PDA

View Full Version : How often do you honestly wash your car?

NUTTTR
13th February 2005, 01:54 AM
Yup, i know, you should wash your car once a week, blah blah......
I'm lucky if mine gets washed once every 2 mths at the moment.... all 4 wheels look like black mags, not silver, the paint looks like a browny dull blue (dirt/dust, etc)...
How often do you REALLY wash your car, i'm not talking about "ooh, might just sponge the wheels" or "ooh, might just wash the door"...
Water restrictions, etc make it harder to do an otherwise easy job of washing your car :)
So vote! If you want to post an excuse do so! (i'm too lazy, i'll admit, but i've got 3 fish tanks, guinea pigs and a dog and room to keep clean too, so that's my excuse!)
I find that when i go to wash my car, it almost needs a re-polish (as i redo it every 3mths or so)

Aaron

Alfonzo
13th February 2005, 02:08 AM
Every Sunday. Religiously :)

Front wheels get a spray with Meguiars Hot Wheels cleaner, and then a once-over with the sponge to remove the determined spots. Whole thing with Meguiars Gold Class, then chamois dry, including the door jambs, boot, and even under the bonnet.

I've just got a hold of some awesome wet-look polish from Meguiars too, so I look forward to putting that to good use.... later today, I suppose, hehe

blackSRi
13th February 2005, 02:37 AM
I used to clean my car every week for the past 2+1/2 years, but now I only take it down to the carwash every 4 - 6 weeks (where I handwash it). It's more about lack of time than anything else. My mags are getting harder to clean, I have run out of the foaming wheel cleaner, that's good stuff. I use 3M detergent on the finish - it's the best I have found. The car is overdue for a good polish and vacuum inside with all the dust since last detail back in July!

NUTTTR
13th February 2005, 03:27 AM
Vacuum! I haven't vacuumed the car for geez, i don't know, about 8mths now!!! I've been meaning to do it....

blackSRi
13th February 2005, 06:19 AM
My dust is about 3/4 cat fur.... the carpet is full of sand, grass and stones... all stuff that doesn't vacuum up well....lol

wishbone
13th February 2005, 06:41 AM
i clean every 2 weeks...
but if its raining i try to save it for another day
i washed my car last night, as its not forecasted to rain today (sunday)
but since then i haven't washed it since one month ago as its been raining alot here in melbourne

Anonymous
13th February 2005, 07:22 AM
mine hasn't been washed since 26/11/04 (day before blue mountains cruise) http://www.tunedeuro.com/forum/images/smiles/ninja.gif
and even then, i payed somebody to do it....http://www.tunedeuro.com/forum/images/smiles/lol.gif

Anonymous
13th February 2005, 08:08 AM
Mine gets done at least once a week :P
Its done every Sunday or soon as it gets Dirty.
Wash, Chamois. The Open all the doors and Chamois all around Doors,Door Jambs, Engine Bay and Hatch Back
Polish minor Marks(Bug Stains,Scratches,Etc)
Silicon Tyres.
Wipe Over Dash Board
Breifly Vacuum Seats and Floor.
And when I'm Feeling Captain Anal, I cotton Bud around and Inside The Badges :screwy:

Namus
13th February 2005, 08:39 AM
used to do it once every two weeks, but now only do it once every three months becuase i wax as well; the whole operation takes around three hours....i use meguiars wash and wax colour boost....

EAK33Y
13th February 2005, 08:50 AM
1-2 a week i hate seeing my rims black and hate having rain spots on my car

Namus
13th February 2005, 08:54 AM
i clean my rims once every 3-4 weeks; takes a while for the crap to build up...

The Sentinel
13th February 2005, 09:06 AM
I wash my Astra every week and vacuum every two to three weeks depending on how dirty she is.

I couldn't be bothered with the whole waxing thing.
I only ever use Meguiars Gel Wash.

Namus
13th February 2005, 09:15 AM
yeah well u really only have two options; wash and don't wax and then be forced to wash every week or two weeks; or take one arvo every three months; do the thing rite; and not worry about it for the next three months and it'll look like showroom condition every day between then....personal choice in the end....

EGG80X
13th February 2005, 09:16 AM
use to be one a week wash, wax and vac but stupid water restriction now i was about one a month

The Sentinel
13th February 2005, 10:16 AM
I prefer to wash mine every week as I work out at Brisbane airport.
The avgas fumes ruined the paintwork on my last car.

ecstasy
13th February 2005, 11:31 AM
twice every week, it;s black and no matter how many layers of wax u put it will always look dirty :( but when it's clean it's sooo shinny :D

Miss Beep beep
13th February 2005, 01:20 PM
try living on a durt rd :x

Wattie
13th February 2005, 01:35 PM
every friday at work, yes i get paid while washing my car. it gets meguiars soft wash gel, with the bugs sprayed with bag and tar remover, (mostly kero) then chamois off, i gerni under the bonnet every 2 weeks or so, and try to gerni the wheels if they get too dusty mid-week.
spot polish when i notice marks, its getting a buff and polish this week. 1st time since i've owned it. (6 months)

mrbenno
13th February 2005, 01:41 PM
I prefer to wash mine every week as I work out at Brisbane airport.
The avgas fumes ruined the paintwork on my last car.

Try contacting a Holden dealer, in particular Motorama Holden @ Springwood and ask them about Crystal Elements, they have a paint protection package which gives you a lifetime warranty against the following. berry and fruit stains, tree sap damage, colour fading, water spotting, acid rain damage, oxidisation, fruit bat excrement, bird dropping damage, industrial fallout.
$790 for exterior, then they have an interior package as well, costs $490.

FlySri
13th February 2005, 05:25 PM
Once a week. 1 to 2 hours on it a week is fine for me !!! 3 every six months for polish. Tech wax is great !!!

Clint
13th February 2005, 06:08 PM
i tried to keep my car clean... but my drive way is 300 metres of dusty gravel it doesnt stay clean for long. i try to wash once a month, and at least once a week i wipe the dust off the car with a cloth. if i didnt live in such a dusty area i would keep it more cleaner but i guess that is one of the bad things about living in an area like this

Degen-Astra
13th February 2005, 07:02 PM
Every weekend it gets the full treatment.

If it has rained during the week though i try to at least do a hose off at a car wash joint as soon as possible.

blue hayz
13th February 2005, 07:06 PM
i cant stand it being the slightest bit dirty. i try to wash it twice a week but usually once. its premium blue so anything shows up. :evil:

OzzySRi
13th February 2005, 07:16 PM
wash once a week (megs soft wash)
door jams n interior every fortnight
wax every month (megs colour boost)
full detail with the lot n engine bay every 3months ( megs wash/paint cleaner/scratchX/poly sealant/colour boost wax)

Al

break
13th February 2005, 07:28 PM
I wash mine just about once every week.

Every now and again I go all-out and spend a day polishing it.... but I mainly just wash it when it needs it to keep the paint in good condition.

Namus
13th February 2005, 08:55 PM
yeah it does depend on the colour of ur car

ultim8DTM5
13th February 2005, 09:54 PM
Once a month.
Full detail once every 6 weeks (wash/paint clean/polish/wax/plastics detail/vacuum)

My car is black, its a PITA to keep clean. Everytime I detail I see the carpark dings that show thru to the white undercoat and I ask myself why I bothered.

I don't have much time as it is :(

low astra
13th February 2005, 10:07 PM
yes i too was in the wash the car at work club but i start day shift which means no more getting washed at work however ill be able to attend thursday night cruises :D

Miss_Astra
13th February 2005, 10:07 PM
I get mine washed when its dirty usually when it rains a few times.
otherwise maybe twice a month, i hate driving when its dirty
I hardly ever do it myself, cant be bothered

Dee
14th February 2005, 10:11 AM
at least once a week.... and my car is silver... the dirt is hard to see on my car... but i clean it good anyway

kirssn
14th February 2005, 10:16 AM
when mick washes it for me it gets washed.... i dont wash it...

thirteen
14th February 2005, 10:27 AM
wash mine once a week, and sometimes give it a wipe down during the week also.

although most of the time i wash my car and it rains the next day :evil:

i use meguairs colour boost wash or something, its awesome.

~Kupu~
14th February 2005, 10:31 AM
about once a week - eagle one wash and wax and chamois do the wheels vaccum interior and every second to third week she gets a gold class wax

Mrbenno - I have that interior and exterior protections packs - i wouldnt waste my money on the exterior one :?

watchdog48
14th February 2005, 02:45 PM
I wash at least 2 - 3 times a week. Thats wot u get wen u buy a dark coloured car...i cant stand driving a dirty car!!! :bang:
I use a sponge and bucket.. with a chamois and glass cloth to dry..all water restriction friendly!!
How about all of you?? what washing methods do you use?

The Sentinel
14th February 2005, 03:51 PM
Edit: Damned dupe post...

The Sentinel
14th February 2005, 03:52 PM
Three times a week.. holy crap... it's a wonder you don't wash off the clear-coat!!!

EAK33Y
14th February 2005, 03:55 PM
at least once a week.... and my car is silver... the dirt is hard to see on my car... but i clean it good anyway

Yes Silver cars are awesome they look clean but once you get upclose you can see the brown rain spots

RK
14th February 2005, 04:07 PM
Wash once a month..
and spray and wipe meguires car detailer spray once a week.
Polish once every couple of months.

woody
15th February 2005, 10:55 AM
I'd like to say i wash it way more often than i do but i can't bring myself to lie... i used to have it washed once every week -2 weeks but i don't think it's seen a full wash for a good month or two now...

I've got Protech protection on my car - came as part of the pack with tinting and everything so it was basically free. if i had to pay for it.... i wouldn't. haven't met anyone yet (panel beaters included) who would recommend it (apart from the extras chick at the hodlen dealership)

Now i'm feeling guilty about not washing my car - might have to go home and do it now... :(

Caly2c
15th February 2005, 10:43 PM
At least once a week for my baby. Then i put some meguires quick wax on, polish the glass shine the rims and then make sure the interior is dust/dirt free and smelling fresh.

Then every month its polished

Degen-Astra
15th February 2005, 10:48 PM
How about all of you?? what washing methods do you use?

High pressure hose...mixed with...

http://www.opelaus.com/phpBB2-3/viewtopic.php?t=4109

Caly2c
15th February 2005, 10:50 PM
i use meguires next generation car wash, works extremely well

Degen-Astra
15th February 2005, 10:56 PM
I got some of that...but I actually find that Gold Class in the Meguiars range works best for me. Need to buy some more as I am about to run out, but am looking at other products at the moment.

Caly2c
15th February 2005, 10:59 PM
Got a bit of gold class left too, ive been mixing the 2 occationally.

I find that the nxt generation ones gives a better glass effect and feels like the car has just been polished

Corsa
15th February 2005, 11:23 PM
Astra gets washed rarely between dealer washes. Only really clean off anything major like bird crap etc and give it the occasional quick rinse. Other two cars get washed about as often but usually only before a car show or similar and they don't get out all that much.
Corsa

Namus
16th February 2005, 07:19 AM
high pressure hose is one way to slowly but surely screw ur paint

OPCVXR
16th February 2005, 09:43 AM
Since our car is new I have been washing it almost every 2 days! The novelty will ware off to just once or twice a week with a polish every 2 to 3 months. I have always been like that except with my ute. :screwy:

I use a chamios to wash the car as it holds less grit and use Auto Glym products especially the tyre cleaner. I love that tyre cleaner! :roll:

I do get lazy on the inside and only clean every 2 to 3 months whenever I polish

OPCVXR
16th February 2005, 09:45 AM
oh yes, I do use an Alto pressure washer beacuse of water restrictions. I used to go to car lovers and the like with my own bucket and sponge and have always been unlucky and told off by the staff!!! :oops:

~Kupu~
16th February 2005, 11:08 AM
oh yes, I do use an Alto pressure washer beacuse of water restrictions. I used to go to car lovers and the like with my own bucket and sponge and have always been unlucky and told off by the staff!!! :oops:

:lol: I always go there with a whole big box full of my products and only pay for thier water - but I only normally go at night or on a sunday when no staff are there

There is a car wash place near The Sentinals house which is right next door to a service station we have all been there at night and filled up our buckets with the water from the servo :lol:

Dee
16th February 2005, 11:23 AM
oh yes, I do use an Alto pressure washer beacuse of water restrictions. I used to go to car lovers and the like with my own bucket and sponge and have always been unlucky and told off by the staff!!! :oops:There is a car wash place near The Sentinals house which is right next door to a service station we have all been there at night and filled up our buckets with the water from the servo :lol:

there were 5 of us that night weren't there :lol:

Dave R32
16th February 2005, 12:15 PM
A couple of times a week for me, its not good for the company image if my car is dirty. (I own a car care products company)

Cheers
Dave.

NXA-16H
16th February 2005, 02:46 PM
Well, in my neck of the woods, It's not so easy to wash the car as religiously as I'd like to, since a Water-Restriction-Patrol-Officer's snooping up and down my street ever more frequently lately. ( I think some old lady down the Road's ratted on me :?

Anyway, certainly twice a month. Maybe more often if I can manage it.

And I frankly don't give a flying toss what people think.

I might even grab some of that Macguire's (sic?) Gold Class Wax and try it out one day.

Anyone used this stuff? Any good?

Degen-Astra
16th February 2005, 02:56 PM
Wax - I use 2 waxs depending on the time of year. I use Meguairs Gold Class for summer (as i find it less durable to rain resistance) and Meguairs Hi-Tech Carnauba Yellow Wax for both all seasons. Both give great reflective and clean qualities but I tend to find the Gold Class is some what minorly more reflective, but it is a dual action (Polish and Wax in one product) which saves time if you dont want to do a seperate polish but I would reccomend doing a seperate polish. I am also looking at moving onto a more show car type wax like Klasse.

Thats from a previous post of mine.

Gold Class wax takes a bit of buffing to remove, that is probably my only gripe with the product.

NXA-16H
16th February 2005, 03:31 PM
Wax - I use 2 waxs depending on the time of year. I use Meguairs Gold Class for summer (as i find it less durable to rain resistance) and Meguairs Hi-Tech Carnauba Yellow Wax for both all seasons. Both give great reflective and clean qualities but I tend to find the Gold Class is some what minorly more reflective, but it is a dual action (Polish and Wax in one product) which saves time if you dont want to do a seperate polish but I would reccomend doing a seperate polish. I am also looking at moving onto a more show car type wax like Klasse.

Thats from a previous post of mine.

Gold Class wax takes a bit of buffing to remove, that is probably my only gripe with the product.

Thanks for that...

Going by your experience, I might just stick with the Polyglaze for the moment, until I get myself an orbital buffer perhaps.

David
NXA-16H

Caly2c
16th February 2005, 09:01 PM
Auto glym super resin polish is just as good, its pretty easy to apply and remove. Absolutly stunning finish and to keep it that way i use Meguires quick wax and quick detailer.