PDA

View Full Version : What engine oil do you use?

bakapoko
7th September 2017, 11:05 AM
G'day guys and girls, what brand oil would you recommend for an Opel Insignia 2013 diesel? I've done a little google research and found helix ultra professional ag 5w-30 is the one to use, but I can't seem to find in oz? Is there anything else that would be as good and at a reasonable price? Cheers [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris_r
21st September 2017, 09:05 PM
G'day guys and girls, what brand oil would you recommend for an Opel Insignia 2013 diesel? I've done a little google research and found helix ultra professional ag 5w-30 is the one to use, but I can't seem to find in oz? Is there anything else that would be as good and at a reasonable price? Cheers [emoji106]

For years, I've only used Penrite when I service my own vehicles. Never given me any dramas at all, reasonably priced and is pretty much available everywhere. Checking their website, your car would apparently use their 5W-40 Enviro+, which at Super Cheap can be had for around $65 for 5 litres.

I don't own or have yet owned an Insignia, let alone a diesel, but I also have had a few diesel vans for work and have found the Penrite oils to be fairly good for vehicles that cop daily abuse. Although, as my current van is serviced by the dealer, they run a 5W-30 Caltex Havoline diesel oil through it and I don't seem to burn any off over the course of the 15k km between services either.

JohnBu
21st September 2017, 09:50 PM
For modern diesels, you need a low ash oil.

I'll also look at oils which meet VW 504/507 spec. They are very good oils for diesels and readily available. I note oils that meet VW 504/507 spec also meet other manufacturer's spec.

As long as you're changing it every 15k or 12 months any low ash full synthetic 5w30 oil should do the job.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

bakapoko
26th September 2017, 11:30 AM
Cheers guys [emoji106] I ended up buying valvoline 5-30 euro for diesel partical filters Dexos 2. Can't remember the exact name, but had all the VW 504/507 specs. Running very smooth [emoji108]

bakapoko
26th September 2017, 11:35 AM
Now looking to change the timing belt. The guy I bought it off of said they did it, but he also said the oil was done too which clearly wasn't done [emoji849] so better be safe then sorry. Was looking at this https://www.ebay.com.au/i/132325341391 . Mines done about 84km, so I'm assuming that the belt should be done?