PDA

View Full Version : **Forum For Sale**

poita
6th April 2015, 11:51 PM
After much consideration and many chats over the last few months Adam and I have decided that we will be moving onto new projects.

So the decision is we will be selling both forums, OpelAus and xr5ownersclub.

It's not something that we came up with overnight, nor a decision we have made in haste.

Details as follows.

Please feel free to contact either of us if you are genuinely interested.

The OpelAus Forum and all associated entities are up for grabs.

This includes the following;

opelaus.com domain
opealus.com.au domain (which redirects to main site)
OpelAus Facebook page
OpelAus twitter account
A bunch of OpelAus stickers to be sold to members
xr5ownersclub.com domain
stownerslub.com.au domain
XR5/ST Owners Club Facebook page.
XR5 Owners Club online store.

The sites are currently generating revenue via Matespace. This includes a banner top and bottom of page, more can be added if needed. This revenue covers all costs of both forums with a little profit.
Whoever takes them over will have no out of pocket running costs, this is covered by the revenue generated.

Both forums are hosted with VentraIP, who have been a rock solid server host for us. Downtime is almost non existant.

The OpelAus account is setup on a business plan, so allows for large amounts of traffic and data storage on the server side of things.

poita
18th July 2015, 09:22 AM
Have started a new project which is taking up my time that I used for the forum.

Any expressions of interest considered.

For those people who have already contacted me please get in contact again.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

poita
12th October 2015, 10:19 AM
The XR5 forum has now been shut down.

OpelAus hosting has been paid up until 30-09-2016. After this the hosting will NOT be renewed unless someone wants to take it on board.

So consider this the last 12 months of OpelAus.

Elliot_O
12th October 2015, 09:21 PM
Oh snap. That's bad news

Gsi_Bryce
12th October 2015, 10:56 PM
Wow this is bad news [emoji17]

shifty
13th October 2015, 12:49 AM
That ain't good[emoji31]

Sent from my Boost View 5.0 using Tapatalk

Jen
13th October 2015, 07:21 AM
You guys have an opportunity to save it though ;)

chris_r
13th October 2015, 09:02 PM
Yeah, it's a bit hard to not only find an Opel nut, but one that would be well versed in how a forum runs and then one who wants to buy it. The sale would be made harder with the brief stint of Opels being sold here before Holden threw it's hands up in the air and said "we can't make cars anymore" then want to sell Opels under their own brand again. Ideally, had Opel still been here in Oz, there'd probably be a few more members that would potentially be interested in purchasing the forum. Now, we won't see that kind of interest for a few more years when Holden extract their digits and get more Opel models on the local market. And at that point, it will probably be too late for the forum.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer forums over the current trend of Facehookering and Instacrapping, but as a more mature member, I am a part the older generation here. Sure, Tapatalk has given the forums a few more years, but the fact it's such a horrible app hasn't done much to help the decline of forums in general.

Sincerely though, I would like to see someone take on this wonderful forum and maybe build on the efforts of poita and hazrd. It's been a significant part of my life for the past few years and whilst I'd be sad to see it go, but the guys also need to live their own lives too, so I can fully understand their decision.

JohnBu
13th October 2015, 10:39 PM
All the best guys, a bit of a shame, but life must go on.

Not sure how poita finds the time with a family, I've got no spare time anymore.

Nick965
15th October 2015, 10:48 PM
What are the running costs? Could members crowd fund it?

poita
15th October 2015, 11:44 PM
Cost is irrelevant. The advertising for the forum pays for itself.

Neither Adam or I have the time for it anymore.

New chapters in our lives and time to move on.

ZomBie
18th October 2015, 08:05 PM
Shame to hear guys. Understand forums take a lot of time to manage. With families, it just becomes impossible.

I agree with chris_r, in that forums are much better than the usual farcebook groups, which are more suited to kids with ADD who forget what was even posted 2-days ago!

When our Proton forum wrapped up, we lost an endless amount of info, ideas, and how-to's.

ZomBie
18th October 2015, 08:07 PM
poita , as a guide for anyone considering taking on the forums, how much time would you spend each week/month managing the forums?

poita
18th October 2015, 08:46 PM
Usually it's no more than an hour a night. This involves moderating new user sign ups, approving For Sale posts, approving image attachments, reading emails

When events are on, ie WTAC and someone is there or possible to watch we tweet/facebook updates.

When the forum needs to be updated/backed up it can jump up to 3-4 hours. Most of this time is changing files and upload/download (I only have shitty 5mb internet)

poita
17th December 2015, 11:41 AM
9 Months 2 weeks until forum is shut down.......

Sent from my Nintendo 64

dutchy
27th January 2016, 02:09 PM
only about 8 more months or so before shut-down. Would be a real pity is no-one picks this up. :sadpanda: I don't have the skills (nor the time) to do it but surely someone on here does and would like to continue the forum.

adam_92
27th January 2016, 09:52 PM
Id love to do it, but dont have the computer skills to be able to run it the way pete and adam do. Iv got time but thays about it.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

ZomBie
28th January 2016, 05:10 PM
I've probably got enough experience, but with family commitments lack the time.......

So will put an offer out there...... If someone takes on the ownership & running, I'm happy to give 2-3hrs a week to help. It would generally be late night, after kids are fed & bed.

poita
9th February 2016, 10:55 AM
The deadline has been brought forward to the end of financial year.

This now means JUNE 30TH is it.

One of my other projects has grown a little quicker than anticipated and I have zero time to spend on the forum now. So roughly 4 ½ months.

For all those umming and arrring about it, if you are serious now is the time to act.

I have limited internet access until the end of the month, fuk you NBN.

So email me directly poita18 at gmail dot com.
Subject line, OpelAus Forum Sale Enquiry.

Cheers

Sent from my Nintendo 64

guy 27
9th February 2016, 08:21 PM
Wedding present?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Mycal
13th February 2016, 04:23 PM
Might be a silly question Pete, but is the forum sale advertised on other forums like Astra Owners Club or similar? If you have limited interest from other members on this forum, would you/could consider selling it to another forum group?

poita
24th February 2016, 11:48 PM
127 days, 3048 hours.

poita
27th February 2016, 11:43 AM
Hey everyone.

The forum doesn't look like it will be moving on to new owners anytime soon.

So since I just don't have the time for it anymore I will be winding up the forum in the next week or so.

Sorry

poita
27th February 2016, 11:54 AM
All parties who have enquired about the forum have been notified.

Balls in your court now guys.

dutchy
27th February 2016, 02:59 PM
Sad...., really sad if no-one picks this up to continue. I might have to trade the Astra for a Chery or a Great Wall and become a member of those forums :( sad day

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Theo
27th February 2016, 03:03 PM
Due to house renovations and other financial commitments, I'm unable to fund the full amount.
However I'm happy to chip in with a few as a joint venture.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

dutchy
27th February 2016, 03:16 PM
Money might not be such an issue as could consider member donations too to cover any costs perhaps. Its more a commitment of time i guess as well as some technical knowledge (both of which this old man certainly doesn't have)

Theo
27th February 2016, 03:26 PM
If the love is shared to run the forum, I don't think the commitment to monitor and run wouldn't be such a burden.

The member donation sounds like a good idea.

poita
27th February 2016, 03:39 PM
Money isn't the issue. It's time.

If I could buy an extra 30 hours a day it wouldn't be a problem.

Sent from my Nintendo 64

dutchy
27th February 2016, 04:17 PM
Theo, ill share the funding burden with yourself and maybe other members (hell, i might even fund it completely)! but i am just not technical enough to run it.

poita
27th February 2016, 04:18 PM
Just some more info for anyone interested

The valuation given by these pages varies a lot, but this gives you an idea

http://www.siteprice.org/website-worth/opelaus.com

http://www.urlrate.com/process.php?domain=www.opelaus.com

http://webvaluecheck.com/opelaus.com

https://www.yourwebsitevalue.com/site/opelaus.com.html

http://www.worthofweb.com/website-value/opelaus.com/

dutchy
27th February 2016, 04:27 PM
As said, money not an issue but someone that is able to operate the forum

Theo
27th February 2016, 04:29 PM
dutchy...running it is not a problem.
poita... Can you provide me with a number figure of active members on this forum.

dutchy
27th February 2016, 04:33 PM
Theo, pls talk in private with poita 😀

poita
27th February 2016, 04:51 PM
poita... Can you provide me with a number figure of active members on this forum.

Hey Theo

Some info and stats

Total users: 9581
Total active: 433

The figures look terrible, but these give a better representation

November 2015

December 2015

January 2016

poita
27th February 2016, 04:54 PM
WOW Worst pics to upload ever!
Theo check your emails

Theo
27th February 2016, 05:22 PM
WOW Worst pics to upload ever!
Theo check your emails
poita...no email as of yet

poita
27th February 2016, 05:23 PM
poita...no email as of yet

bwuahahahah Just realised why. Sent them to the wrong Theo.

Gimme a sec mate

poita
27th February 2016, 05:26 PM
On it's way now

Theo
27th February 2016, 05:31 PM
ok thanks...will review.