PDA

View Full Version : WHEELS - COTY: Holden Astra AH write-up

Namus
4th February 2005, 04:14 PM
From Wheels Car of the Year edition just released

Sourced from: Wheels, Feb '05, pp. 70-71

If the jus-superseded, fourth-gen Astra (1998-2004) was in dire need of anything, it was some proper sex appeal. As far as performance, refinement, and dynamics were concerned, the old Astra remained a genuine force right up to its re-incarnation as the Polish-built 'Classic' mid last year.

Which brings us to Astra No.5 (or AH in Holden-speak). In terms of appearance, she's as new as they come - fresh and funky sheetmetal, hugely improved interior, and stacks more standard equipment. Astra's new body is 15% stiffer torsionally, 52% more resistant to body flex, and noticably larger than before. It's more aerodynamic, far more attractive, and impressively strong - scoring five stars in Euro NCAP testing 9helped by standard front/side airbags). But the price for its strength is additional weight, and the latest Astra has piled on quite a few kilos.

A mid-spec CDX manial weighs exactly 100kg more than the superseded CD, while sharing near-identical drivetrains and suspension. And there's the problem. Astra has gone from a front-runner to a dissapointing tail-ender in its performance and driveability. Even running 98 octane (for 2kW and 5Nm more grunt), the new Astra feels sluggish, especially in comparison with the 104kW Mazda 3 and 110kW Golf FSI. Astra Ecotec 1.8 - now meeting strict Euro 4 emissions regs - is far better insulated than the Mazda 3's vocal 2.0-litre, but it feels underwhelming, sounds dull, and doesn't like to rev. The revised manual shift is noticably slicker than the rubbery notchiness of the old model, but the carry-over four-speed auto, while smooth-shifting, makes the car feel leaden. Compared with the 3 or Golf, the Astra's drivetrain is uninspiring at best. It's simply crying out for a decent 2.0-litre.

Dynamically, Astra continues to do good things. It's very quiet, has electro-hydraulic steering that's quick and accurate, and it combines impressive poise with plenty of grip. Mostly. Pushed close to its limits, the Astra shows its lack of final polish compared with the Mazda and VW. Its steering loads up heavily in sudden directional changes, it understeers markedly with too much throttle early in a corner, and it doesn't mind wagging its tail either - under throttle lift-off on bitumen, or unprovoked on dirt. Its steering is relatively uncommunicative, and its standard ABS brakes, while excellent on wet bitumen, are appalling on dirt - not what you'd expect from a Holden. At least it's quiet and rides well.

Inside, Astra offers abundant headroom, a good driving position, and fair-to-good seats, depending on the model. But the trick new dash is an ergonomic mess. The centre-console controls are sited way too low, demanding a glance away from the road to operate the ventilation, and Astra's on-off column stalks are the same diabolical, cheap-feeling items from the Vectra - bulky, poorly marked, and unpleasant to operate. At least the interior quality has taken a big step up, and the Astra CD's impressive standard kit for $22k is a real sweetener.

Stronger, prettier, better built, better value, and pleasant to drive the new Astra most certainly is. But it advances the hatchback cause only compared with the six-year-old car it replaces, whlie moving the game nowhere in terms of Technology or Efficiency. It uses slightly more fuel than before, is much slower, and feels like it has lost some of the old car's eagerness. New Astra's good, no question, but it's a fair way from being great - or a COTY winner.

-Nathan Ponchard

Namus
4th February 2005, 04:15 PM
not too good...didn't make it past stage 1, finished third last overall....

query though; who the hell would take an astra out on dirt?

NUTTTR
4th February 2005, 04:45 PM
not too good...didn't make it past stage 1, finished third last overall....

Me :) I take my 2.2 out quite often.... never ever had a single problem!!! It brakes well on dirt and i've not had the rear step out unless i'm being stupid on ungraded roads...

macquered
4th February 2005, 04:45 PM

As strange as it sounds not all roads in Australia are sealed.

imay
4th February 2005, 05:50 PM
who the hell would take an astra out on dirt?

Me. The car is to be driven, and there is nothing like a stretch (or windy bit!) of dirt road that few others use, to cruise along and enjoy yet another part of this fantastic country we live in.
The biggest problem with dirt roads is the possibility of a couple extra paint chips and the need for a good wash when you get it back home. My G behaves very nicely on dirt, and I have no hestitation in driving the back roads . . . they have to be reasonabaly smooth though! Since it's been lowered it doesn't like it too rough!

Namus
4th February 2005, 06:48 PM
yes neway.....bak to the article

01CDsedan
5th February 2005, 12:28 AM
I think better tyres would make a lot of difference to the AH. The ones I drove were on Continental ContiEcoContact (I think) and they seem designed to be a soft, low rolling resistance, comfort tyre. The Michelin Pilot Precedas on my TS seemed far grippier.