PDA

View Full Version : VPN Providers

SIMid
28th April 2015, 12:56 PM
Looking into getting this setup at home.

Any recommendations?

Also looked into Seedboxes, but not really worth the headache if the VPN is tight and secure.

poita
28th April 2015, 04:08 PM
Privateinternetaccess.com

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

DRMAT
28th April 2015, 04:33 PM
^^ What he said, i've been researching as well and keep coming back to them. Have a couple of friends already on them and they've been very happy as well.

poita
28th April 2015, 04:48 PM
hazrd got me onto them. Value for money and service is fantastic. I had issues with installation as I'm on Windows 10. They went beyond what I've had anyone do with an unreleased unsupported OS

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

sooty
28th April 2015, 09:33 PM
I use the same with no issues

SIMid
29th April 2015, 08:58 AM
Cool, I'll check them out. :)

hazrd
29th April 2015, 10:27 AM
It works out about $52AU for one year of access, or about $9AU a month. Im still on monthly at the moment but will switch to yearly sometime soon

TorrentFreak review a huge list of providers once a year, and they ask them very specific questions which helps to make your decision easier.

My strict requirements were US tunnels, no torrent blocks, 0 logs kept, and the ability to pay via anonymous means to make it complete anonymity (I pay cash for a single use visa debit card from the supermarket, and pay for it that way), hence PIA being the winner for me.

Here is the 2015 review
https://torrentfreak.com/anonymous-vpn-service-provider-review-2015-150228/

DRMAT
29th April 2015, 01:38 PM
Geez paranoid much paying anon as well lol Where do you buy your alfoil hats from? :D

JohnBu
29th April 2015, 01:57 PM
Never used a VPN before, it may be a good idea in light of recent events.

Can I use a VPN software say on my work PC and therefore change the IP address. Will it disconnect me from say the NAS?

hazrd
29th April 2015, 05:35 PM
Geez paranoid much paying anon as well lol Where do you buy your alfoil hats from? :D

That's classified :lol: but seriously, it leaves no trace that you even have an account because theres no actual billing details. no extra effort for extra privacy ;)

Never used a VPN before, it may be a good idea in light of recent events.

Can I use a VPN software say on my work PC and therefore change the IP address. Will it disconnect me from say the NAS?

Wont affect your local network at all. It only changes the WAN IP, your LAN IP will remain the same so you will still be able to communicate with all other devices on your network

JohnBu
11th May 2015, 01:15 PM
I just joined ibVPN ..

ibVPN Total Plan: 4-Yr VPN Subscription for USD$54

Good enough for Torrents, under $20 a year.

Paid with a non-stolen credit card too! haha

hazrd
11th May 2015, 02:32 PM
ibVPN looks to keep some logs for up to 10 days which can make it easier to find your real IP address. Also they are bound by the EU data retention laws which aren't as solid as the US data retention laws. Also being euro, there are limited US connections which makes it difficult to do things like stream US content due to geo blocking.

Food for thought.

JohnBu
11th May 2015, 04:16 PM
Paid for already :)

Doesn't seem to slow down torrents which was my main concern.

From a review

"ibVPN’s promises that it keeps no logs of users’ activity, something it can do because it is based in Romania where the EU Data Retention Directive is not in force. We should note however that some connection logs are kept for 10 days, namely,

Time, date and location VPN connection was made.
Duration of the VPN connection.
Bandwidth used during the connection

While there is a log, it doesn't log what sites/content the user is downloading.

It was too cheap not to purchase.

SIMid
2nd June 2015, 09:57 AM
Anyone having issues with VUZE using PIA?

poita
2nd June 2015, 10:22 AM
I use utorrent and dont have any issues

SIMid
2nd June 2015, 03:34 PM
I use utorrent and dont have any issues

It's weird. It says that I need to assign a Bind to an Interface and when I do, instead of connecting to 800,000+, it drops down to like 20-45. It detects that I am using a VPN and says that I may lose packets of data because of this. I just ignore it and watch to see if I get disconnected from the VPN and it doesn't. I also check my whatyismyisp to make sure. Still downloads with no issues.

I guess I need to make the jump to be safe?