PDA

View Full Version : alternator query

thirteen
3rd February 2005, 11:49 AM
does a v6 vectra have a larger output alternator than one which would be fitted into a 4 cylinder vectra, and are they interchangable?

thanks.

ultim8DTM5
3rd February 2005, 11:57 AM
Should be in your owners manual, the output would be between 80-100ampere I believe.

And most likely a Bosch unit.

Typically Barinas/Astras/Vectras share the same alternator across the board. Its cheaper than specifying model types. I know this has been the case from 2001> with these models.

Any reason why you ask?

thirteen
3rd February 2005, 12:04 PM
i think its given up after installation of my new system .. auto electrician is coming now to diagnose. :(

ultim8DTM5
3rd February 2005, 12:06 PM
Ahhh, should have upgraded your battery when you did the system :(

The car-spark (auto elec) will be able to advise you. Generally you can rebuild your stock one (to give larger output), get a reco one or buy a newie.

thirteen
3rd February 2005, 12:19 PM
yeah i know.

it is a bosch one i just popped the bonnet and had a look..

bosch ones are common tho correct? so i should be able to source a new one with higher output at lower revs possibly..

i was told though that upgrading my battery wont stop lighting dimming with large volumes because its the alternator which supplies power with the engine running?

did u have similar problems in the barina?

ultim8DTM5
3rd February 2005, 12:54 PM
They are common but also a bit pricey, they are great units.

I've got no problems with the barina and I'm running a shitload of power. I fitted a Stinger battery before I even turned up the volume on the new system.

If the alternator cannot cope with the demand then it looks to the battery to supply the difference. If you're battery can't cope with the load, then lights still dim etc.

thirteen
3rd February 2005, 03:11 PM
the auto electrician came, the battery terminals were in need of a cleaning thats all..

sometimes we think the problem is way more complicated then it is :oops:
he made an easy 100 bucks tho :bang:

ultim8DTM5
3rd February 2005, 08:48 PM
If the terminals were coated in a white, sulphurous looking thing that would be enough to disturb the connnection.

Quite common on batteries.