PDA

View Full Version : OEM Cabling.

thirteen
12th February 2005, 02:00 PM
Specificallty for the vectra but i'd assume it would be the same on most cars, are power cables and all other cables run on two different sides of the car?

which side is which?

the reason i ask is because im still having issues with my sound system install, the shop is really annoying me now. I do not think the amp is faulty as it comes thru both the subs and the speakers..

the indicators come through the subs and speakers, when any power applicance in the car is flicked on you hear it through the speakers and sub.

im at the point of they fix it or they give me a refund.

BassyAstra
12th February 2005, 08:31 PM
Put dis in the ICE section and ull get more responses 8)

Usually teh power cable is run on a seperate side to the audio cable to your amp to avoid crosstalk.
In my case the power cable is run securely under the car because of its size.
Although before i had this in my astra the power was run on the passenger side because the battery in the engine is on that side and the firewall hole to put the cable through was also on that side.
If your gettin indicator noise comin through, that sounds pretty bad.
Which audio installer are you dealing with, sounds like a Strathfield Car Radios professional install (sarcasm).
Hope that helps!

Clint
12th February 2005, 08:51 PM
do you have a cheap amp? i have a vectra too, and a cheap amp. if i turn the gain up too high i get that noise too, but that is only when its higher than nescessary. when i have gain at a normal level there is no noise. i also got noise from the engine. i have all the cables to the amp, (power, 4 rca leads, 2 speaker wires) all running together down the left side of the car ogether with all the other wires already there.

i probably would have put power cable down the opposite side of the car but its too much hassle in a vectra to do that.

i would look and the gain, look where it is now incase they have set is at a optimum level for that amp and speakers and whatever else, and then try to turn the gain down. the noise should go away. then just slowly turn it up until just before the noise starts to happen again.

see how that goes, hopefully they just set the gain too high, if so its a simple fix

@sh
14th February 2005, 05:08 PM
I try and use really high quality RCA leads with high shielding…

I have installed my amp under my driver’s seat powering my sub in the boot, so speaker leads and power never run together...

Also with power I keep the runs short running positive back to the battery and have the ground lead terminated to the bolt that holds my car seat down.