PDA

View Full Version : Insurance stuff

Namus
11th February 2005, 08:00 PM
Just wondering how much and wat type of insurance u guys have?

Called up AAMI today so i could add all of the extras onto my insurance policy (only about 6-12 months late on most of the parts). Neway, after having done that asked some questions about if i were to take out comprehensive insurance under my name right there and then. Suprised to say the least.

Because dad has been with AAMI forever and has a rating one for life, i automatically get a level up (starts at level 6 i believe with AAMI). As i've had my P's for 1.5 years i'd get another level up (u get a level up each full year u are licenced from when u first get ur P's) So now up to level 4.

Now if we were to fast forward to May (when my P's came into effect bak in '03) i'd have another level up (for two years licenced) so now i'm up to a rating 3.

On top of that, i'd get a 5% discount for dad being a member, and a further 10% discount if i take one of their FREE driving instruction courses!!!

If i were to insure with them right now, under my name, with full comprehensive (with the rating 3 and all the above discounts) for the astra, with all the mods etc covered, it'd be around the $1k mark. Now that isn't too bad....not too great either i admit....but hey insurance isn't fantastic newhere....

Now taking their discount and level up system into account, it works out that i'd be a rating 1 by the time i'm about 21.5-22, and with AAMI u have a rating 1 for life if u keep that for three years with no claim....

so i'm just curious how other systems work with other companies and wat experiences u'se have had......make sure u take into account that this policy quote was for FULL COMPREHENSIVE insurance....not just third-party...

Namus
11th February 2005, 08:02 PM
i guess my point is that, i'd have a rating one for life by the time i'm 25, which surprises me to say the least...

Alfonzo
12th February 2005, 02:07 PM
I'm 20, and on rating 4. No faults, no convictions, a shining record that is only outshone by my bonnet (....new polish, hehehe)

I'm with AAMI also, and have been since I got my first car, a 1991 Camry, and started with them on Third Party Property. The Lancer was also with AAMI, and now the Vectra is.

My only bad experience wasn't with AAMI, but another insurance mob, which we'll just call 'B-Group' (In the instance of vendor verdicts, I forget what the rules are here). I called B-group up to organise a policy, who came out cheaper than AAMI, and I said I wanted to sign up for when my AAMI policy expires (which happened to occour about a week and a half after I took delivery of the Vectra). They said sure, and then told me that I'd need to fax them a copy of my renewal from AAMI to prove my rating, otherwise the policy wouldn't go ahead. I said OK.

In the end I decided to stick with AAMI, because I intended to do the Drivers course, which will be cheaper than Group-B after. I changed my details, and renewed. Two days after I logged in to my online banking to find out that I had [/b]double[/b] the premium taken from my credit card account, going to two different companies. I instantly called up Group-B, and asked wtf is going on - These sheisters decided to just take my money without the faxed renewal, something of which I was told wouldn't happen. I asked for my money back, and then they tried to slug me with a $30 cancellation fee, even though I was entitled to 100% of it back through the 30 day cool off period. I demanded to speak to her supervisor, and 10 minutes later she says (not her supervisor) "We'll waive the cancellation fee", to which I replied "Damn right."

I won't be taking my business there again, and even though I won't say who the company really is, I will say: Be extra careful when dealing with 'cut price' insurance companies.

[edit: Oh yeah. AAMI are rather good when it comes to cars with modifications. I called them up when my Lancer was being done up, and had 17" rims, lowered suspension, dark tint, and a bigger stereo system installed, which they were all fine with. The only thing that they didnt' like was the 2.5" cat-back exhaust w/cannon muffler, which they said "That's ok - we'll honour your policy until renewal time, and then we'll send your policy to JustCar Insurance." Great group, I've heard of other companies just straight up refusing to enter your modification.]

Namus
12th February 2005, 02:12 PM
mate when it comes to things such as insurance and loans and credit cards and all of that sorta 'life or death' stuff (with regards to us young ppl) all i can say is "u get wat u pay for" and just for every1 to remember that.....good to see u stood up to the group-b idiots too....

FlySri
13th February 2005, 06:16 PM
Now I don't want to start a riot but.............. I'm 26, two people on the policy, Astra Sri Turbo, rating one and the car paid off. How much with RACV???

I'm paying under 50 bucks a month!!!!

Namus
13th February 2005, 08:52 PM
so many variable factors here it's not funny; but yes u're rate is extremely low....

1OPL2C
13th February 2005, 09:31 PM
i am 17.. and got comprehensive insurance.. with nrma.. bloody $2K a year..
i think it gets cheaper every year after..

RudeOne
13th February 2005, 09:40 PM
AMMI are not good.
they use dodgy repairs. (personal expereince)
they also hate mods and stereo.

i called them to insure my stezza (bout 6k worth) and they said this:
sorry we dont cover those types of mods, when ur policy is up for renewal we wont be offering you insurance again for this car.

i have 2.2l 01 astra with stezza and exhaust.... what tossers. and my mum have been with them for over 10 years. oh and i have been with them for 5... absoulte idiots. never ever use them again....

i went with RACQ which was a similar price and they dont mind the basic mods

low astra
13th February 2005, 09:56 PM
yeah my experiance with ammi is not good eigther i got told the same stuff especially when i mentioned how low i am but racq dont like my car 2 i think the lady said they accept 25mm lower than standard but 100mm lower than standard is out of the question
hey rudilly go with just cars i think thatl be my next move evan though they are part of ammi there not a racist about mods

break
13th February 2005, 10:08 PM
Sorry, but if you go for one of the really large insurance companies you get ripped off BIG TIME.

I'm 20, only been on my opens since just before new year, and I'm also a Rating 1 (long story how I got to be a rating 1 at 20... but i've actually been rating 1 for two years now :D). Anyway, with Swann Insurance i'm paying $480 a year for my car ('01 Barina 1.4 manual) insured as agreed value of $12k + mods. Plus Swann is happy with ANY legal modification on your car, as long as you declare it on your policy.

For the same deal, the cheapest ANYWHERE else would quote me was $890 :shock:

When us Qld'ers were involved in the pile up, Swann were fairly good with my policy. Not as quick as the big companies.... but for a $410 saving... whos complaining :P

@sh
13th February 2005, 10:20 PM
AMMI are not good.
they use dodgy repairs. (personal expereince)
they also hate mods and stereo.

i called them to insure my stezza (bout 6k worth) and they said this:
sorry we dont cover those types of mods, when ur policy is up for renewal we wont be offering you insurance again for this car.

i have 2.2l 01 astra with stezza and exhaust.... what tossers. and my mum have been with them for over 10 years. oh and i have been with them for 5... absoulte **moderated**. never ever use them again....

i went with RACQ which was a similar price and they dont mind the basic mods

:roll: AAMI have lifetime warranty on repairs

Only thing I have found with AAMI don’t allow is turbo, lowering and imported cars... for under 30 anyway