PDA

View Full Version : G'day from a beginner

Jodi
20th August 2016, 01:08 PM
Hi,

I've recently been road tripping through the USA in a super old crappy chevy pickup. having had to maintain it until it finally died completely I have been motivated to maintain my car as much as i can instead of heading to the mechanic every time.

I'm cruising in a 03 Holden Astra 2.2L Sri 3dr catch manual.

guy 27
20th August 2016, 01:32 PM
Welcome to OA

dutchy
20th August 2016, 01:46 PM
Welcome 😀

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Jodi
20th August 2016, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome. I just did my first oil (and filter) change. Great success!

I'm about to replace my rocker cover gasket. Would either of you by any chance know where I could find a free online copy of the haynes repair manual for my ride?
I just want to make sure I get the torque levels right because I found something that said they should be 9-10Nm and my instinct tells me thats a bit too low.

adam_92
20th August 2016, 04:43 PM
I think its actually 8nm. Literally nipped up finger tight. Too tight and the cover will actually warp and leak worse than before the gaskey change

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

Jodi
20th August 2016, 04:45 PM
Really that light? I know that some rocker covers are metal and some are plastic. Does that make a difference? Mine is metal

Thanks for the help

daaaaavek
20th August 2016, 05:36 PM
Welcome to OA! Nice to see another TS SRi 2.2L member here :thumbs:
What changes have you got planned for it?

Torque for rocker cover to cylinder head is 9Nm

Raisin
20th August 2016, 05:42 PM
Welcome to OpelAus!

Jodi
20th August 2016, 06:11 PM
Thanks daaaaavek!
Not too much I mainly want to have this oil leak fixed and then I think a few minor things. The front bumper got grazed/hit (and the driver didn't even leave a note!) and now that has kind of come out just under the headlights so I'm going try and figure out how to fix that. It looks like the connection/hole that the rivet when through got ripped open :/ the bonnet paint has sun damage (i think thats what it is, the paint or top clear coat looks to be coming off while i was a way and is quite sizeable. So i will try and get it looking better again.

I think my alternator or starter motor has seen better days so I'm going to look into that and maybe replace it. But i think the way the engine is set up they are a bit lower down so that doesn't sound like its going to be as cruizy as the chevy.

Other than that I was thinking of maybe putting in a new radio with a usb/aux input.

So if you have any tips or warnings regarding any of these things, please let me know!

faneca
20th August 2016, 06:35 PM
Welcome along! Few plans in order I see!!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

daaaaavek
20th August 2016, 10:30 PM
What colour is your Astra?

The alternator is not too difficult to get to if you remove the intake manifold first .. to swap it out should be no more than a 2 hour job.

Mind telling us where you are from?