PDA

View Full Version : Why lock interesting threads

astro boy
7th February 2005, 11:59 AM
Why was the Astra T vs GTI 180 thread locked. The only decent thread on here for awhile and it gets locked :x Surely people can express their opinions even if they are a little fired up. No one swore, there wasn't any personal attacks :?

macquered
7th February 2005, 12:15 PM
Exactly, not impressed. It was an interesting argument. Debate is good, don't discourage it. I think it showed particularly poor judgement from whoever decided to close it.

Anonymous
7th February 2005, 12:34 PM
hot happy... no way was it heated

exchanging facts and figures is not worthy of a locked thread!!!!!!

mods are soft if they think that's too heated!

Namus
7th February 2005, 05:06 PM
ah beauracracy at it's finest :P

GOZOFF
7th February 2005, 05:39 PM
Why was the Astra T vs GTI 180 thread locked. The only decent thread on here for awhile and it gets locked :x Surely people can express their opinions even if they are a little fired up. No one swore, there wasn't any personal attacks :?

Hmm.... Maybe and im taking a guess but on other forums its done too if you look closely by the 2nd page the actually topic Astra T vs GTI 180 was lost, a mods job is to keep a thread true to its topic if it goes to far off topic it gets locked. Simple :wink:

Anonymous
7th February 2005, 06:39 PM
*editted By Me, As Attachment was in Poor Taste*

mr_astra_retired
7th February 2005, 06:39 PM

Astro boy and others in this thread there was a reason given why it was locked by one of the admins , simple !

If people want to complain and opelaus mods/admins , just think how many threads you see locked on this site and how free flowing it is :!:

macquered
7th February 2005, 06:56 PM
So a plethora of off-topic threads on a Opel based forum is perfectly OK but a thread that goes for 5 pages discussing the rivals of the SRiT is just not on?

Holy double standards batman!

mr_astra_retired
7th February 2005, 06:59 PM
So a plethora of off-topic threads on a Opel based forum is perfectly OK but a thread that goes for 5 pages discussing the rivals of the SRiT is just not on?

Holy double standards batman!

The reason it was locked was not due to the fact that the thread discussed a opel made car and its rivals :roll: but due to the text that it involved by members that can not discuss without flaming :!:

macquered
7th February 2005, 07:11 PM
Wow, if thats what you call flaming then god help us. Obviously I'm not the only that that see's it that way either.

Rhino
7th February 2005, 07:23 PM
Macquered - If we let flaming get to the same level as everyone elses forums (or what you are used to), how would this be a better site?

OpelAus doesn't mind constructive arguments, but that clearly was starting to get personal and heated. And that is my opinion, since I only looked at it for the first time I think today - with fresh eyes.

If you don't want threads to get locked... THINK BEFORE YOU POST. It is very easy for your posts to get misinterpreted in a heated discussion.

If you can't, the thread will be locked.
That is called moderation.
Good call Steve.

a_manda
7th February 2005, 07:26 PM
if you took time to read the forum rules you'd become quite aware of the reasons why it was locked :screwy:

and if you're too lazy to find the forum rules, here's the url

http://opelaus.com/phpBB2-3/viewtopic.php?t=10

3) When replying to a technical thread, the poster should have at least either additional content and/or a related question. Replies with useless, unrelated comments or questions or those completely off-topic (as deemed by us) will be deleted.

4) We take a very dim view of people who come here simply to disrupt the forum, either by flooding the board with comments coming from a single point of view in pretty much every posting they make or by intentionally posting something which they know is against our forum rules or which is intended to start a flame war. If you wish to cause discontent amongst your fellow posters, please go elsewhere and find another place to hang out. We will not tolerate your behaviour on here.

macquered
7th February 2005, 07:46 PM
Fair enough, you had better lock this thread then as clearly there is someone who has a different opinion to you. Can't have that.

Back to baby photos and other important Opel related topics.

a_manda
7th February 2005, 07:51 PM
Fair enough, you had better lock this thread then as clearly there is someone who has a different opinion to you. Can't have that.

grow up :!:

mr_astra_retired
7th February 2005, 07:58 PM

Macquered i think its time to take a breath , one locked thread in a long time and your up in arms , if you dont like the admins choice in locking threads of any other issue's regarding this forum , i suggest you use the LOG OUT button .

The admins decision on the locked thread is final !

This forum is very carefree , un biased and free , just remember that !

Dee
7th February 2005, 08:05 PM

i agree
but you forgot the photochopping everyone into stupid photos....... :roll:

daopeliser
7th February 2005, 08:05 PM

hahaha that is the funniest thing i've read in so long i'd say it deserves POTY cant agree with u more mate

a_manda
7th February 2005, 08:11 PM
but you forgot the photochopping everyone into stupid photos....... :roll:

its called OFF TOPIC you need that explained to you :?:

Dee
7th February 2005, 08:15 PM
i know what off topic is... if you look most of my posts when i joined were in OFF TOPIC....

but those threads seem to be more popular than anything else on the forum.. its a car forum.. if you want off topic go to www.offtopic.com

a_manda
7th February 2005, 08:23 PM
i know what off topic is... if you look most of my posts when i joined were in OFF TOPIC....

but those threads seem to be more popular than anything else on the forum.. its a car forum.. if you want off topic go to www.offtopic.com

pfft wont waste my time in fact while we're swapping url's here's one for you www.stfu.com

Anonymous
7th February 2005, 10:07 PM
The Claws are Out.
Maybe this should be locked.
I can feel the heat 100 metres away.

I'm going to leave this alone. Arguing on the Internet is just like winning Gold in the Special Olympics. Just because you Won, Doesn't mean ya not a Retard.

Aus-SRi
7th February 2005, 10:13 PM
If your all gonna whinge and moan and groan well obviously its gonna be moderated end of story.. If you wanna abuse and insult other members on the forum then find somewhere else to do it as it wont be tolerated on this forum. The off-topic section is for off-topic material. so feel free to post anything and everything non-car related in there(except offensive material obviously). As for ON-topic discussions the whole idea of the forum is to have a general discussion and ideas and share them with everyone and offer perhaps "constructive" critisism.... as for the TURBO V GTi Thread. towards the end all people were doing was abusing and insulting each other, therefore it was locked.

Thats my 2cents.. hopefully worth a bit more in by tomorrow :D

END OF STORY!!!!!!

if you have a problem with any user or any other part of the site feel free to message an admin and we will deal with it from there.

frankie9fingers
8th February 2005, 06:03 PM
and don't make me take off my shoe!!