PDA

View Full Version : *Breaking News* Insignia to be badged as Commodore in 2018

poita
2nd March 2016, 10:06 AM
So, let's be honest, everyone saw it coming.

But it's pretty well official now. The Opel CEO has let it out at the Geneva Motors how that the 2018 Commodore with be a rebadged Insignia.

Thoughts?

http://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/next-holden-commodore-to-be-a-german-opel-says-the-boss-of-general-motors-european-division/news-story/7a29d38846540550e8f690bfdc90c7e8

Sent from my Nintendo 64

dutchy
2nd March 2016, 12:26 PM
:lol: who would have thought :lol:

MikeCheck
2nd March 2016, 02:02 PM
Do you think they'll import a V8 something to compete a bit more with Ford?

M

poita
2nd March 2016, 02:04 PM
Have read a few things from GM and they have expressed quite clearly that the Camaro won't be coming here.

But surely they have to do something

Sent from my Nintendo 64

chris_r
2nd March 2016, 02:10 PM
Apparently the Corvette is meant to be coming at some point.

As poita said, Camaro won't be coming in this generation, but it hasn't been ruled out with regards to when a replacement model lands. I think the Mustang's sales could possibly change that if there's enough demand.

But what will be interesting though, 2018 V8 Supercars and what Holden will be putting out on the grid. Now that I want to see.

poita
2nd March 2016, 02:11 PM
Well rules are changing to turbo 6. So I reckon it's pretty clear cut that it'll be Insignia

Sent from my Nintendo 64

kabel
4th March 2016, 07:08 PM
So the "new' Commodore will be a rebadged Opel ?

So will people be replacing the Holden badge with the Opel badge as they do now with the Chev badge ? :rum:

pd-xc-72464118
6th March 2016, 10:31 PM
I think I'd probably prefer they retire the Commodore badge in recognition that Australian manufacturing has ended. Not sure the Commodore brand has had much exposure for years anyway as AFAIK they've been prioritizing everything but the best car ever made in Australia.

On an indirect topic, anyone else feel like the Cruze was the car the Camira always should have been in terms of quality and popularity, but never was, and yet Camira lasted for ages where Cruze was barely manufactured here for a couple of years - even with government subsidies!?

Not sure what the general impression of Holden is in this forum but I personally haven't really felt the need to go rebadge my car with Opel (or Chev) badges. I think it's a huge shame that Holden is shutting down local manufacturing. Holden always seemed to have had, at the very least, engineers with a great understanding of how to produce good handling cars. My experience is very limited but the very few times I rode in a local Falcon, they felt more like a lounge room couch with front ends that rose and fell when accelerating and braking. Not my cup of tea! Did Toyota ever produce a local car with handling that made their externally boring cars drive well?

Vectracious
17th March 2016, 01:09 PM
I think it's great they are bringing the Insignia as the replacement. They should not call it a Commodore. The badge should be retired as pd-xc stated above.

Hopefully they bring a lot of variants over so we have a wide choice. Insignia wagon (or sports tourer as Vauxhall call it) with the biturbo 2.0 CDTi for me thanks.

Sent from my SM-T715Y using Tapatalk

Purplehazeffc
19th March 2016, 12:53 PM
Looks like they have come full circle. The original Commodore the VB of 1978. Was a modified Opel loosely based on the 1977 Opel Rekord E bodyshell but with the front grafted on from the Opel Senator.
Hopefully Holden engineers will be allowed to set up a the suspension settings to suit Australian conditions. I hope it's not just a change of badge only.
As with using the Insignia with a turbo 6 in V8 Supercars??? I don't think many of Holden supporters would go for that. Holden for a long time (40 years) have had a V8 for racing.

dutchy
19th March 2016, 12:59 PM
Setting up suspension would be really easy if it's got flexride.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

faneca
19th March 2016, 03:33 PM
Pretty sure I read somewhere that they had Aussie engineers working on both the new Astra and insignia during development as well so if I read that correctly then they may already have a preset for oz

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

dutchy
19th March 2016, 06:17 PM
If they have flex ride it'll be computer controlled.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

chris_r
19th March 2016, 10:15 PM
Looks like they have come full circle. The original Commodore the VB of 1978. Was a modified Opel loosely based on the 1977 Opel Rekord E bodyshell but with the front grafted on from the Opel Senator.
Hopefully Holden engineers will be allowed to set up a the suspension settings to suit Australian conditions. I hope it's not just a change of badge only.
As with using the Insignia with a turbo 6 in V8 Supercars??? I don't think many of Holden supporters would go for that. Holden for a long time (40 years) have had a V8 for racing.

Actually, the VB Commodore as we know it, was in fact the third generation Opel Commodore or Commodore C in Opel nomenclature. Yes, it was based on the Rekord as you said, except they fitted the nose from the Opel Senator (another name Holden "borrowed") to accommodate a 6 cylinder engine, whether it was either the Opel cam-in-head (CIH) or the Holden Red 6. The fact Holden could also fit the V8 under the bonnet was a bonus.

As poita said, in 2017 the rules for V8 Supercars is changing. It'll also allow for turbo 4s and 6s to enter, as well as two door models (eg Ford Mustang) to race. Pretty much, it won't be V8 Supercars any more and the Ford/Holden bogans are going to have to live with that reality, whether they like it or not.

sskustomz
20th March 2016, 10:09 AM
Earlier than the commodore was the torana which was a vauxhall with an extended nose. Ive always wondered if the original vauxhall design had come from opel too?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

pd-xc-72464118
24th June 2016, 02:27 AM
FWIW I actually think "Holden Insignia" is a very good/cool sounding name. Certainly could be much worse! At least it's not going to be named Silvia! How great would a "Holden Beryl" be? Hmmm, it's late, what other classic Aussie girls names would apply here? Again, certainly could be much worse though I guess insignia means:

... a symbol or token of personal power, status or office, or of an official body ...

There's probably nothing more insulting than to suggest the flagship symbolic Holden of the future amounts to nothing more than an Opel with a few different plastic badges and an Aussie suspension map, no matter how true a reflection of Holden's history that arguably is.

For flip sake we're eating our beloved Hippedy Hoppeders; arguably AFL looks more like every other ball sport now they're all professional endurance athletes on drugs; turns out meat pies have probably never contained any real meat and now we've butchered the Holden dream! What's become of our national story? :yikes: :facepalm2: :mad2: :nono: