PDA

View Full Version : Holden Astra J VXR OR. 2016 Subaru WRX

DJC317
1st March 2016, 06:02 PM
Hi Guys,

Im currently in a bit of a mixed boat when it comes to deciding my next car. I have gone away from buying second hand cars as i have had a pretty bad experience in the past. So I'm going brand NEW!

I have driven both the 2016 Holden Astra J VXR and the 2016 Subaru WRX. The problem is, I like both. The WRX is considerably easier to get aftermarket performance parts for locally. COBB performance has announced that the Acessport 3 will be supporting the Australian Market, including support for flex fuel in the near future. (Something that i want to get involved with).

The VXR is an absolute pocket rocket, and unique with its 2 door configuration as well as Sport/VXR driving modes.. And those seats are amazing. From speaking to a few people here parts are available from overseas, the downside is that Currency Conversion is a killer. Im unsure of tunes and support/availability for Flex Fuel for this vehicle. From the information i have found searching, appears that the VXR shares the same ECU as 200-2015 Commodores which supported flex fuel.

Is there anyone on here who has driven both of these cars and have their own opinion? Im not making my final decision from this post, but just some ideas from other people would be greatly appreciated!

DC

MikeCheck
1st March 2016, 07:36 PM
I've driven the decades older versions (2003 Astra Turbo, 2003 WRX) and it's pretty safe to say: "they're totally different cars".

It's hard to compare the two really because they're just... totally different. They're built for different things, they have totally different pros and cons and in their different contexts one pro can be a con for another.

I mean yes on paper you've mentioned the WRX is supported way, way better here in terms of mods and people's general ability with them.

Otherwise WRX is AWD which is great for getting the power down/general handling buuuuut you also chew through a lot more fuel. Boxers generally aren't as efficient though so the Astra will win there.

WRX is 4-doors, Astra is 2-door. Practicality for a family the WRX wins, but if you're after a city run about car the smaller Astra would obviously be better.

In terms of power I'm going to guess the WRX would win and I'm sure you could eek a fair bit more out of it than the VXR, definitely more kw/$ I'd imagine.

I suppose the point I'm trying to make is they're entirely different cars so it's hard to 'compare'.

Cheers

M

DJC317
1st March 2016, 07:51 PM
Thanks Mike. Yeah i know that they are suited to different markets. They are both awesome cars in their own way. Thats what makes it hard to decide between the two of them. In the end, I'm not driving a family around. So two or four doors isn't a bother for me. Im not exactly going to go stupid on performance with either car, but in saying that. Knowing that i have the aftermarket support in the performance department is nice. The use for this car will be the daily commute to and from work and weekend spirited driving and track use from time to time. So in reality it docent pay to have a 'massive' turbo or heavy clutch (Had a skyline with a big turbo and button clutch, horrible around town to drive and no power in the lower engine RPM's).

Obviously, i would be doing basic modifications over time (including, exhaust, intake, intercooler and tuning). Best bang for buck modification for most performance cars these days is the ability to use flex fuel when set up for it. I know that its very easy on the WRX as the aftermarket support is there for it, including readily available kits and off the shelf plug and play tunes. Im still wanting to find out if i can get it on a VXR easily. I don't see why not though. The pros of using the fuel in a track environment are excellent, providing engine protection from detonation and cooling the combustion chamber.

I've driven the decades older versions (2003 Astra Turbo, 2003 WRX) and it's pretty safe to say: "they're totally different cars".

It's hard to compare the two really because they're just... totally different. They're built for different things, they have totally different pros and cons and in their different contexts one pro can be a con for another.

I mean yes on paper you've mentioned the WRX is supported way, way better here in terms of mods and people's general ability with them.

Otherwise WRX is AWD which is great for getting the power down/general handling buuuuut you also chew through a lot more fuel. Boxers generally aren't as efficient though so the Astra will win there.

WRX is 4-doors, Astra is 2-door. Practicality for a family the WRX wins, but if you're after a city run about car the smaller Astra would obviously be better.

In terms of power I'm going to guess the WRX would win and I'm sure you could eek a fair bit more out of it than the VXR, definitely more kw/$ I'd imagine.

I suppose the point I'm trying to make is they're entirely different cars so it's hard to 'compare'.

Cheers

M

faneca
1st March 2016, 08:02 PM
They do share the same ecu as the new model commodores and as such can be adapted to flex fuel. Given they are the same ecu also means that pretty where anywhere in Australia will be able to tune them.
Personally if the looks don't get you into the Astra the seats are what would seal it for me. The Astra is just such a nice place to sit and enjoy the drive and in terms of performance and fun the front diff is confidence inspiring and from what I have driven in one does have an awd feel.
The wrx is a nice car but the issue with it for me is they are everywhere. In Adelaide at least. The Astra is different and turns heads

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

DJC317
1st March 2016, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the words faneca. Good to find out details before i commit to spending money. Yeah, its very much a case of WRX are everywhere here in Queensland. In saying that, its a great car with lots of aftermarket support. The price difference between the Astra and the WRX is very attractive though. If i do lean towards the WRX, i would only be getting a premium model, I'm a sucker for leather interior. :)

They do share the same ecu as the new model commodores and as such can be adapted to flex fuel. Given they are the same ecu also means that pretty where anywhere in Australia will be able to tune them.
Personally if the looks don't get you into the Astra the seats are what would seal it for me. The Astra is just such a nice place to sit and enjoy the drive and in terms of performance and fun the front diff is confidence inspiring and from what I have driven in one does have an awd feel.
The wrx is a nice car but the issue with it for me is they are everywhere. In Adelaide at least. The Astra is different and turns heads

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Silver Surfer
1st March 2016, 10:20 PM
If your willing to pay 50 grand on road for a new wrx premium Why not save the future mod money and buy a focus rs mid 2016 No mods needed

DJC317
1st March 2016, 10:26 PM
Mods are always needed! Put your own touches on to make it your own. Besides, the RS is $55K.

If your willing to pay 50 grand on road for a new wrx premium Why not save the future mod money and buy a focus rs mid 2016 No mods needed

Silver Surfer
1st March 2016, 10:39 PM
Think you will find its 50,990 + on roads Sounds like you have already made up your mind Buy the rex and enjoy your modding!

poita
1st March 2016, 10:52 PM
Glad someone brought up the RS before me. Pick of the bunch by far

Sent from my Nintendo 64

poita
1st March 2016, 10:53 PM
And yes, 50,990 before orc. So around $55k

Sent from my Nintendo 64

chris_r
2nd March 2016, 12:50 AM
DJC317 I would say the fact you're on an Opel forum asking about this topic, that your mind is leaning more towards the VXR.

But as has been said and if I were spending the money, I'd be buying a Focus RS over the current VXR, as much as I hate to say it. Extra coin required yes, but I'd say it's the car that's set the bang for buck bar very high at the moment.

All I can say is, it's gonna come down to your own preference and what you want/need in a car. But whichever way you go, I think you'll enjoy it.

benzino
2nd March 2016, 07:37 AM
I'd say it's pretty telling that a lot of people on here are starting to have blue ovals in there sigs... :lol:

Ford is definitely doing it right when it comes to developing new exciting hot hatches.
Don't get me wrong, the new vxr is stunning, but it's also a 7 year old design! How long will it be before Holden brings out the astra K?
I think that what the general did with opel in Australia is pretty shameful and does not give much confidence in their strategy.

The new wrx just looks dull. Everything behind the bonnnet scoop could be a prius and you wouldn't second guess it - and those side mirrors?!
My 2c :)

eddysdaman
6th March 2016, 03:19 PM
Hi Guys,

Interesting conundrum.

Oddly enough a friend of mine just went through the same exact decision. And he went with the STi. Which I was surprised about because he works at Holden and could pick up the VXR at an OBSCENE price lol

For me, I value the style, presence, performance and comfort of my OPC over any of the competition, which is why 3 years ago I bought it. But I'll give you the same advice I gave my mate, which may have ended up swaying him.

I've done nearly 60,000kms - in that time I've had no mechanical faults that weren't caused by myself (will explain). I say that because:
My car is probably one of the most modified in Aus.

- Decat downpipe & custom mid section
- CAI w/ turbo inlet pipe
- Forge Intercooler
- Forge coolant hoses
- Short shifter
- Turbosmart recirc vale
- RSS Springs
- Ferodo DS2500 pads
- Lightened Flywheel
- Sachs St2 Clutch
- RSS IPF 340hp tune

+ a bunch of meaningless cosmetic bits like sunroof, head unit etc

What I love most about the car:
The looks, the 'what is it?' reactions, the performance, handling & brakes and the interior comfort (though sometimes harsh ride).
The economy isn't too bad for how I drive and the conditions I get stuck in (peak hour commutes) plus everything I've done in modifying it has made it that much better. But it comes at a cost $$$

So, what has gone 'wrong' - nothing really - other than what I may have otherwise already caused.
I had to do brake discs and pads at only 40,000kms - which to me is too soon for discs, but the evidence was clear and I did them.
At about 30,000kms I started getting issues putting power down, clutch felt like it was slipping. Turns out it was the flywheel which had warped and had some serious heat spots on it. How this happened I don't know, If for a second I thought it wasn't the clutch I would have worked it out under warranty but I'd already had it inspected and Holden had said that to confirm anything I'd be looking at a hefty bill especially if it turns out to be 'wear and tear' from having modified the car. So I ordered the clutch and flywheel to be safe and it's made a world of difference.
I also had a crack in my washer fluid tank which stopped holding water to wash the windows, was a strange one and not something that I've heard anyone else have but it was covered under warranty so wasn't concerned.

If you're chasing power, I'd go the STi.

As where I'm sitting now is bout the limit of the turbo and engine.
If I wanted to go further, I'd have to do turbo, and if I did turbo I'd have to build and forge the engine to make it worthwhile, at which point ~500hp at engine is achievable. The gearbox has always been a slight weakness with these cars so I wouldn't be surprised if you got issues after chasing more than 350hp. These build parts are readily available as kits from the UK - but we're talking big money. And I'm not convinced it would improve the cars dynamics or driveabililty.

But, if you want a car that's unique. Is better value for money (than an STi - even before you include the free servicing and 5 year warranty on these cars now) and still performs like the clappers and you can still make your own with straightforward enough modifications, the Astra is still a worthy choice.

DJC317
6th March 2016, 03:29 PM
Haha. I've had the pleasure of driving a VXR around for the weekend and I'm sold. So next week if all goes according to plan, deposit will be paid and i will be choo-chooing! :). The other thing that some of the other guys had already mentioned on here and you had too is that the car is different. You don't see many of them on the road so its kind of unique.

Thanks for the information and heads up though. I'll definitely need to speak to you more about the mods you have done when i get to the stage of modifying the car. Cant wait though. Have you looked in to E85/FlexFuel? This is something I will be chasing and looking into.

Apart from the modifications causing issues, seems like a lot of people are saying that the reliability of this car is very good. So thats good news for me and I'm happy to hear it.

Interesting conundrum.

Oddly enough a friend of mine just went through the same exact decision. And he went with the STi. Which I was surprised about because he works at Holden and could pick up the VXR at an OBSCENE price lol

For me, I value the style, presence, performance and comfort of my OPC over any of the competition, which is why 3 years ago I bought it. But I'll give you the same advice I gave my mate, which may have ended up swaying him.

I've done nearly 60,000kms - in that time I've had no mechanical faults that weren't caused by myself (will explain). I say that because:
My car is probably one of the most modified in Aus.

- Decat downpipe & custom mid section
- CAI w/ turbo inlet pipe
- Forge Intercooler
- Forge coolant hoses
- Short shifter
- RSS Springs
- Lightened Flywheel
- Sachs St2 Clutch
- RSS IPF 340hp tune

+ a bunch of meaningless cosmetic bits like sunroof, head unit etc

What I love most about the car:
The looks, the 'what is it?' reactions, the performance, handling & brakes and the interior comfort (though sometimes harsh ride).
The economy isn't too bad for how I drive and the conditions I get stuck in (peak hour commutes) plus everything I've done in modifying it has made it that much better. But it comes at a cost $$$

So, what has gone 'wrong' - nothing really - other than what I may have otherwise already caused.
I had to do brake discs and pads at only 40,000kms - which to me is too soon for discs, but the evidence was clear and I did them.
At about 30,000kms I started getting issues putting power down, clutch felt like it was slipping. Turns out it was the flywheel which had warped and had some serious heat spots on it. How this happened I don't know, If for a second I thought it wasn't the clutch I would have worked it out under warranty but I'd already had it inspected and Holden had said that to confirm anything I'd be looking at a hefty bill especially if it turns out to be 'wear and tear' from having modified the car. So I ordered the clutch and flywheel to be safe and it's made a world of difference.
I also had a crack in my washer fluid tank which stopped holding water to wash the windows, was a strange one and not something that I've heard anyone else have but it was covered under warranty so wasn't concerned.

eddysdaman
6th March 2016, 03:36 PM
So next week if all goes according to plan, deposit will be paid and i will be choo-chooing! :) .... Have you looked in to E85/FlexFuel?

Well, welcome to the club haha
And for me, I was going to look into it after my 60k service. I'll be out of warranty by then anyway as it's something I've loosely thought about.

DJC317
6th March 2016, 03:45 PM
Haha, thanks man!
Ah yeah, sounds good. The ECU this car has is shared with the SIDI - FlexFuel commodores, so the tuners should be able to activate the FlexFuel function on the ECU. Would just need to wire up the sensor and install it in the fuel system. Looking at some parts diagrams for this engine online shows where the sensor is installed normally (23 - Diagram Below). Would need to look and find out weather or not the In-Tank lift pump is up to the task though.

Well, welcome to the club haha
And for me, I was going to look into it after my 60k service. I'll be out of warranty by then anyway as it's something I've loosely thought about.

sooty
6th March 2016, 08:11 PM
260+ lph pump and 1000 cc injectors will give you the head room you're after. Can safely tune on the stock gear, but you'll run out of head room, don't want to have the injectors at 100% duty cycle.

DJC317
6th March 2016, 08:13 PM
Astra J is direct injected. Can supply fuel up to 550hp on standard injectors and HPFP.