PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox shifting too early

hutcho
11th September 2018, 09:58 AM
hey there, i have recently bought a 2002 Holden/Opel Astra ts city 1.8 litre and the automatic transmission has a few problems. The first problem is when its cold and you first put it into drive it shutters and stalls straight away but if its warmed up it doesn't stall. another problem is when taking off it will go through first gear then into 2nd for about 1 second then shift straight into a high gear, causing the engine to shutter and shake a lot. Some forums say its the snow button on the side but I have disconnected the button entirely and it still goes straight to top gear. I would greatly appreciate if someone had any idea about whats going on or if anyone has had a similar problem to tell me about it and what you have done to fix this issue.

Thank you :).

ZomBie
14th September 2018, 04:47 PM
How many km's on the gearbox?

Many years ago my g/f's car (not an astra/opal) had the opposite problem, where it wouldn't change gear.
The fluid in it was so old that the hydraulics and wotnot just had gunk and airbubbles and whatever, and basically wasn't working. A flush, service, and refill, and it was all good again!

hutcho
15th September 2018, 04:29 PM
Only done 180,000 ks and i just replaced the transmissiom fluid thursday night but i think it may be a shifter solenoid