PDA

View Full Version : Would a cannon exhaust change car's power?

dmuddle
22nd July 2015, 11:35 AM
Hi guys,
I've been reading around and these exhausts are pretty controversial. A lot of people don't like them and think they're cheap and good for nothing. I'm personally on a cheap budget and if they do increase power I want to get one.

So I ask, will putting on a cannon muffler onto my 2004 SRi barina increase power? Or could it even decrease power?

Thanks guys,
Dylan

dutchy
22nd July 2015, 12:19 PM
:lol:
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac8/dutchy_02/car-humor-joke-funny-horsepower-exhaust_zpse4e5218b.jpg

guy 27
22nd July 2015, 12:38 PM
won't do anything apart from make more noise

sskustomz
22nd July 2015, 04:06 PM
Save your money and get a decent 2 1/2" system with a good set of headers.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=150765210144&globalID=EBAY-AU
This is the one I have and Chris_r also had this one in his Corsa.

chris_r
22nd July 2015, 10:17 PM
I'd say just go with a full 2" or 2.25" on a stock Z18XE. Any more is overkill and doesn't really help anything. The Hurricane headers are an awesome bit of kit and do make a difference, but remember the catalytic converter is in the original exhaust manifold. What this means is, in order to stay legal, there must still be a catalytic converter in the system, but you can get a 200 cell cat put just underneath behind the engine. Use of a 100 cell cat or total removal will trigger a fault code.

Your car also has two O2 sensors, aka pre-cat (in the exhaust manifold itself) and post-cat (under the car, further down the exhaust after the cat). The pre-cat sensor is responsible for adjusting fuel mixture, the post-cat sensor is a check sensor, it's job is to ensure that the cat is present and functioning properly. If the cat is removed or it has become blocked, it'll trigger an error code to the ECU.

Now, if you fit the Hurricane manifold and an aftermarket 200 cell cat, you need to move the post-cat sensor down the exhaust a bit further and this may result in needing to lengthen the wires for the sensor to reach where it plugs in to. This has been known to cause problems if not done properly. It may be possible to source another O2 sensor with longer wires to circumvent this problem.

The muffler itself has little effect on the overall performance, it's all about the overall flow. Too little flow and the exhaust chokes, too much flow and you have no back pressure and you lose power as a result. So, it's just a matter of finding the middle ground.

dmuddle
23rd July 2015, 04:02 AM
Thanks guys. I've been doing some looking into it. I was looking into a high flow cat converter (something I had recommended) and if it works a little better than the stock converter then I'll hqppliy take it on board.

Are there any specific exhausts (brands or anything) I can check out to get a quick feel of price range etc...

Thanks guys

dmuddle
23rd July 2015, 04:03 AM
sskustomz

Dad recommended a 2 1/2" exhaust system with a set of extractors too :)

chris_r
23rd July 2015, 07:28 AM
I can't think of any off the shelf systems for the 1.8 SRi. Everything is pretty much custom made for these cars.

dmuddle
23rd July 2015, 07:40 AM
Yeah, I've started to figure that out slowly haha

chris_r
23rd July 2015, 08:58 AM
Yeah, I've started to figure that out slowly haha
Don't get too disconcerted about it though, nothing is impossible with the Corsa C as I can prove. Mine has practically been built up in my carport/shed, mostly by myself with limited tools (and a few favours from mates), many hours of researching, a lot of trial and error as well as many arguments with the missus. And the end result of driving it on the road is one of the greatest feelings you can experience.

sskustomz
23rd July 2015, 09:45 AM
Get the parts, get some bends and bring it around, Trent can tig it up for you.

dmuddle
23rd July 2015, 10:43 AM
I'll keep looking into because I'm really keen :).

Quick question. How do I get the grey plastic bits surrounding the air con vents and aircon control out? I don't want to damage anything, I'm going to repaint them as they were really scratched when putting in my head unit and don't look nice with the new fascia

chris_r
23rd July 2015, 10:49 AM
I'll keep looking into because I'm really keen :).

Quick question. How do I get the grey plastic bits surrounding the air con vents and aircon control out? I don't want to damage anything, I'm going to repaint them as they were really scratched when putting in my head unit and don't look nice with the new fascia
Using a flat screwdriver, lever the vents out. You do this from just left and right sides of the hazard light switch and behind that are four T20 Torx screws to remove.

SilentShout
23rd July 2015, 09:22 PM
I cant remember the exact web address but xforce do a catback system for around 450 or so. I dont have one but someone from the forum put one on his C, Aparrently it makes a slight difference, but breathing on an NA motor is a 2 part system:

No sence farting more air if you cant get more air in the first place,

EG to notice the full potential of any exhaust you need a decent filter setup.

My SRI has a 2" from the o2 sensor back with just a fart cannon on the rear, Didnt notice a power jump but boy its loud ;)

soon to be fixed with a turbo though :) When i get all the gear ill put my old exhaust up for sale if anyone wants it. Will bolt on and make things loud. but thats still a month or two away.
sskustomz : What kind of wielding does this trent offer?
Looking to join some exhaust goodies in a few months time :)

sskustomz
24th July 2015, 05:45 AM
SilentShout long story but Trent is Dylan's dad, we used to work together. I have a tig welder here if you need something done. Pm me