PDA

View Full Version : SYDNEY: Volunteer for car inspection (EASTWOOD)

balker
17th March 2015, 07:33 AM
Looking a getting a updated Astra for my wife. We live on the Gold Coast, Qld, and want to fly down to Sydney as prices are more reasonable.

Would anyone be willing to inspect a white ah 2.2 for sale in Eastwood? It's tomtoms's old car, I have included his thread below. Hoping to go down this weekend... Please let me know if you can inspect before then or over the weekend. Interested in the interior condition, body, engine leaks and overall impression of it running. Really after clean and tidy example, in great condition. PM me your phone and I'll give you a call....

Alex

http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showthread.php?17930-Tomcar-AH-SRI-2-2-Thread/page3&highlight=white+sri+astra

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Holden-Astra-2008/SSE-AD-3044028

balker
17th March 2015, 08:55 AM
Links work now sorry...

hazrd
17th March 2015, 12:19 PM
Only 3 I can think of off the top of my head is Sammich Shadow110 and mondo but not sure how close they are to ezwoo. If I was up visiting i would have only been around the corner but alas you'll have to see if one of these guys (or someone else) can help

You could always get a mechanical inspection done if you are really keen (I dont suggest NRMA)

Shadow110
17th March 2015, 12:24 PM
I'm not too far away.

daaaaavek
17th March 2015, 12:54 PM
I live in the suburb next to Eastwood :)

balker
17th March 2015, 03:14 PM
Great. Would either of you be comfortable having look at the car? The guy (Andrew) said he was free tomorrow morning, otherwise another time is okay i guess. PM me your number and i'll call you or give me a call on XXXX XXX XXX.

He is aware someone local may be visiting and is okay with that. I could arrange a mutual time or you could text him directly or call him after 7:30pm tonight (Andrew - XXXX XXX XXX).

I'd be interested in the usual stuff:

tyre tread left
brake pads/rotor condition
condition of body
condition of leather and trim
all accessories working
air-con
stereo
have a listen to the engine
listen for worn timing chain - he is not aware if it has been changed
log books
check for leaks - oil/coolant
wheel scrub
and the best part - take it for a drive

If it all works out well - we're hoping to fly down either Friday or sunday morning and drive it back back to the gold coast that day.

balker
17th March 2015, 03:23 PM
Only 3 I can think of off the top of my head is Sammich Shadow110 and mondo but not sure how close they are to ezwoo. If I was up visiting i would have only been around the corner but alas you'll have to see if one of these guys (or someone else) can help

You could always get a mechanical inspection done if you are really keen (I dont suggest NRMA)

Thanks for the offer and the help with contacts!

Sammich
17th March 2015, 05:10 PM
if i was capable to actually inspect the car Eastwood is only about a 15 minute drive. but with my knee how it is i am struggling to even walk more than about 50m so getting under a car is off the table.

Sammich
17th March 2015, 05:12 PM

Best bet is for State roads but it is ~$200 for the inspection. i got one done on each import i owned in the past cause log books are non existant and often history is unknown.

http://www.stateroads.com.au/

balker
17th March 2015, 08:45 PM
Best bet is for State roads but it is ~$200 for the inspection. i got one done on each import i owned in the past cause log books are non existant and often history is unknown.

http://www.stateroads.com.au/

Thanks for this - was not aware of Stateroads and don't trust the thoroughness of NRMA/RACQ inspections...

Still happy for someone to go check it out though...

balker
23rd March 2015, 08:05 AM
Done. Drove back Saturday, spent Sunday servicing.

balker
23rd March 2015, 08:07 AM
Thanks heaps to those that could/offered to help!

hazrd
23rd March 2015, 08:28 AM
Congrats mate. Was it still in the same good condition as when TomTom was active here?

balker
23rd March 2015, 03:06 PM
Yep, wouldn't have touched it if it wasn't top condition.

Timing chain sounds like it needs doing though....

StrickenAza34
23rd March 2015, 03:10 PM
Glad you have a nice ride again for the missus. Strangely enough, I found another TS at the Wreckers when I got my leathers that had the headlining completely sunk.

balker
23rd March 2015, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the idea to just replace it rather than fix. Should work out cheaper I think....

mondo
23rd March 2015, 09:22 PM
only just saw this. i live too far away anyway. sorry