PDA

View Full Version : Astra turbo vs 206GTI 180

Brett
31st January 2005, 12:56 PM
I dunno if any of you have driven a GTI 180, I have, and it is a shocker, its slow, its small cramped and the pedal placement is horrid. I was shocked to see that motor placed it better then the astra in the bang for you buck segment. This forced me to go drive it, and i was laughing the whole way through the test drive, that car is shocking, my friend in the passenger seat fell asleep. I am a fan of the clio sports drivability, and i know the astra turbo beat the clio in 2003 BFYB, thats why i was shocked to see the peugeot beat the astra, because the car is not even a patch on the clio sport let alone the astra

Namus
31st January 2005, 02:03 PM
weird how it works sometimes...they are slow those gti's....

Nem
31st January 2005, 02:40 PM
Its like some motorbike reviews... sure some of those stats are great if you're 5'4 like most of those motorcycle review guys are. But try being like me and being 6'2 and 100kg and see how good the bike really is. :D

Degen-Astra
31st January 2005, 02:45 PM
Yeah...i found it cramped to...being 6'5 and about 85kg. And Nem like you...hard trying to find a bike as well...especially a 250cc! :bang:

Anonymous
31st January 2005, 02:45 PM
this isn't the first time motor has been questioned:

http://forums.fastfours.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=89556&start=0

I think peoples reactions and discussions are better then what they actually write up to be honest.

Turblue
31st January 2005, 03:15 PM
Lemme tell you a true story...

We looked at the GTi, and the 206cc onvertible.

My Lady was DROOLING over the 206cc. I took it for a drive and came back and told her that there was no way we would buy it. She then told me that was only because it was not fast enough. I replied that it was because my size 12-13 feet were way too big for the pedals..!!! I simply could not control the car as my feet clipped two pedals at once.

It took a while before she believed me....

OPC
31st January 2005, 03:19 PM
you know what they say about guys with big feet ?

they wear big shoes... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brett
31st January 2005, 03:20 PM
tell me about it, haha its like driving on your tip toes, and the seating position is like sitting on a high chair. the engine is piddlingly weak and feels like one of those sportivo corolla tomagotchis, the interior is completely kitch. Motor praised the power down in the car, well anything that slow should have no power down issues, to me it felt no quicker then a stock barina sri if that. The only thing it can do, is take tight corners at high speeds haha which can be fun, if you can fit in the car.

Brett
31st January 2005, 03:22 PM
hey do you guys know much about those renault megane 225 turboes?

OPC
31st January 2005, 03:24 PM
hey do you guys know much about those renault megane 225 turboes?

YES THEY ARE UGLY... OH AND AROUND 130KW I THINK

Brett
31st January 2005, 03:29 PM
they are hideous haha but they have 225hp or 165kw, so that kind of means they could be quite quick haha, and the back end is so bad, id hate to imagine they are fast enough to ensure the hideous back side is all most people see

a_manda
31st January 2005, 04:28 PM
I dunno if any of you have driven a GTI 180, I have, and it is a shocker, its slow, its small cramped and the pedal placement is horrid. I was shocked to see that motor placed it better then the astra in the bang for you buck segment. This forced me to go drive it, and i was laughing the whole way through the test drive, that car is shocking, my friend in the passenger seat fell asleep. I am a fan of the clio sports drivability, and i know the astra turbo beat the clio in 2003 BFYB, thats why i was shocked to see the peugeot beat the astra, because the car is not even a patch on the clio sport let alone the astra

hey brett it's each to their own buddy ;) your points are valid but how you look at astras is how they look at the 180's.

i think they are a nice looking car, yes i know it's not all aesthetics, but these comments remind me of every typical commodore driver thinking their car is the best :screwy:

Brett
31st January 2005, 04:38 PM
ah no, thats why i went to drive it before i commented, i had the 180 on order instead of the turbo astra, the 180 was just a real dissapointment

Brett
31st January 2005, 04:41 PM
commodore owners just love big yobbo mobiles with archaic pushrod engines

Turblue
31st January 2005, 04:45 PM
I have to say that the 206GTi was a nice little car. The only thing was it has a shocking pedalbox for 6'2" 105 kg blonds like me with surfskis for feet..!!!

I test drove it and was kinda so-so, only due to the pedal thing. I walked out of the Peugot Dealer into Holden down the road, and drove the SRiT. And bought it on the spot.

My Lady will never quite forgive for no getting the 206cc.... :oops:

InSaNe^Sna1L
31st January 2005, 04:56 PM
I used to own a Pug 206, the 1.6 version and it was a cool car to drive. I love the shape and the pedals were ok to use after a whiile. Keeping in mind im 175cms. It had enough power to take on 1.8s and 2l versions of other cars.

I dragged my roomates 1.8 Astra, she was passenger and her beau was driving, and we kept right along side each other. Hers had a cat back exhaust and my pug was standard.

I originally wanted a second hand 2l GTi but my dad talked me into getting the new car instead. I have also driven the Clio Sport and almost bought one over the Astra but again, Dad talked me into the Astra as parts are more readily available especially in Central Qld.

I haven't driven a Turbo Astra or the Pug 180 so I can't comment.

One thing I can say is in 1 year I have not had a single issue with my Astra Sri 2.2, (touchwood) and in 1 year of owning my Pug I had it back to the dealer about 7 times for the same issue.

em
31st January 2005, 05:00 PM

hey brett it's each to their own buddy ;) your points are valid but how you look at astras is how they look at the 180's.

i think they are a nice looking car, yes i know it's not all aesthetics, but these comments remind me of every typical commodore driver thinking their car is the best :screwy:

Is there a hint of bias I sence ? I like the blue ones ;) how about you manda???
But most of all I like Shers GTI one it has cute vents ;)

Aus-SRi
31st January 2005, 05:04 PM
everyones entitled to their own opinion i guess, we like astras some others like other cars end of story :) so lets not try to bag the crap outta every car we "dont" own :P :mrgreen: :D :D :D :D

mr_astra_retired
31st January 2005, 05:06 PM
Fair comment there Brett .

I love the astra over the pug as well , good thread !!

The pug 180 is a beautiful car , looks tops too !

Brett
31st January 2005, 05:22 PM
Im not saying the cars ugly haha, i said i drove the car and was dissapointed with the performance, cabin size, comforts and quality, and this was before i bought the astra turbo.

imad4u
31st January 2005, 06:31 PM

i guess you didnt take it on a tight twisty road... as i was very impressed with the 180 gti handling... it handles like its on train tracks and your always in the meat of the engine due to the gearbox being well matched with the engine... i love that hard reving motor :twisted: i had a pug 180 over night and i did 600 kms in it and was impressed... apart from the power windows switches... drivers seating position... and the build quality is matched to a lada niva.... and for that i wouldnt hand over the cash....

SRIisME
31st January 2005, 06:34 PM
<<moderated by mr_astra>>

Take your useless info off the forum

Brett
31st January 2005, 06:35 PM
it handles well, no better then a stock gti mate, and has no more go, and the egine has no meat, go drive a clio sport then youll see meat for a N/A 2.0litre motor, the pug put me to sleep and my friend mark in the passenger seat was utterly unimpressed by its lack of speed

SRIisME
31st January 2005, 06:35 PM
<<moderated by mr_astra>>

Take it off the forum

GOZOFF
31st January 2005, 06:44 PM
Hmm... Ive taken one for a blast and I quite liked them esspecially around some nice twisty bits but yeh I agree with Wayne as far as the pedals are concerned plus who could say No to that hot Blue? :wink:

imad4u
31st January 2005, 07:12 PM
it handles well, no better then a stock gti mate, and has no more go, and the egine has no meat, go drive a clio sport then youll see meat for a N/A 2.0litre motor, the pug put me to sleep and my friend mark in the passenger seat was utterly unimpressed by its lack of speed

i just dont agree with your point of view on the 180 gti... but your vailded to your own view on the car.. and with that in mind... im not gonna say no more...

Brett
31st January 2005, 07:20 PM
i suppose it all depends on what your comparing it to then mate

Anonymous
1st February 2005, 10:08 AM
clio sports (cup) 8)

that is all :P

astro boy
1st February 2005, 10:43 AM
tell me about it, haha its like driving on your tip toes, and the seating position is like sitting on a high chair. the engine is piddlingly weak and feels like one of those sportivo corolla tomagotchis, the interior is completely kitch. Motor praised the power down in the car, well anything that slow should have no power down issues, to me it felt no quicker then a stock barina sri if that. The only thing it can do, is take tight corners at high speeds haha which can be fun, if you can fit in the car. I thought the astra turbo pedals were too close together when I took it for a test drive, but you get used to it and appreciate the less distance your foot has to travel to hit the breaks or accelerator :D . Luckily the astra t comes with seat height adjustment and steering column adjustment. The gti180 sounds a little under equipped. But i'm sure it's not as lifeless as Brett says it is. Since it was a test drive, were you allowed to push it to the high rpms? Cause if you didn't then I can see why you might think its slow. It does have 0-100 time simlar to the astra t.

Namus
1st February 2005, 04:10 PM
tell u what euro car i like; the Alfa Romeo 147 GTA...v6 i believe....saw a blue on go past my shop the other day......man it SOUUNDS AWESOME!!!!!!

Degen-Astra
1st February 2005, 04:20 PM
Namus...they are indeed an awesome lil thing. 6cyl is correct. I think the retail on one of those is $57-63k from memory.

Brett
1st February 2005, 07:41 PM
i hammered that pug as hard as i could, im not the only ones who were un impressed, autospeed mag really disliked it and could only get 8.5 secs to 100 in it. If you think the astra turbo pedals are close bro haha go drive the pug, youll kick all three at once :D . The astra can run under 7 secs stock to 100 and a 14.7 sec 1/4mile compared to a 7.76 and 15.6 second 1/4 for the pug, the pug handles alittle better round tight stuff, but all you need is a new set of springs to fix that. Have a read of the autospeed article it pretty much somes up what i felt about it so you dont just think im being biased
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_2192/article.html

Namus
1st February 2005, 07:44 PM
man i'd REALLY like to see this comparo:

Astra Turbo vs Alfa Romeo 147 GTA

if anyone finds one; pls let me know...

ecstasy
1st February 2005, 07:48 PM
nothing compares to a VWR32, now thats a good car, the rest are just toys :P

p.s: pugs are good but i like citroens best.

Brett
1st February 2005, 07:50 PM
yeh would be similar for performance perhaps the Gta might be slightly more tractable from its torquey V6, but a GTA costs 70 grand on the road compared to the astras high 30s on the road. Only prob with a GTA is who wants a 70 grand fwd when you can have 350zs, Audi S3s, rx-8s, evo 8s, monaros, s2000s etc.. which are all either RWD or AWD and are far more tunable and in most cases desirable. The golf R32 is a damn nice hot hatch, you sure hear the engine note, its unbelievable, and its awd to :D

InSaNe^Sna1L
1st February 2005, 07:51 PM
OOO damn straight.....Golf R32 is the car id want over an Astra Turbo

Namus
1st February 2005, 07:51 PM
the suspension set-up on those are VERY dodgy from all of the road test under which i have read (in Wheels, Motor, Fast fours, Speed)

but they are good car, AWD, like the look....

Brett
1st February 2005, 07:57 PM
A got a friend who has one now, has ohlins adjustable suspension on it, and just whacked a turbo in there haha, the thing is a flying trolley, its rolling responce puts anything to shame. Yeh the standard suspension is ok, not amazing, but awd still allow it corner quicker and powerdown out of corners harder then astra turbo and 147 GTAs

break
2nd February 2005, 12:03 AM
I'm sory... but given a choice of a brand new Astra Turbo (yes... i know they arn't made anymore... but for reference sake) and a brand new Clio Sport Cup.... I wouldn't even have to think.... i'd be driving out of there in the Clio Sport Cup.

As powerful as the Turbo is, and however much torque it has... that can never make up for the fact that the Clio could out-handle it with flat tyre and a car full of fat people.

Jass
2nd February 2005, 08:50 AM
The R32 are sexy cars such a nice finish inside, i would have bought over the astra T even they would have come out at the same time. I didn't like the pug when i drove it, just felt lacking in power, but the handeling was superior to the astra T. :mrgreen:

Namus
2nd February 2005, 10:01 AM
yeah the VWR32 with ohlins adjustable would be nice to drive

Brett
2nd February 2005, 04:57 PM
A clio sport was slower round wakefield park, the tightest damn raceway just about then a stock turbo, and that was with the with crappy stock suspension, fit some nice H&R suspension on there and youll be laughing too. Any track with longer straights and flowing corners and that clio will go bye bye very quickly. Can I Just ask, do you guys actually take car use, interior size, comforts, practicality and LOOKS at all into account, because the clio has short commings in those departments, and it looks like a fridge with wings, the fact that the designers of the front and rear of the car probably never communicated , shows why the front back and side profile of the car look like they belong on 3 different cars . Another thing, a clio sports powerdown is pretty ordinary, its always spinning its wheels out of corners, and it torque isnt even that plentiful. Obviously a little trolley is more nimble in tight corners then a bigger hatch back, but seriously who drives round u turns like an idiot. As for the torque of a turbo, compared to a current wrx, performance in the astra is far superior(unless you clutch bomb the wrx off the lights) particularily overtaking, dont believe me, read it for yourself here
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_1897/article.html

Namus
2nd February 2005, 05:01 PM
hahhhahaaahha, the comment about designers of front and rear never communicating.....read that about Chris Pringle; the head of the BMW designs department....

Brett
2nd February 2005, 05:09 PM
yeh haha he seemed to have that problem in his design team too

ultim8DTM5
2nd February 2005, 06:18 PM
hahhhahaaahha, the comment about designers of front and rear never communicating.....read that about Chris Pringle; the head of the BMW designs department....

Chris Bangle.
No longer head of design at BMW, moved to another area.

Ideal comparo?
VW GTi vs Astra Turbo vs Mini Cooper S vs Renault Clio Sport Cup 182 vs Peugeot 206 GTi 180.

All FWD. All sub $50k.

ultim8DTM5
2nd February 2005, 06:20 PM
yeh haha he seemed to have that problem in his design team too

Z4, 5 and 6-series were also his designs, I think they are awesome! You have to consider their main rival MB refuses to shed its cardigan wearing image.

Props to BMW for taking a risk, and it paid dividends. BMW sales have never been better globally.

Brett
2nd February 2005, 06:32 PM
yeh but most people think the 7 is odd, i think its quite kewl, the z4s front is definitely odd, the 6 is a sexy car, and the 5 is okay once you get use to it ..... look what they turning the new 3 into, they going to ruin that for sure.... please dont tell me you think a clio sport looks nice, because that would have to be its biggest weekness

Brett
2nd February 2005, 06:34 PM
bmw have always been known for making traditional handsome cars, that the majority find really appealing, and most of the new ones definitely arent hitting that mark, ive heard the new 5 series interior is damn average too.

ultim8DTM5
2nd February 2005, 07:11 PM
I never said I liked the Renault :P

BMW's shift in design (and promoting Bangle to lead designer prior to the E46's launch) was rather stoic and strategic. The goal was to lower the median purchasing age of first-time BMW owners.

Brand loyalty is a strong point, however BMW wanted to shift the median age to a generation earlier, to the late-20s early-30s buying demographic. This is shown to increase sales over a longer period of time, as premium car buyers tend to repeat purchase.

Were they successful? Hell yes!
It's all about the coin and how many units you can move- why do you think the 1-series and X5 was launched? :lol:

Namus
2nd February 2005, 07:54 PM
haha.......my bad....yeah bangle oops....

Brett
2nd February 2005, 08:00 PM
true but the only bmws who are honestly going to be in the price brackets of 20-30 year olds are 1 series and some 3 series, how many late 20 year olds can fork out 130grand for 4.4 x5 or 100grand for a 5

Brett
2nd February 2005, 08:01 PM
Unless ofcourse their car is also their main residence haha :D

break
2nd February 2005, 11:45 PM
Can I Just ask, do you guys actually take car use, interior size, comforts, practicality and LOOKS at all into account, because the clio has short commings in those departments, and it looks like a fridge with wings, the fact that the designers of the front and rear of the car probably never communicated , shows why the front back and side profile of the car look like they belong on 3 different cars .Yes, I don't really care what my car looks like, I don't stand outside my car all day drooling over it... I instead, sit in the drivers seat controlling the car to my excitement. I couldn't give a crap if I was driving a Datsun 120y, or a Ferrari 360 Modena.... all I care about is how I *feel* about driving the car, and how the car rewards me for pushing its limits. Thats what *real* sports cars are about.

Another thing, a clio sports powerdown is pretty ordinary, its always spinning its wheels out of corners, and it torque isnt even that plentiful. Obviously a little trolley is more nimble in tight corners then a bigger hatch back, but seriously who drives round u turns like an **moderated**.Have you driven one? It sounds to me someone who can't drive has been telling you stories. They are actually a VERY torquey engine for a 2L. There redline is a touch over 6,500rpm... much less than the usual hot hatch range of 7,500rpm+ (hell... most 2L turbo cars are happy well past 6,500rpm). As for the question on who drives round turns hard... well... I do for one. I've pushed the limits of every car I've owned, its part of the experience I enjoy owning and modifying my cars to perform better.

As for the torque of a turbo, compared to a current wrx, performance in the astra is far superior(unless you clutch bomb the wrx off the lights) particularily overtaking, dont believe me, read it for yourself here
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_1897/article.htmlFirst of all... your quoting autospeed.... so I would suggest you don't believe everything you read. The WRX, particularly the MY05 model, is by far a suprior performance car than the Astra. Ask anyone in the motoring industry, and they will laugh at you for making such a misinformed opinion.

Here is a comparison of the '03 Astra and WRX.

TORQUE:
Astra - 250nm @ 1900rpm
WRX - 300nm @ 3600rpm

POWER;
Astra - 147kw @ 5600rpm
WRX - 168kw @ 6000rpm

0-100km/h (according to redbook.com.au);
Astra - 7.4 seconds
WRX - 5.7 seconds

WEIGHT;
Astra - 1282kg
WRX - 1395kg

POWER-TO-WEIGHT:
Astra - 8.72kg/kw
WRX - 8.3kg/kw

I'm failing to see why you'd want a Astra Turbo over a WRX....

Now... for the Astra Vs Clio Sport comparison:

TORQUE:
Astra - 250nm @ 1900rpm
Clio - 200nm @ ????rpm

POWER;
Astra - 147kw @ 5600rpm
Clio - 124kW @ 6250rpm

0-100km/h (according to redbook.com.au);
Astra - 7.4 seconds
Clio - 7.3 seconds

WEIGHT;
Astra - 1282kg
Clio - 1035kg

POWER-TO-WEIGHT:
Astra - 8.72kg/kw
Clio - 8.34kg/kw

Again.... I'm still failing to see the reason to buy an Astra turbo over a WRX or even a Clio. If your after a performance car, I say buy a *real* performance car.... if you want some comfortable transport around town... then the Astra is for you.

ultim8DTM5
2nd February 2005, 11:58 PM
the car to my excitement. I couldn't give a crap if I was driving a Datsun 120y, or a Ferrari 360 Modena.... all I care about is how I *feel* about driving the car,

I dunno about you but driving a 360 Modena gives me a rather nice feeling in my pants :P

rjastra
3rd February 2005, 09:05 AM
VW GTi vs Astra Turbo vs Mini Cooper S vs Renault Clio Sport Cup 182 vs Peugeot 206 GTi 180.

Hmm, they have started to do such tests in UK... even with the power upgrade kit for the new AStra Sri Turbo (147kw) it is not competition to the other cars.

The new king hot hatch seems to be the Golf Gti or the Clio 182 Cup. Depends on what you want.

Brett
3rd February 2005, 10:31 AM
Hey bro so now you think a clio sport can run an astra turbo haha dream on bro, my stock turbo ran a 14.7 1/4 mile, did you not hear what i said about the tractability of an astra turbo compared to a wrx, a wrx has irritating levels of lag.
My best friend owns a clio sport buddy, ive driven many a time, and ive also lined it up next to my car, stock vs stock, and blew the doors off it. As i said the stock turbo can run a 14.7 , if you dont believe me look at mowhawks stock 1/4mile time, and ask silvestra how many times hes blown wrxs away. As you know its not purely about output, its about the delivery and the astras 1900-5600rpm flat bed of torque allow it to never be caught off guard. You know as well as anyone that the clio sport in motor ran 7.8 secs vs the turbos 7.2 secs. You seem to believe what youve read , otherwise why quote all those power figures, Ive driven an 05 Wrx, and it still doesnt have the real world performance of the astra, it still has lots of lag. As i said to you, the only way an 05 wrx can run under 6 secs to 100ks is using a nasty redline clutch bomb, without that its well up into the 7 seconds region. So its not 5.7 secs is it, its in the 7s, unless ofcourse you want to have no clutch after acouple weeks. The astra turbo kicked the clio off the bang for your buck podium in 2003 aswell. Sure i agreed the clio and wrx handle better , ill give you that. As for car manufacturers laughing at my astra turbo, I happen to have worked for a subaru dealer in sydney, ive taken my car there many a time, how else would I have test driven the 2005 wrx and sti, and they all believe the astra is just as good a straightline performer , and above 100 ks the astra is substantially stronger then a wrx, hence its 245km/h top speed. Ill get my friend who owns the clio to come on here and tell you personally how much slower his car is, maybe that will satisfy you? And just to show you that power isnt everything, a clubsport has a power to weight of what around 6? and it has problems taking a evo 8 with a power to weight in the 7s, so according to you, it should be the other way around, meanwhile the evo 8 makes mince meat of a clubsport. Its because of the way the power is delivered. For most people the way a car looks and its features are what sells it, so seeing one does use his car for other things besides driving like a hoon, that is why i would buy the turbo, its not ugly like a wrx or clio, it doesnt have kitch interiors, its built well, its quick and its practicle.

Brett
3rd February 2005, 10:39 AM
compare the clio having 160nm of torque at 2000rpm to 250nm of torque at 2000rpm for the astra, its not just about peak figures, and thats why so many guys with less powerful cars can whip the same car which has more topend, but doesnt have the same power delivery. Sure the clio has 200nm, but only at 5200rpm.

Brett
3rd February 2005, 10:52 AM
Rjasta, those othercars bar the clio cup, are all inferior handlers to the astra turbo, or are you talking about that new astra turbo, because ive heard that one isnt upto par and its considerably slower then its predecessor.

ultim8DTM5
3rd February 2005, 11:14 AM
Yep I think he's talking about the new one.
What about the GT/C?

Brett
3rd February 2005, 11:22 AM
GT/C is a concept though, they said it will have like 180kw, should be a ripper aslong as it still looks good enough, haha presuming you actually care what a car looks like :D

ultim8DTM5
3rd February 2005, 11:39 AM
Opel is now taking orders for what may well be the most exciting Astra ever: the new Astra GTC (Gran Turismo Compact) is available at a starting price in Germany of 15,200 euro, and delivery begins in March 2005.

No longer a concept :)

astro boy
3rd February 2005, 11:40 AM
I dont know where you get your figures from break, but I wouldn't believe everything the manufacturer claims. Especially subaru, who seem to like putting 0-100 time for all their cars to appeal to all the boy racers. To get near that 0-100 time of 5.7 the rex has to do an aggressive launch from about 5000+ rpm. Like brett said, I know a lot of wrx drivers who would never consider doing such a launch. They love their cars to much :D.
My car has had the powerchip remap done to it for just $800 dollar. Considering I bought my car for 33k, all up its $33800.
I took it along to a wrx dyno day and managed to get 120kw atw. And the stock MY00 rexes were getting around about the same amount. So thats about 160+ kw. And if you look at the dyno graphs you can see how much earlier in the revs the astra turbo gets its power/torque compared to a rex.
At calder I managed a quarter mile of 14.9 compared to my friends 350z Track with exhaust whos best time of the day was 14.4. I went to calder with the nissan club and all the 350z's including a twin turbo were getting times about 0.4 seconds slower than their usual times. We put it down to the head wind and the drizzle that made the track a little wet. I reckon on a good day the astra t could run a 14.5 time or better.
Its certainly no rex but I cant see how you can dismiss it purely on the figures that you got from redbook.com.au.

ultim8DTM5
3rd February 2005, 11:45 AM
Stock WRXs spin the rollers between 90-105kw. My uncle's stock MY01 spun at 100kw dead-on. This was deemed to be "high" for a stock car.
Both coming from one of Australia's largest APS dealers so the readings are consistant.

Brett
3rd February 2005, 11:51 AM
Stock WRXs spin the rollers between 90-105kw. My uncle's stock MY01 spun at 100kw dead-on. This was deemed to be "high" for a stock car.

My Astra turbo stock was dynoed at 107kw at the wheels. They claim the engine power is 147kw, but thats in EEC form not DIN form like subaru or ford and others use. In DIN form the power would be between 153-155kw, sure its not much more then 147 but it is a difference. Thus there really much isnt much between a rex stock if its 90-105kw stock and an astra turbo. And if an astra turbo was bought out in awd it would be the greatest idea opel ever generated

ultim8DTM5
3rd February 2005, 11:54 AM
Theres EEC/SAE/DIN...thats the first useful post I've seen regarding dynos!

astro boy
3rd February 2005, 11:54 AM
It all depends on the dyno and the day you go on. That's why I went with the wrx club to one of their dyno days so that I have something to compare with.

Brett
3rd February 2005, 11:58 AM
Let me explain how you have to launch a rex correctly. Rev the engine up several times, then climb the revs up to 6000rpm and side step the clutch abruptly, if you do it too slow, youll do more damage to the car and it will bog down, doing it abruptly actually is the most damageless way of doing it. by launching it like this, it allows the awd to break traction momentarily, shooting it off the line to about 40ks very quickly, by loosing alittle traction it keeps the engine spinning high and on boost, and by the time you hit 30-40ks and the engine is in its 4000rpm plus happy turbo zone haha and it pulls strongly from there. If you cant do this, you can kiss your low 14 1/4 miles goodbye and say hi to a 15 second 1/4 haha. So unless you wrx lovers and owners like doing that to your car, i suggest you start modifying them quickly because real world performance aint that spectacular in them :D

astro boy
3rd February 2005, 12:18 PM
I just went to the subaru and mistubish australia websites. Subaru have 0-100 times of 5.7 for standard rex and 5.5 for the STI, while Mitsubishi have a 0-100 time of 6.1 for the evo 8???

Brett
3rd February 2005, 12:25 PM
haha dont worry, many companies are conservative with their claims, an evo 8 is good for 0-100 of around 5.3- 5.4 secs stock, its alittle quicker then a stock STI.
Id take an evo over STI any day of the week

Brett
3rd February 2005, 12:31 PM
Astro Boy, its funny you say you got bad times in your wrx on a damp track, and you think you will actually get better times in the dry, not so, maybe the head wind is a factor but not the wet in a wrx. The wetness actually helps the rex break traction easier and thus less viscous clutch bombing is need to keep it on the boil, so my friends always like to test their rexies out on wet days. Thought you should keep that inmind, the wetter the day the easier it is to launch a rexie

astro boy
3rd February 2005, 12:43 PM
Astro Boy, its funny you say you got bad times in your wrx on a damp track, and you think you will actually get better times in the dry, not so, maybe the head wind is a factor but not the wet in a wrx. The wetness actually helps the rex break traction easier and thus less viscous clutch bombing is need to keep it on the boil, so my friends always like to test their rexies out on wet days. Thought you should keep that inmind, the wetter the day the easier it is to launch a rexie
I dont drive a rex, I drive an astra turbo. I'm sure a wrx or any awd would have got better times on a wet track compared to most other cars. I was just saying that if the track was dry and their was no head wind, I could have managed a time of about 14.5 instead of 14.9.

Brett
3rd February 2005, 12:53 PM
So a astra turbo stock can do a 14.7, not too bad , but astro boy, you know that a wrxs most dominant gear is 1st, compared to a 200sx or astra turbo from 100 or 120 onwards the wrx falls off the pace dramatically, although not as badly in the 2003 to 2005 models, but the bug eyed versions took over 18 secs to hit 160km/h

astro boy
3rd February 2005, 01:15 PM
So a astra turbo stock can do a 14.7, not too bad , but astro boy, you know that a wrxs most dominant gear is 1st, compared to a 200sx or astra turbo from 100 or 120 onwards the wrx falls off the pace dramatically, although not as badly in the 2003 to 2005 models, but the bug eyed versions took over 18 secs to hit 160km/h
had no idea. I've dragged a couple of rexs (MY00 and MY03) belonging to a couple of guys I know. Their second gear is pretty strong too, but we never got to drag over 130km/h because the road we use (in a deserted industrial area) isn't long enough :roll:

Namus
3rd February 2005, 04:39 PM
SO MUCH WRITING!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

EGG80X
3rd February 2005, 10:11 PM
everyones entitled to their own opinion i guess, we like astras some others like other cars end of story :) so lets not try to bag the crap outta every car we "dont" own :P :mrgreen: :D :D :D :D

good, now i have my say...... echo are the best hahahaha :shock:

Namus
4th February 2005, 08:17 AM
lmao gan-san

break
4th February 2005, 12:23 PM
Look, those 0-100km are questionable... I agree.. thats why I quoted my source....

What is important is power to weight.... where the Astra falls behind both the Clio and the WRX. And put all three on a racetrack and I can guarantee you'd be wanting to drive the Clio or the WRX more so than the Astra.

break
4th February 2005, 12:26 PM
My car has had the powerchip remap done to it for just $800 dollar. Considering I bought my car for 33k, all up its $33800.
I took it along to a wrx dyno day and managed to get 120kw atw. And the stock MY00 rexes were getting around about the same amount. So thats about 160+ kw. And if you look at the dyno graphs you can see how much earlier in the revs the astra turbo gets its power/torque compared to a rex.You have to remember there is ALOT more drivetrain power loss in a WRX as well thanks to the AWD.

120 at wheels kw of AWD and 120 at wheels kw of FWD doesn't at all mean both cars have the same power at the flywheel.

Namus
4th February 2005, 03:44 PM
man who cares? TO EACH IS THEIR OWN i say....conversation over

rjastra
4th February 2005, 03:45 PM
Rjasta, those othercars bar the clio cup, are all inferior handlers to the astra turbo

giggle.... you reckon that the Model G Astra SRi Turbo handles better than the new Golf Gti Turbo?

Brett
4th February 2005, 04:25 PM
yep for sure, its a golf, handles like a box

Brett
4th February 2005, 04:30 PM
haha i think ive honestly had enough of arguing, i shouldnt have started this post, its just going to cause arguements. clios run slower times at wakefield park, and its a tight course, so if it were at a more flowing course with longer straights then it would be a joke. As for power to weight, doesnt matter, look at a toyota corrolla sportivo, its power to weight it 8, thats better then a clio , wrx , and astra turbo, and its slower then all of them by a long way, a wrx is as quick as a V8 and v8s power to weight are in the 6s, so once again, its got to do with the power spread, power delivery and torque throughout the rev range. Remember clio is making 155nm of torque at 2000rpm, astra turbo makes 250nm from 1950-5600rpm.

Namus
4th February 2005, 06:44 PM
numbers numbers numbers

break
4th February 2005, 09:03 PM
On the last page you said the clio makes 160nm... this page you say 155nm... when in actual fact... the standard Clio Sport makes 200nm.... and the Clio Sport Cup makes even more than that!

Regardless... you obviously have never driven anything but a Astra Turbo (if you've actually drive on... not sat in a friends/parents).... and your trying to make up for the fact you purchased an inferior car.

Here.... take a tissue. :roll:

EGG80X
4th February 2005, 10:46 PM
Look, those 0-100km are questionable... I agree.. thats why I quoted my source....

What is important is power to weight.... where the Astra falls behind both the Clio and the WRX. And put all three on a racetrack and I can guarantee you'd be wanting to drive the Clio or the WRX more so than the Astra.

atlast a guy who knows what he is talking about

but still astra turbo is still a quick front drive car.....!

macquered
5th February 2005, 10:24 AM
On the last page you said the clio makes 160nm... this page you say 155nm... when in actual fact... the standard Clio Sport makes 200nm.... and the Clio Sport Cup makes even more than that!

It's pretty clear that he meant at low revs. Also, the Cup has exactly the same motor and specs as the normal Clio Sport.

rjastra
5th February 2005, 03:22 PM
you obviously have never driven anything but a Astra Turbo

I drove a Astra Turbo when they were released (i own an Astra SRi with konis/precedas) and I couldn't understand all the fuss. It certainly doesn't have the "fun" factor of a 306 Gti-6, let alone a Clio Sport.

It will never be held up as an example of a definitive "hot hatch" unfortunately. It's too blunt an intrument.

euro_stylin
5th February 2005, 03:48 PM
pfft! GO THE GTi's :mrgreen:

though a few months ago i would of being saying go the astras! :roll: what can i say...yes, ill admit im bist coz i own one!!

though i must admit the close pedals do take a bit of getting use to, lucky for me i dont wear chunky shoes :)

and remember people if we all had the same opinion then the world would be a pretty boring place!! everyone is intiled to their own opinion where you like it or not :!:

Namus
5th February 2005, 07:27 PM
yeah agree with euro there on that last point.....every1 just get over it.....u like this; i like that...that's how it is and no matter wat sort of stats or quotes or wateva ne1 posts up, it won't change that opinion.....which is why i don't understand why ppl are taking it so obviously seriously.....take it easy!! :mrgreen:

Brett
5th February 2005, 08:52 PM
oi break, i said the Clio sport is making 160nm at 2000rpm not at peak, compare that at 2000rpm with the astra turbo which is making 250nm. So the clio needs 5200rpm to produce peak torque. I think you guys do too much reading and not enough driving. My astra turbo does 12.9 1/4 miles so if your clio sport or 306Gti( which might i add is an absolute slug) can match the fun factor of that id be suprised. the clio sport is slower on most tracks then a astra turbo. Ive driven some astra turbos which in stock form felt much livelier then others, but an astra turbos tunable ability with out spending much money is much higher then that of a clio

Brett
5th February 2005, 09:07 PM
Mr Gan-San, if power to weight makes so much of a difference, then why is a toyota sportivo slower then a wrx, a clio sport, and a astra turbo? when its power to weight is better? power delivery , and the cars power band is important, what use is high power if its only for 1000rpm in the rev range. When ur driving at 2000rpm in a wrx and you flatten it, nothing happens, it needs 4000rpm to get going, ill be gone by then, and if you think a wrx will catch me mate, your dreaming. The clio is slower around wakefield park raceway, one of the tighest tracks in australia, so what do you think would happen if you put it on say eastern creek ? the turbo would kill it. Clio sports are nothing to write home about,. As i said i test drove a 206gti 180, and it was dead damn slow, well in the 8s for 0-100ks, its not a car you can live with, its cramped, crappy driving position , and the pedals are damn close.

Brett
5th February 2005, 09:19 PM
As for there not being much between an sri and a turbo, haha my turbo stock ran a 14.7 1/4mile , according to motor mag, the stock astra sri goes 17.1 secs for 1/4 mile. thats nearly 2.5 secs different. Some echo sportivos and barinas would give that a good run haha

Namus
6th February 2005, 10:08 AM
don't even think they made echo sportivos...only corolla sportivos mate...with 130kW....pretty sure no echo's tho

break
6th February 2005, 11:31 AM

It's pretty clear that he meant at low revs. Also, the Cup has exactly the same motor and specs as the normal Clio Sport.Actually... no.... the cup makes 133kw thanks to a revised exhaust system (probably more torque too... but i'm not sure how much more).

macquered
6th February 2005, 03:10 PM

It's pretty clear that he meant at low revs. Also, the Cup has exactly the same motor and specs as the normal Clio Sport.Actually... no.... the cup makes 133kw thanks to a revised exhaust system (probably more torque too... but i'm not sure how much more).

....which is also exactly the same motor used in the standard Cliosport, which is what I was trying to tell you in the first place :)

Jass
6th February 2005, 05:31 PM
This is some sort of heated argument hahahahaha

:mrgreen:

Astra's T's are good for there money. In regards to other cars, i wouldn't be seen dead driving a clio sport, corrolla or echo, sorry but to me they look lile jelly beans on wheels. rexes have earned there place, the new scooby 05 is a great car, took it for a drive and it handle awsome, but every tom dick and harry has one.

I guess each to there own, i would much rather a new evo over any of the cars you have mentioned!

Just my two cents

shaohaok
6th February 2005, 06:09 PM
Great, Brett, you bought an Astra TURBO. Well DONE!! good on you! u made the best choice ever. it really is the quickest car u can get for that kind of money. i applaud u. we should ALL applaud you. WHOPEEEE!!!!

i totally agree with everything u said, too. spot on.

are u happy now?

and in the meantime show some respect to other ppl's opinions and choices. some ppl prefer forced induction, some ppl prefer revs, some ppl prefer displacement, some prefer 3 doors, some prefer 5 doors, some prefer wagons. just because everyone else who doesn't see things your way, gets labelled as crap.

Namus
6th February 2005, 09:15 PM
yeah wouldn't mind an EVO VIII; but thing with those is that, visually, there is nothing to distinguish it from the stock lancers etc....the next evo will be made to order like rexes...

break
6th February 2005, 11:04 PM
My astra turbo does 12.9 1/4 milesTo verify this please post your 60ft and 1/2 track times and your terminal speed as per the time sheet you claim to have. Also, would you care to share the bulk of your modifications that have given you this 12.9 1/4 mile time.

Dyno figures as well if you've got them.

Namus
6th February 2005, 11:06 PM
ok....i'd be expecting a pretty quick post to put u down here trev.....no-1 goes around claiming 12.9 quarters in an astra t without time sheets to bak it up.....man this is getting TOO SERIOUS

Brett
7th February 2005, 12:40 AM
If you guys are so adverse to astra turbos, why are did you guys join an opel site? you all seem to love clios, and hondas and other forms of cars. Its like the opel haters club!

Brett
7th February 2005, 12:43 AM
Ive obviously caused too much unneeded arguement because of this post, and im sorry for that, and am now not going to stir it anymore.

Aus-SRi
7th February 2005, 10:49 PM
Just to clarifry.. This post has been locked due to it going WAYYYYYYY off topic and also into a slug fest between users.

And We'll Leave it at That... CASE CLOSED :!: