PDA

View Full Version : Which brake pads...

shifty
9th October 2015, 01:04 PM
Seeings im due to replace my rear pads i thought I'd see what brand brake pads u fellaz have found to be good and which ones are poor. I spoke to a bloke at midas today who said since bendix aren't what they used to be since they have stopped using abspestos in there pads, he highly recommended Sangsin. I've always used bendix but thought I'd see what else are the goods.
Cheers[emoji1]

Sent from my Boost View 5.0 using Tapatalk

chris_r
9th October 2015, 01:32 PM
Get on to gslrallysport aka Brakes Direct. They'll help you with just about anything brake related at good pricing too.

I'm still using QFM HPX pads, which are a decent all round pad with minimal dust. They were about $80 for the front when I bought them. When I swap my calipers for the Brembos I have in the shed, I'll be running Remsa pads, which Brakes Direct also sell. Apparently, they're pretty good too, but I'll find out when I get around to putting them on the car.

shifty
9th October 2015, 01:37 PM
The bloke at midas said something about about QFM pads but i thought he said they were made by this sangsin that hes talking about? QFM are aussie made so dont think they'd be sangsin? I'll get on to brakes direct, thanks

DRMAT
9th October 2015, 01:59 PM
+1 for Brakes Direct, i have the QRM HPX pads and love them. LOL@ no asbestos though... hasn't been asbestos in pads for about 10-15 years now!

shifty
10th October 2015, 06:49 AM
+1 for Brakes Direct, i have the QRM HPX pads and love them. LOL@ no asbestos though... hasn't been asbestos in pads for about 10-15 years now!
I didn't realise it had been that long since asbestos in pads! Usually i dont think twice and just grab bendix but i think I'll give the QFM HPX pads a go. Are they ceramic? My discs aren't the thickest so dont wanna go with metallic compounds and would rather ceramic than organic, even though ive heard good things about quality organic pads.

DRMAT
10th October 2015, 07:55 AM
Can't recall the compound but they aren't harsh metallic that'll chew through discs and pads.

Legoman
12th October 2015, 01:23 PM
Ceramic is the way forward if you don't want to be cleaning your wheels after every single drive and replacing rotors along with every pad change. Despite the front calipers in my car being an Ate and the rears being Lucas, neither yet does a ceramic pad to suit them. Akebono had nothing to suit in their ceramic range either. I went with Ferodo ThermoQuiets (TQ). $69 a pair each end (F+R) was cheaper than anything Bendix.

They have massively improved the car, made it much easier to drive smoothly, don't turn the wheels instantly black, are very gentle on the rotors and completely silent in operation at any speed. I kept the almost new OE front pads that were in there with plenty of material left on them to put back in if necessary to sell it again down the line, but never would I consider those pads again for my own use. They are hideous. Way too high a friction coefficient for extreme rotor wear and ridiculously grabby non-linear retardation effect that will put your passengers through the windscreen at the first red traffic light if driven by someone unfamiliar. Totally ridiculous pad for use in the land of endless traffic lights & brisk stroll speed limits we call Australia. They also turn your wheels jet black after just one drive, which I absolutely hate. I completely cleaned all four wheels (removed from car, cleaned three times with Armorall wheel cleaner, all wheel weights removed, glue residue and mounting tape, road grime & tar spots all removed with kerosene). The wheels had never been this clean since they were brand new. Two of them then went to rim repairer for respray to remove some kerb rash damage, then reinstalled back on car and driven straight to workshop for all four pad replacement. In just that one 15 minute drive to the workshop, all four perfectly clean wheels gained a nice black dust coating easily visible after the handling by the workshop guys taking them off to get to the brakes.

Seriously Pagid & Textar pads should be banned. Anything that produces that much dust can't be good for the environment. Asbestos would be better.

The only difference in braking performance I can notice since changing to Ferodo TQs is a much more linear pedal feel. You can still induce the ABS just as easily as before, it's just that it doesn't all happen in the first 10mm of pedal movement now and the car isn't constantly standing on its front bumper at every red traffic light inviting those behind to ram into you.

Legoman
12th October 2015, 01:52 PM
I spoke to a bloke at midas today who said since bendix aren't what they used to be since they have stopped using abspestos in there pads, he highly recommended Sangsin.

I had never even heard of Sangsin until you mentioned it here, but Google tells me they're OEM Korean pads presumably fitted to garbage like Hyundai, Kia, Daewoo, Ssangyong etc. Obviously the Midas guy was just recommending to you what he happens to have in stock on his shelf, so he can make a sale at minimal cost and effort of his behalf. I don't think anyone would ever seriously recommend a Korean OE brake pad no-one's ever heard of for a European GM product car. Not unless price was the only decision making factor (such as you're selling the car).

Go with a pad you've at least heard of before. You've heard of Ferodo & Bendix no doubt. Repco probably also. Sangsin? Are you kidding me?

shifty
12th October 2015, 11:43 PM
I had never even heard of Sangsin until you mentioned it here, but Google tells me they're OEM Korean pads presumably fitted to garbage like Hyundai, Kia, Daewoo, Ssangyong etc. Obviously the Midas guy was just recommending to you what he happens to have in stock on his shelf, so he can make a sale at minimal cost and effort of his behalf. I don't think anyone would ever seriously recommend a Korean OE brake pad no-one's ever heard of for a European GM product car. Not unless price was the only decision making factor (such as you're selling the car).

Go with a pad you've at least heard of before. You've heard of Ferodo & Bendix no doubt. Repco probably also. Sangsin? Are you kidding me?
Thats why i thought id ask on here if anyone hsd heard of them bcoz i certainly have never heard of sangsin but the midas mechanic also showed me charts etc that say these sangsin are up to 20% better than bendix, i doubt it but for a $100 for a rear set of pads they'd wanna be decent. In the end i went with bendix again as theyve never let me down before. When its time to do my fronts i think I'll give QFM a go.

shifty
15th October 2015, 06:26 AM
Ended up putting Calibre pads in, there made by bendix but around $20 cheaper. They feel good BUT after nearly 100km they started squeaking so i re bedded and now just the tiniest squeak but still annoying the s#@t outta me! Maybe there just settling in but if still doing it tomorrow I'll take them out and put abit of grease on the back of the calipers. I put grease on shims, slide pins and the top and bottom of each pad but thought I'd cleaned everything else good enough but seems like i must've missed a bit of dust and thats whats causing the squeak. No biggy easy fix HOPEFULLY!
Btw i tried to use a cube to turn the piston but no go, none of the sides would fit so had to buy a wind back tool that i was expecting to be around $50,yea well $115 later im asking mates if they want there brakes done cheap[emoji39] gotta spend money to make money hey[emoji389]

shifty
15th October 2015, 06:29 AM
I meant I'll put grease on back of pads not calipers.... [emoji36]

Legoman
15th October 2015, 10:54 AM
Ended up putting Calibre pads in, there made by bendix but around $20 cheaper. They feel good BUT after nearly 100km they started squeaking so i re bedded and now just the tiniest squeak but still annoying the s#@t outta me! Maybe there just settling in but if still doing it tomorrow I'll take them out and put abit of grease on the back of the calipers. I put grease on shims, slide pins and the top and bottom of each pad but thought I'd cleaned everything else good enough but seems like i must've missed a bit of dust and thats whats causing the squeak. No biggy easy fix HOPEFULLY!
Yeah, a quick google search beforehand would've shown you the Calibre pads are the cheap generic brand Bendix use for their cheapest pads made for the SuperCheap Auto chain they've renamed because they don't want them easily associated with being Bendix.

Lotsa reports of what you're experiencing with noise, poor contact patch, low grip, spongy pedal feel and no heat resistence. Basically the cheapest pad on the market for saving money on a car you need to sell.

poita
15th October 2015, 11:45 AM
That's what happens when you be cheap on important components I guess

shifty
15th October 2015, 12:15 PM
Yeah, a quick google search beforehand would've shown you the Calibre pads are the cheap generic brand Bendix use for their cheapest pads made for the SuperCheap Auto chain they've renamed because they don't want them easily associated with being Bendix.

Lotsa reports of what you're experiencing with noise, poor contact patch, low grip, spongy pedal feel and no heat resistence. Basically the cheapest pad on the market for saving money on a car you need to sell.
I thought seeings they have bendix on the pack that they'd be ok and in my opinion there pretty good, it was my mistake not cleaning the calipers enough that caused the squeak which i have just fixed and the pads feel as good as the "real" bendix that i had on previously.
Also i dont know about "the cheapest pads on the market" bcoz they were almost double the price of Ferodo and they were more than double the price of bosch so dunno where u got that info from. From what ive been told by professional mechanics is that bendix are average at best these days and the only reason they are expensive is bcoz they have a good name from years ago when they were quality. Last thing, the reason i didnt get QFM pads was that a mechanic told me that i need new discs or get them machined bcoz theres afew grooves in them from previous owner not changing pads and having metal on metal, so he said chuck on a pair of reasonably cheap pads bcoz the discs might chew the new pads really quick, he also said i could be lucky and the "cheap pads" might even the discs out bit warned me not to get a expensive set of pads as it could be throwing money away. So im going on a professionals advice. Yea i shouldve got top quality pads and DBA discs but at the moment cash is tight and im trying to the best i can to keep my car on the road

shifty
15th October 2015, 12:33 PM
That's what happens when you be cheap on important components I guess
Not exactly cheap when out of the 5 brands that were infront of me being bosch, ferodo, ABD sure stop, calibre and bendix, the calibre were second most expensive and didnt wanna throw money away getting expensive pads if my discs ripped them in afew weeks. Tbh i cant tell any difference between these and bendix. Ive had them hot and there not spongy and pull up well

ZomBie
15th October 2015, 04:49 PM
Squealing/Squicking is most likely due to new pads on worn/grooved discs..... Just give it another 1000km till the fully bed into the groves ;)

Have used Ferodo before, and they were a good pad. Stopped using them tho as got tired of doing special order all the time, as they didn't stock my size and had to cut down a larger pad.

Currently using EBC (yes I know all the kool kids use them). Just don't get the green's (what the kool kids use), as they aren't much above stock pads. I've had a few sets of Yellow R's in my track car, and they've been great.

And of course, don't forget the quality fluid. Good pads are nothing without good fluid. Gotta say AP Racing for this.

shifty
15th October 2015, 08:49 PM
I heard the EBC yellows are really good, I'll have to give them a go in future.

chris_r
16th October 2015, 08:56 AM
Never been a fan of EBC pads. That break-in coating gets on your wheels and you'll never get the crap off. And they squealed more than the Mintex pads I have in my 2014 Transit Custom, which squeal badly under high temps.

ZomBie
16th October 2015, 05:00 PM
Never had a problem with the break-in coating. They seem to break-in better if you give them a really good hammering, and the coating basically gets burnt off. A few slams from 60kph>0kph and they are good to go!