PDA

View Full Version : pod air filters good/bad

Akira
8th February 2005, 09:21 PM
hi. pod air filters good or bad idea on astras? does it pimprove preformace and fule economy? and has anyone had trouble with there air flow meter because of it? AKIRA

16vopl
8th February 2005, 10:26 PM
people have argued this point before, aswell as wether CAI has any bennefits. its really personal opinon on what they do, although pod has the nice sound its illegal in some states.

look for the post on derestricting air box or cold air intake mods

break
9th February 2005, 12:21 AM
I've recently fitted a POD to my Corsa C as an experiment.

At this stage, I would say they are a bad idea.

Bernard Siong
9th February 2005, 12:41 AM
i had a k&n pod on my astra
didnt sound that good
i chucked it on my mums lancer and it ROARS!
it makes ur car slower and uses more fuel
actually i guess it only used more fuel coz i was revving it harder to try hear the pod...but it did go slower!
get a panel air filter and derestrict it
i got a k&n panel but havent de restricted my air box yet..

1OPL2C
9th February 2005, 12:43 AM
yeh, i bought a pod and put it on.. and couldnt even hear it.. so i returnd it the next day..
on other cars u can hear it heaps louder.. dunno y

JP Dyno
9th February 2005, 09:24 AM
pod = bad.
noisier on one part,
and all it does is suck hot air from inside your engine bay, rather than cold air from ouside like a box and intake setup.

its only good if you can seal the pod off from the rest of the engine bay and provide it with a scoop or cold air intake of some sort.

1OPL2C
9th February 2005, 09:35 AM
heat shields? but only covers one side of the POD

Namus
9th February 2005, 09:37 AM
yeah u need to put a heat shield on it....go panel & derestrict

lowey22
9th February 2005, 10:13 AM
i found a gain when adding the pod on mine. makes a nice noise too.

does it really matter whether its a pod or a panel? doesnt it come down to the amount of surface area and where/how the air is coming in? if u have a wide (fairly straight) and short path for the air coming from outside, then it should maximise the benefit.

has there been a comparision between panel-derestricted and enclosed pod, both with pipes to the grill and possibly heat proofed? i have read the previous threads, but cant remember...

Nem
9th February 2005, 01:03 PM
Pod = bad heatsoak
De-restrict + K&N 57i = good and cheaper
BMC CDA or HP Maxflo = best by a small margin but no value for money

lowey22
9th February 2005, 01:51 PM
cool, thanks. makes sense (to me anyways) that the BMC CDA or Maxfol would be beta than panel-derestrict. now ive just got to keep working on making my own enclosed pod...

Nem
9th February 2005, 03:26 PM
If you want an example of the heatsoak speak to Rhino. I believe he's gone back to the standard airbox on his Sri-T after determining heat issues with his pod.

If you decide to de-restrict grab a Vectra C Diesel intake too and hook that up for better scoopage on the intake.

Namus
9th February 2005, 03:43 PM
has there been a thread on derestricting with regards to Astras?

YuSuF
9th February 2005, 04:02 PM
Pod? That's a Neddy no no.

Panel and de-restrict Airbox :wink:

Rhino
9th February 2005, 04:23 PM
has there been a thread on derestricting with regards to Astras?
http://groups.msn.com/opelaustralia/howtos1.msnw?action=view_list&row=14&viewtype=2&sortstring=

That's correct Ben. After some help from Turblue and SplogSRiT we found that my car, with custom intake pipe and pod, ran 35-40 degrees hotter (air temp at the intake manifold) than the stock intake setup under WOT.

Namus
9th February 2005, 04:40 PM
sweet as....cheers rhino mate :mrgreen: 8)

lowey22
9th February 2005, 04:59 PM
rhino, just to clarify (im easily confused), was the pod just sitting in the engine bay or was it enclosed?

Brett
9th February 2005, 05:02 PM
A pod is definitely a bad idea, sucking in hot air from the engine bay isnt a great way to gain power.

Namus
9th February 2005, 05:04 PM
regardless of enclosed or not....

lowey22
9th February 2005, 05:11 PM
wat? i dont understand. this topic has been bantered around for ages and there stil doesnt seem to be a deffinitive answer.

Nem said:

Pod = bad heatsoak
De-restrict + K&N 57i = good and cheaper
BMC CDA or HP Maxflo = best by a small margin but no value for money

I tend to agree in principle. obviously u dont want the filter (be it panel or pod) sucking in air from the engine bay. so u want an enclosed box with a filter inside it with a pipe leading to the grill. my question is what's best to have in that box, pod or panel? nem says pod from the above, i tend to think pod as u can get straighter and shorter air flow.

YuSuF
9th February 2005, 05:33 PM
Why would you want to put a pod in the airbox?

Just get a panel filter.

lowey22
9th February 2005, 05:51 PM
by making (or buying) a box that fits the pod, u can get straighter and shorter piping.

also a pod has greater surface area.

not sure how much difference it would make, but it should have some benefit over a panel with that setup. of course there is extra effort and cost involved.

mr_astra_retired
9th February 2005, 06:03 PM
I got a pod on my astra T , and works very well , no heat soak on hot days doesnt get wet on rainy days !!

Yes they are noisy :!: :!:

Pic shows the intake pipe going into the front guard

De-restricting the airbox is a great free mod that works well

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v29/mr_astra/newintake3.jpg

Nem
9th February 2005, 06:07 PM
K&N 57i inside the airbox. (It's a panel filter) Plus remove the extra pipework inside the box. If you're going to go to all the trouble of enclosing a pod inside your original airbox then I would just suggest you buy one of the enclosed performance filters I mentioned.

BMC CDA

[web:43de599ef7]http://www.bmcairfilters.com/VisDetail.asp?ID=203[/web:43de599ef7]

or HP RAID Maxflo

[web:43de599ef7]http://www.raid-rdi.com/english/luftfilter/maxflow.html[/web:43de599ef7]

lowey22
9th February 2005, 06:16 PM
neva would have thought a dam air filter would be such a complicated matter...

am going to try to make one myself, if that fails then i will buy one of those. which one is beta for an astra? i read it on a thread here somewhere, but i can rememeber where. also the cost?

Nem
9th February 2005, 06:35 PM
BMC CDA is about $400 imported. And the HP Raid stuff you can order out of Singapore and Europe IIRC.
They're much of a sameness performance wise.

Bernard Siong
9th February 2005, 08:24 PM
I got a pod on my astra T , and works very well , no heat soak on hot days doesnt get wet on rainy days !!

Yes they are noisy :!: :!:

Pic shows the intake pipe going into the front guard

De-restricting the airbox is a great free mod that works well

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v29/mr_astra/newintake3.jpg

AWESOME! looks heaps neat dude

Akira
11th February 2005, 11:22 PM
:bang: well personaly i think my car sounds like it has an exorst on it (by the by i am dislecsic and cant spell very well so excuse the spelling) i havent got it enclosed par-say but i do have the origanl piping running into the the bottom of the pod where it is inclosed. on fule ithink it runs about the same with more power but i have noticed it will run shit on hotter days.. but hearing all this i think im going to go shopping this weekend and buy some heat shelding for the top and maybe some piping...... than after i **** my car up ill just by a panell filter........ :bang:

Akira
11th February 2005, 11:26 PM
hmmmmm you cant swear............ good to know

shaohaok
12th February 2005, 12:01 AM
pods work well, but it really depends on where u put them.

i reckon mr_astra's setup would work very well.

Namus
12th February 2005, 01:16 PM
u really do need to protect it (read heat shield) from the heat in the bay otherwise it will negate any gains u may possibly find...

1OPL2C
12th February 2005, 11:15 PM
would a pod with a heat shield dat covers one side of the pod which is the engine bay side be alrite? the heat shield only cost $30..
this is for a 1.8 astra

NUTTTR
13th February 2005, 01:09 AM
I found in my 2.2L it was excellent once i was moving, it was the initial off the line die out though, it wasn't as fast straight off, but seemed to breath much better once moving, sounded excellent :) Roared like nothing else

Gildo
13th February 2005, 02:14 AM
JUst put a pod on my sri corsa 2nite and i gotta say it paformed much better once above 50 km/h, the inital 10km/h was slower but once your moving its much faster.
the noise it produces is awsome!
soulds like a roar!!