lights a few months back and hasn’t started since? Had 2 mobile mechanics look at it so far but no luck. Could I be so unlucky to have replaced a bad ecu with a bad ecu?? I’m on the Sunshine Coast so if anyone is nearby who is familiar with these things I’d appreciate some help. Got me totally stumped and not sure of next move?

dutchy
23rd March 2020, 08:16 AM
Just a stupid simple thought but the key you're using has it's transponder immobiliser thingy ?

asp72
24th March 2020, 02:01 PM
Just a stupid simple thought but the key you're using has it's transponder immobiliser thingy ?

Hey Dutchy no thought is stupid or simple when it comes to this bloody car lol but no the ‘96 SB Combo Vans don’t have any key transponders or immobilisers. It has the C14NZ engine with the SOHC, distributor and single point throttle body unit. I haven’t been able to find any trace of a crank angle sensor on this model thus ruling that part out(?) and now I’m investigating the faulty engine oil pressure switch route. After this I’m back to square one and totally stumped again!

Cheers Adrian

dutchy
25th March 2020, 01:13 AM
:lol: hope you find out what's wrong mate.

chris_r
25th March 2020, 07:42 PM
I'm sure your mechanic has likely checked this, but are the spark plugs connected to the right plugs and the corresponding points on the dizzy cap? Other thing, if you've recently done a timing belt, is maybe check that the timing marks are lined up correctly, as they can normally run okay when they're one or two teeth out. More than that and it'll either run like a pig or not at all.

Also, try a diagnostics test. Only tool you'll need is a paperclip or a short length of wire and this guide: https://www.corsa-b.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11231

Personally, I'd be binning the C14NZ in favour of a 1.8L Z18XE from an Astra, it's an easy swap, but some of the parts required aren't easy to find these days.