PDA

View Full Version : GoPro alternatives

chris_r
31st March 2015, 12:44 PM
Pretty much what the topic suggests. I am looking for an alternative action camera to a GoPro, simply because I don't believe that I'll use it enough to justify its Apple-esque price tag. So, does anyone know of any decent alternatives, apart from the Chinese shite you're bound to find on the Bay of Fleas?

adam_92
31st March 2015, 02:24 PM
Theres a few copies but they're all chinese made crap and will break before you even use them. Also filming quality is rubbish!

mickos
31st March 2015, 02:28 PM
Have a look at second hand go pros I still have a hero that's the first one they made it runs like a gem still

delemonte
31st March 2015, 04:28 PM
I know haters gonna hate.... but the SJ4000 is a great camera which can be had brand new for $60

The best part is that 90% of the genuine (and fake) accessories for a real GoPro fit it (but note that the batteries aren't interchangeable because the polarity is swapped)!!!

The worst part about it would have to be that the 60FPS is actually 30FPS with frame duplication which I admit is dodgy... but the actual footage is very respectable for a $60 camera

StrickenAza34
31st March 2015, 04:57 PM
For a car cam? Mobius Actioncam under $100, 1080p, all the good stuff. I have 2, 1 for each car. Have a look on YouTube, I myself have posted videos, Techmoan did a review of it, is great.

chris_r
31st March 2015, 11:03 PM
Have a look at second hand go pros I still have a hero that's the first one they made it runs like a gem still

Well, I might look into that. Had a look on Scumtree earlier and noticed all the second hand ones I can find are Hero3s and cost just as much as a Hero4.

I know haters gonna hate.... but the SJ4000 is a great camera which can be had brand new for $60

The best part is that 90% of the genuine (and fake) accessories for a real GoPro fit it (but note that the batteries aren't interchangeable because the polarity is swapped)!!!

The worst part about it would have to be that the 60FPS is actually 30FPS with frame duplication which I admit is dodgy... but the actual footage is very respectable for a $60 camera

It's a bit iffy, but it seems the SJCAMs get mixed reviews, but as you said, the fact most GoPro accessories will work with it is a bonus. At the end of the day, it'll be me spending money on an unknown brand here. Then again, at $60 you'd be right, it'd be hard to go wrong for the cash in what seems to be an overpriced market. Interesting to note, the SJCAM SJ5000 series are packing Panasonic chipsets too, so may be not as dodgy a quality as once thought.

For a car cam? Mobius Actioncam under $100, 1080p, all the good stuff. I have 2, 1 for each car. Have a look on YouTube, I myself have posted videos, Techmoan did a review of it, is great.

Yes, but I'd be looking for something that seems a little more durable. Just looked a little flimsy for my liking.

adam_92
1st April 2015, 12:14 AM
If youre looking for a dash cam, look at the navman range, the gopros/action cameras arent designed to be used as a dedicated all day dash cam, we had several back that had basically caught on fire from being plugged into a charger all day and overheating.

chris_r
1st April 2015, 12:56 AM
Yeah, mainly looking for an occasional use cam for the Corsa. Although, I should actually get around to getting a dashcam for the van too.

chris_r
10th April 2015, 11:26 PM
Just an update on this, I ended up going with a Contour ROAM 2 camera. Figured for $175, it's a fairly solid unit (waterproof to 1m out of the box, even more if you buy the case for it), records 1080p @ 30 fps, 720p @ 60 fps and is fairly easy to operate. From what I've seen with this is that the video look decent enough for this camera.

I'm waiting on a magnet to turn up, for which I can put a 1/4" screw in and fit the camera to it. Or I can stick the profile mount on to the magnet itself. The idea is, that I want the camera to record from the outside of the car when I get the Corsa on the road (with any luck, that should be in the next week or two), because I can.

chris27
10th February 2016, 09:55 PM
I've used a Sony action cam before but the quality is junk compared to a GoPro, despite the nice demo video they show you in the display stand at the shop (which was probably shot with a GoPro! lol) Plus they're priced as much as a GoPro so my post about this is pretty pointless :P