PDA

View Full Version : Opel Insignia Select Value?

peterdw
21st August 2015, 06:03 PM
Hi - I'm looking to change from my Opel Insignia Select (2012 - petrol) to a Holden Insignia VXR that is now available. I knew with Opel pulling out, that my resale would drop, but I'm being offered (trade-in) around 25% of what I paid for it less than three years ago. That's very painful and it's a heck of a car for that sort of money.

Am I being had by the dealers? Anyone have a view on what a reasonable price should be?

Interested in any thoughts. (I was the first on this site to get an Insignia back in 2012 - http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showthread.php?34104-My-new-Insignia-Select&p=796383&highlight=#post796383 )

Cheers,

Peter

poita
21st August 2015, 07:54 PM
TBH mate it doesn't surprise me.

The fire sale to clear them out destroyed re-sale on the Opel badged product.
dutchy has had the same experience too from memory

dutchy
21st August 2015, 08:19 PM
That would be correct and a 25% drop in value isn't actually not that bad. The moment Opel pulled out, I had a look at a 50k benz and got offered 60% below purchase value for a car only a few months old. If it was much lower, it would almost be worth it to change over to Holden badges just for resale.....

poita
21st August 2015, 08:28 PM
He says 25% value dutchy, so a 75% drop. Put on your glasses old man :p

benzino
21st August 2015, 08:30 PM
I read that as 25% of original value I.e. a 75% drop...
Correct me if I'm wrong, and sorry to hear. That sucks!

benzino
21st August 2015, 08:31 PM
Beat me to the punch Pete!

dutchy
21st August 2015, 08:47 PM
My fault, dirty glasses poita Ah, even a better reason to rebadge the car and offer that "Holden" as private sale to unsuspecting buyers. It sucks, I know. According to a dealer, mine was worth just under 15.000K when it was just a few months old with even under 4000k on the clock. But then again, imagine the smile, pleasure and enjoyment you'll get when driving the vxr !!! Hope you did not take out a loan though.

peterdw
21st August 2015, 08:58 PM
Hope you did not take out a loan though.

Sadly there is a loan ... and a gap ... hmmm, thanks Opel!

dutchy
22nd August 2015, 08:03 AM
Sadly there is a loan ... and a gap ... hmmm, thanks Opel!

Now that really sucks. That was exactly the same issue I tried to take up with Opel financial and legal department till they blocked my email address.

peterdw
22nd August 2015, 11:37 PM
Well, I found a dealer at Glen Waverley who was able to offer me a slightly better trade-in figure on my Opel Insignia, so I've swallowed hard, done the deal and pick this up next weekend:

poita
22nd August 2015, 11:42 PM
Nice upgrade.

Sent from my Nintendo 64

dutchy
23rd August 2015, 08:47 AM
Nice :)

chrissn89
23rd August 2015, 09:05 PM
Very nice

Nick965
29th August 2015, 08:28 PM
Very nice, congrats on the new purchase. If you don't mind me asking, did you consider an Insignia OPC, given they have suffered a similar precipitous drop in value, and, as I understand it, are very similar (mechanically) to the new VXR?

peterdw
30th August 2015, 08:37 AM
... did you consider an Insignia OPC ...
No, not really. My old Opel Insignia was at the end of its 3 year warranty and I'd finished the capped price servicing. So I was weighing up whether to change cars when I saw that Holden were now badging the Insignia, and that I could get a 5 year warranty (normally 3 years) and that it benefited from Holden's lifetime capped price servicing. That was more the motivation than looking for the higher performance spec ... although that is a real bonus!!

As an aside, I'd been harassing Holden as to why they wouldn't offer lifetime capped price servicing on my Opel Insignia - they'd sent me a letter saying I was now eligible as a Holden customer, but when I checked, they said it didn't apply to Opels. Even though they were already servicing Opels under capped price plans (for three years) and were happy to offer it on the almost identical Holden Insignia. They thanked me for my opinions which they promised would be passed on to the appropriate section ...!

I picked up my new VXR yesterday and will be driving it back from Melbourne to Sydney today. Very happy with the purchase, although I'm going to have to spend some time in the manual understanding the complexity of the two screens (MyLink and Driver Information Centre) - significantly more sophisticated than my old Opel.

JohnBu
30th August 2015, 11:27 AM
Congratulations, you really must like the insignia to purchase another one!