PDA

View Full Version : Hi OPELAUS!

naughtika
30th August 2015, 01:58 PM
Hi everyone, Im Christian from Brisbane and I have just acquired a 3 door XC Barina for my partner.

Im glad to have found this site :) much like ozvr4, where its got lots of information :D

anyway, the reading begins and hopefully if I ask question it'll be new ones to tinker with rather than previously sorted out issues

thanks again!

Christian

poita
30th August 2015, 02:34 PM
Welcome to the nut house!

Sent from my Nintendo 64

guy 27
30th August 2015, 02:44 PM
Welcome to oa

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

sskustomz
30th August 2015, 03:21 PM
Welcome

adam_92
30th August 2015, 03:56 PM
Welcome to opelaus!

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Silver Surfer
30th August 2015, 04:46 PM
Welcome

dutchy
30th August 2015, 06:42 PM
Welcome to the forum Christian

shifty
31st August 2015, 09:17 AM
Welcome to the ONE and ONLY OPELAUS [emoji16]

Sent from my Boost View 5.0 using Tapatalk

naughtika
31st August 2015, 09:45 PM
thanks for the welcome everyone! So far I have been tidying up the car, so that my partner can appreciate it better :)

ill use my thread to add my I experiences and "things to do" to this little car :) That way I don't flood the forum with lots of questions and so on.

so below are my "to do" list before I fly off for work in 2 weeks, as I'll be away for 3 weeks.

1. flush the transmission - is the oil filter really that big and that I need to remove that front cover?

2. gear shift lever - this is kind of loose, found that the ball joint part at the transmission is worn.. may need to tweak this with a rose joint... eventually :D

3. few squeaks here n there.. but nothing to worry about..

4. need to buff the whole car, as its white and the clear coat does not feel like it's ever experienced waxing :D

5. remove the crap that accumulated over the years around the battery and bonnet hinge area..

6. air con - replace compressor and re-gas

Things I've done after owning it for a week

1. engine oil flushed - used Fuchs Full Synth 5w40 with Westfil Oil Filter Z154

2. painted the grey plastic bits with matte black (sikkens rally black to be exact)

3. cleaned the engine bay - degreased it a bit as the previous mechanic didnt seem to have cared about how tidy it looks

chris_r
31st August 2015, 11:15 PM
Hi and welcome.

First of all, is this car a manual? If it is, it wasn't really designed for regular oil changes for some stupid reason. You drop the whole plate to drop the oil, which is kind of stupid. Again, if it's manual, the issue with the shift linkage is a common one. One, replace the linkage with a M-Tech shift shortener (it's all steel, instead of a part plastic linkage which breaks), it's expensive, but worth it. Secondly, the shifter can be realigned on the manual easily enough to take some slack out of changes.

naughtika
1st September 2015, 08:09 AM
Hi and welcome.

First of all, is this car a manual? If it is, it wasn't really designed for regular oil changes for some stupid reason. You drop the whole plate to drop the oil, which is kind of stupid. Again, if it's manual, the issue with the shift linkage is a common one. One, replace the linkage with a M-Tech shift shortener (it's all steel, instead of a part plastic linkage which breaks), it's expensive, but worth it. Secondly, the shifter can be realigned on the manual easily enough to take some slack out of changes.

the car is automatic. I have already ordered the dorman bushing replacement. so no rose joint mod :)