PDA

View Full Version : Hello, just like to introduce myself

gongon
25th March 2015, 05:55 PM
Hello

I am a retired engineer recently emigrated to Oz after 5 years trying to sell house in UK.

I enjoy looking after my family's vehicles and the latest car in the family is my grandaughter's 2009 Holden Barina.

I'm hoping I can find help on this forum and, hopefully provide some help when I get to know the car.

Also a forum member of Land Rover and Nissan x Trail and found them very useful.

StrickenAza34
25th March 2015, 07:45 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, there is a wealth of information easily searchable on here, and anything I haven't found, I always get a response quite quickly.

chris_r
25th March 2015, 07:53 PM
Hi and welcome,

First of all, as you may be aware the TK series Barina isn't really an Opel as such (it's really a Daewoo underneath), but the engine in it is a derivative of the Corsa B Sport's X16XE engine from back in the mid-90's. I myself have a little experience with the way these engines differ from their Opel counterparts, with having had a bit to do with the Opel small blocks over the last few years and family members who own a TK Barina and JF Viva (Both Daewoo manufactured, both with Opel-derived engines).

Some of us may be able to help you, but for more information, best stuff for these cars is probably found on US sites where the car was sold as the Chevrolet Aveo (and later model as the Sonic). I know benzino has had a bit of experience with the older generations of these cars, but I am not sure what he's like with the later models.

gongon
25th March 2015, 08:22 PM
Thank you guys, actually didn't know it was a Daewoo, thought it was same as a UK Corsa!

I'm an "old school" engineer who was brought up on cars that could be fixed with a knife and fork and a bit of string!

My Nissan X Trail seems to be a computer on wheels!

Grandaughter's Barina has a central locking issue. Doors unlock but immediately lock again unless I sit in the car and pull up the driver's door button and hold it.

When I try to unlock the door, the driver's side door lock makes a noise which sounds all the world like a pulse of compressed air (whether actuated with the key, from inside or remotely)! (I know it can't be compressed air :-)

Tried some of the "generic" fixes (ignition on, press buttons for 4 secs etc.)

Grandaughter thinks Grandad can fix anything so street cred is on the line!

Any thoughts?

adam_92
25th March 2015, 08:29 PM
Welcome to opelaus mate. Where in the uk you from, and where in aus are you living now?

gongon
25th March 2015, 09:03 PM
Welcome to opelaus mate. Where in the uk you from, and where in aus are you living now?

Hi mate, from Skelmersdale, Lancashire (born in Liverpool)

Now in Ellenbrook, Perth WA.

dutchy
25th March 2015, 09:24 PM
Welcome to the forum. Re your locking problem, its not the case that the button sticks is it ? I've had the same problem, not with a car but with my garage door, press the button it opens the door but as soon as it starts to move, it closed the door again. Found out that button was sticking inside remote. Cleaned it with electrical cleaner and problem solved.