PDA

View Full Version : I hit a massive pothole that is very difficult to see under normal conditions

super kermit
9th July 2017, 05:49 AM
So I hit a drain hole that has dinged my sump.

Is there any recourse through the Council?

Should I take pictures of the pothole and write to ??????? asking them to pay?

(the original post had pothole, but this is a man made drain with a huge (30cm) drop on all sides into it.

I will take pictures and post on here

guy 27
9th July 2017, 12:57 PM
worth a shot.

I've tried several times over the years with no response of being told sorry and no financial rewards.

dutchy
10th July 2017, 02:51 PM
Yeah as Guy said, worth a shot. If it were our council, they'd say I drove without care, could have avoided a pothole, pothole is beyond their control and due to weather conditions blah blah blah. You can better trip over tree roots (or slip on a grape in the supermarket) than to genuinely hit a pothole and have damage.

ZomBie
2nd August 2017, 05:07 PM
Depends what it is you "hit"?

If it's a pothole, then generally no you won't get anything back from council. However now that they've been notified of the hole, they are obliged to make-it-safe until repaired.

If it was an open drain/channel on the side of the road, then probably nope again. Will depend on whether there is a grate missing, or kerb, or guideposts, or something to warn you. But most likely it's just a drain, and you probably shouldn't be driving into it!