PDA

View Full Version : Tyre selection -- help please!!

aarong
31st January 2005, 01:46 PM
Greetings all,

I know this comes up fairly regularly as a topic of conversation, but I was hoping someone might be able to offer me some specific advice.

I've got a lowered 3-door which currently wears 205/45 ZR16s. Can anyone suggest the best performance tyre in that size for around $200-230/tyre? I'm not sure of the weight index required, but am guessing the City 3-door would be the same as the 87W on the SRi and convertible??? Any ideas? Does the weight index really matter?

I don't really want to go to 50series profile either, as according to the Tyre Calculator, 205/45 ZR16s are the closest to the standard 185/65 R14s in diameter -- I don't want to stuff up the speedo/gearing...

All advice would be greatly appreciated.

Brett
31st January 2005, 01:55 PM
depends if u want ultimate grip or you care about replacing your tires every 15000 ks haha, from what i know the grippiest stuff ive used are the new Continental CSC2 they are damn soft, and mathews tyres sell the marangoni zeta lineas, which are a italian boutique tyre, even more grippy, they are pricey though, but boy do they stick when they are hot. P-zero neros are ok, not that sticky, pilot sport 2s arent bad either

Namus
31st January 2005, 01:57 PM
Weight index will matter as it can limit/restict wat u may or may not be able to purchase......i had Nexen's on my set of 16's (with 205/45 like urs) and they'd be in about that price range.....unidirectional tread (look dead same as Falkens) very sexy tyre and had no complaints with how they handle wet or dry conditions....highly recommended...

perhaps call bob jane t-mart; ask them wat they recommend and give us a list to work with....?

Namus
31st January 2005, 01:58 PM
yeah but those ones Brett go for like at least 350-400 p/tyre if not more...

Degen-Astra
31st January 2005, 02:05 PM
Hankook Ventus HRII H405
Hankook Ventus Sport K104
Kuhmo Ecsta ASX
Kuhmo Ecsta 711

All these are Load Rated 87 or above.

Pirelli P-Zero doesnt come in the size your after in the load index you require. If you went to a 50 series tyre then the P-Zero comes in at an 87 load.

aarong
31st January 2005, 02:08 PM
OK -- called Bob Jane and they stuffed me around a bit. Got a quote for Michelin Pilot Precedas in 205/45s with a weight index of 87W for $239 each -- I know they're not an all-out performance tyre, but could strike a decent balance...has anyone any experience with them???

Brett
31st January 2005, 02:15 PM
i can get contis on my 225s for 300 bucks, mathews or jax are cheaper, you just need to go there, i would say the 205s are definitely substantially cheaper. Pilot precedas are meant to be nice and grippy in the dry, and ok in the wet. eagle F1 gsd3s are meant to be okay, everyone seems to say a different thing about them though, if you want super sticky and no compromise go the continental csc2s i got friends who use them on their 911s and they swear by them for grip, not for mileage though haha, probably a good balance would be to go for like precedas though.

Namus
31st January 2005, 02:17 PM
They are a great balance from wat i hear......no experience with them though....but they sort u after.... 8)

aarong
31st January 2005, 02:18 PM
yeah I'm leaning towards the Precedas -- for that sort of cash I'd want them to last a bit!!

Namus
31st January 2005, 02:27 PM
don't go eagle F1's......motor magazine ran one of those tyre test about 18-20 months bak, and of the cars was an TS Astra...neway, the eagle F1 handled like crap on the corners and apparently lot of noise too, even though the sound-proofing is obviously right up there.....

go the precedas bro...

hey wat about Falkens??

Anonymous
31st January 2005, 02:29 PM
Pirelli p6000. my uncle has them on his bmw, and they're great for a moderately priced tire. 8)

aarong
31st January 2005, 02:29 PM
OK -- Here some other quotes from Bob Jane..

Yokohama C Drive - $215
Goodyear NCT5 - $185
Yokohama S306 - $209

Never heard of the Yoki C Drive but had the S306 on my old Celica and they were pretty damn average from memory (although the suspension wasn't the best)...

Precedas are looking increasingly good...

Namus
31st January 2005, 02:31 PM
those Pirreli may be good....just the price though...if they on a Beemer they can't bee exactly the cheapest on offer....call and ask?

Brett
31st January 2005, 02:36 PM
precedas are better then falkens, falkens are cheap tyres, if you can spare spending more go up from a preceda to a pilot sport 2 or even better a conti csc2, the pilot sport 2s are standard issue on the porsche GT, they cant be half bad then! and the contis are on rs6s, xkrs, 911s . those cheap tyres just dont get sticky, i remember motors tyre test, i think something like a firestone won that, which is wierd, but your running 45 profile, a tyre can be great in one size and for one type of car, and shocking in another, that test was done in like 60 profile.

aarong
31st January 2005, 03:00 PM
OK -- I've bitten the bullet and ordered a set of 205/45 Precedas at $235 each. Will let everyone know how they handle after they're fitted on Wednesday...

Anonymous
31st January 2005, 03:09 PM
those Pirreli may be good....just the price though...if they on a Beemer they can't bee exactly the cheapest on offer....call and ask?

they were roughly 200 each corner, 16inch rims.

GOZOFF
31st January 2005, 07:01 PM
Here's a site that may help you with picking the wheels you want plus its fun :D modifymycar (http://www.modifymycar.com/home.html)

Namus
1st February 2005, 03:47 PM
yeah that is a VERY GOOD site 8) 8) 8)

aarong
1st February 2005, 03:53 PM
OK got the Precedas a day earlier than expected and can happily report that they're pretty awesome -- pretty absorbent and very quiet for 45s -- and after a quick fang they hang on nicely...will report again after a rain test, which could be months given I live in Sydney!!

rjastra
1st February 2005, 10:42 PM
I've had precedas on my SRI for 25000km... they are shagged now but they have been one of th ebest allround tyre i have purchased.

EGG80X
1st February 2005, 11:32 PM
From my personal experiences

Bridgestone RE01R are the best..... very sticky in dry or wet, but can't say much on the price

or try Bridgestone S03

i have good experiences with pirelli P6000 and yokohama A539

entice
2nd February 2005, 08:52 AM
SO3...

Game over...

very sticky, and not too hard sidewall (CF RE070's).