PDA

View Full Version : Gday from Adelaide!!

rickysa
7th August 2016, 08:16 PM
Hi all,

New to OpelAus and Opels.
Based in Adelaide, just bought a used 2008 Astra(H) HSV VXR coupla weeks ago and utterly addicted to it.
This is my new daily driver after stepping out of a '98 Honda Civic, and I gotta say the boost is bloody intoxicating!

Other cars in the stable:
2010 Hyundai Santa Fe - family car
1976 Chev Corvette - fun cruiser

Usually do most car servicing and repairs myself except for any major rebuilds so big learning curve ahead with this beast.

Haven't really done a lot to the car, put on a new set of tyres (Michelin Pilot Super Sports).

Car was surprisingly designed with no engine temp. gauge except hidden away in the dash display's test menus.
Those elusive menus only accessible from the old radio head unit but that's since been upgraded by a previous owner.
Worked around by getting one of those ODB2 bluetooth adapters from Jaycar and use the Torque Android app. to connect to it - very good realtime info + extra telemetry.

Started losing boost few days ago and leaking oil from top of exhaust manifold.
While cleaning up oil splatter, found manifold bolts to be only finger tight.
Tightened up and got my boost back but still seeping oil from manifold top right stud - turns out to be a fault from factory and manufacturer issued a bulletin requiring block studs be re-torqued with thread sealant.

That's about it so far.
I'm active on a few generic car cruise get togethers around Adelaide so hopefully see some of you guys around either here or out on the road.

Cheers! :D

guy 27
7th August 2016, 08:30 PM
Welcome to oa

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

adam_92
7th August 2016, 08:47 PM
Welcome to Opelaus, from another Adelaide member. Hopefully see you around soon

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

dutchy
7th August 2016, 09:15 PM
Welcome to the forum.

mickos
7th August 2016, 09:43 PM
Gday mate

faneca
7th August 2016, 10:28 PM
Welcome along mate!! What part of Adelaide are you in? Just so I know when I should expect a wave!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

faneca
7th August 2016, 10:30 PM
We are actually also having a quick go kart meet this weekend at fast karts Richmond 3pm on Sunday 14th. More than welcome to join if your free. Kinda a spur of the moment decision we agreed on at the last meet so we haven't set up a meet on here chat for it

chris_r
8th August 2016, 12:04 AM
Welcome along Ricky. More Adelaide members, that's what I like to see. Being to the west of Salisbury myself.

With regards to manifold bolts, yeah because of that torque plate (the metal external gasket looking thingo which the bolts sit on), they only require about 8Nm. I think it's all to do with expansion and contraction when it's heated up/cooled down. And the only problem I find with the Torque app/ELM327 BT combo, is somehow my car was hitting about 84psi boost, lol. I would think my car would make one rather large bang if it were that high.

But yes, join us this coming Saturday. About time we had a VXR to the meet, as we haven't seen one in a while, lol.

dutchy
8th August 2016, 12:52 PM
But yes, join us this coming Saturday. About time we had a VXR to the meet, as we haven't seen one in a while, lol.

:lol::lol::lol: faneca

faneca
8th August 2016, 02:33 PM
that's not technically my fault!

adam_92
8th August 2016, 03:09 PM
And chris_r its sunday, not satirday

dutchy
8th August 2016, 03:50 PM
that's not technically my fault!

Well it is, if you kept you car stock :-)

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

rickysa
8th August 2016, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome guys.
And cheers for the karts invite too. My sorry ass will be thinking of you guys burning rubber while I slave my guts out at work this weekend��

Am down south in the Happy Valley area so give me a wave if you see a black one roll past.

PS> Dunno if it's anyone's on here but there's a late model light blue Vauxhall badged Corsa VXR getting around down here lately. Very tidy (and quick)

chris_r
8th August 2016, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome guys.
And cheers for the karts invite too. My sorry ass will be thinking of you guys burning rubber while I slave my guts out at work this weekend��

Am down south in the Happy Valley area so give me a wave if you see a black one roll past.

PS> Dunno if it's anyone's on here but there's a late model light blue Vauxhall badged Corsa VXR getting around down here lately. Very tidy (and quick)
Not far from adam_92 then. You might see him around in the Astravan.

That Vauxhall Corsa VXR was up for sale a few months back for just under $10k. My understanding is that like Adam's van, it was a private import too.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

adam_92
8th August 2016, 07:25 PM
Another southern lad! About time. Mrs used to live in happy valley on dawson ave. I was there quite often, either in my black sri turbo or panelvan which have now been morphed into one beast! Im down at hackham now.

Cant say iv ever seen that corsa around though.