PDA

View Full Version : Hey! My new Astra 2.0 Turbo

JSR911
28th February 2015, 06:48 PM
Hey guys just recently bought my astra turbo a couple of months ago. It's been fun the car is quite quick and most people have no clue when I thrash them so I love it. However, I looking at making more power. What are the best bang for buck mods I can get started on and where can they be purchased. I honestly don't know if anything has been done to it, there is a autotech engineering sticker located at the fuel cap saying its been tuned for 98 petrol. Thats as far as my knowledge goes for passed history. If anyone knows any extra about the car it would be appreciated.

Also I live in the Hurstville area in sydney so if anyone is interested in meeting up and shedding some knowledge on astra turbo's in general or if there are any meets I am very keen to learn more.

dutchy
28th February 2015, 07:19 PM
Welcome to the forum mate. Upping the power, might mean a new clutch, just keep that in mind. You should always run 98 in these car. Are there any upgrades done to the car already ? Can you take some pics of the engine bay, turbo, exhaust and intercooler ? Yur best buy next would be an eds-ipf so you can tune the car as upgrades come along.

guy 27
28th February 2015, 07:25 PM
welcome to oa

mickos
28th February 2015, 08:58 PM
G'day mate

Breathing mods is a good place to start then EDS IPF are great tuning devices

JSR911
1st March 2015, 01:03 AM
From the engine bay it looks like there might be an after market cold air intake but that might be all? Have no clue why one photo is upside down lol
the exhaust look stock. Also how do you know if you have the vxr turbo or the standard sri turbo?

JSR911
1st March 2015, 01:17 AM
Also where are the best places to buy mods? For instance where should I buy the eds ipf ecu system? exhaust? intercooler? Bigger Turbo??

dutchy
1st March 2015, 09:05 AM
the exhaust look stock. Also how do you know if you have the vxr turbo or the standard sri turbo?

vxr turbo is ribbed on the outlet

dutchy
1st March 2015, 09:08 AM
is there actually a filter on that intake ?! Car is running well, no error light on in dash ?

JSR911
1st March 2015, 12:36 PM
Yeah I think so I'll take a closer look it was dark as you might tell. There is no error lights on the dash and its been riding very well.

JSR911
1st March 2015, 12:53 PM
What do you guys think of this short shifter http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Short-throw-Shifter-for-Chevrolet-Pontiac-Opel-Astra-Sunfire-/350997017523?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51b90d73b3

I know Mtech have one for around 200$ just want to know if anyone has tried this one or if it can be trusted.

dutchy
1st March 2015, 01:31 PM
it's all a bit hard to see on the pic. I did notice a strut brace. At least the former owner made the effort to get rid of the crossover pipe but im not convinced this is the best way. Anyway, if it works for your car, then why not. Your maf might not have a very long grease free life this way. Did the former owner tell you anything more about the car ?

chris_r
1st March 2015, 03:14 PM
What do you guys think of this short shifter http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Short-throw-Shifter-for-Chevrolet-Pontiac-Opel-Astra-Sunfire-/350997017523?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51b90d73b3

I know Mtech have one for around 200$ just want to know if anyone has tried this one or if it can be trusted.

Personally, I haven't used one of these short shifters, but I can vouch for the M-Tech shifters (as can many others on this forum). I had one with my Z18XE engine and I fitted one to the Z20LET in my Corsa, which I am yet to get running. On the Z20LET, I combined the M-Tech shifter with a gear lever refurb kit from eBay (it replaces a plastic pin with a metal one and provides an extra insert to sit under the ball part of the gear lever itself) and it feels tight as. You could probably use both the eBay lever and the M-Tech shift shortener in tandem, as the M-Tech unit shortens the shift at the gearbox end and is mounted as such.

With regards to cost of the M-Tech shifter, you don't pay VAT, so that may take 20% or so off the price. Also, look out for forum group buys that include further discounts, as they do happen from time to time and M-Tech is one mob we often have them with.

JSR911
1st March 2015, 03:26 PM
Oooo sweet yeah whenever the next group buy is put me down!!!

JSR911
1st March 2015, 03:27 PM
dutchy I bought it off a dealer he didnt have much info on it but he did provide logbook and the other essentials.

GUN16V
1st March 2015, 08:04 PM
If its been tuned by autotech its more than likely running a unichip piggyback ecu.. Does yhe car have a boost gauge? How much boost is it running?

Im from Sans Souci, I dont mind meeting up and taking a look for you..

Dave

JSR911
1st March 2015, 08:50 PM
Hey dave yeah we are very close we should meet up soon inbox me :)

Where can i find the uni chip ive tried to look for it and havnt had any luck?

dutchy
1st March 2015, 09:15 PM
so its a but hard to tell. Seeing another member on here would be good and indeed if you have a boost gauge, that'll tell a bit more.

dutchy
1st March 2015, 10:21 PM
Found this post off an old member, he's had unichip in his car done by autotech and also has a vxr turbo. If you take bottom hose off, you can see if outlet is ribbed. There might also be a different plate on there but I am not to sure of that.

http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showthread.php?28507-Hello-OpelAus-Holden-Astra-03-Sri-Turbo/page3

Sammich
2nd March 2015, 10:03 PM
I am not too far from Hurstville i am down at concord. looks like from the pic of the intake a hole has been cut in the engine bay for the pipe to go through and the breather is before the AFM, that can cause it to die early.

for that short shift kit i dont know i would trust it being from china, likely would not come with fitting instructions etc either and for the price cant be a good quality.

I was looking at getting RnD Short shift kit (http://rndmotorsport.co.uk/epages/950003929.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950003929/Products/0021) similar price and definitely works.

will have to organise another meet for us sydney Opel Aus members there seem to be a few of us around now :)

JSR911
3rd March 2015, 07:17 PM
Yeah we deffinetly need to meet up!!! Also if you're getting the RnD short shift kit get me one!?! I can transfer you the money or meet up with you?

Sammich
3rd March 2015, 07:37 PM
JSR911 i emailed them about it yesterday so when i hear back about delivery i will let you know.

dutchy
3rd March 2015, 07:39 PM
I'd get the Mtech short shifter.

JSR911
3rd March 2015, 07:46 PM
Ooooo sweet sounds good!

Also how do you let the website know we don't pay vat?
Sammich Have you looked into getting the Mtech also?

I'm not fussed tbh just think it might be easier to get it with someone else for a first timer lol

JSR911
3rd March 2015, 07:51 PM
Also which transmission do I have in my car? I see a lot of products distinguish between F18 and F23 gearbox's.

Sammich
3rd March 2015, 09:00 PM
Also which transmission do I have in my car? I see a lot of products distinguish between F18 and F23 gearbox's.

i was originally going to get a M-Tech short shifter and i know everyone things they are good but for the price i thought testing the RnD one would be worth a crack RnD = 888Dan and he knows his astras.
JSR911 you have a F23 gearbox.

dutchy
3rd March 2015, 11:27 PM
I know the RnD ones and they are a bit of a bitch to fit https://sites.google.com/site/rndmotorsport231/services/fitting-f23-short-shift but if you got time, then it's ok. The Mtech goes onto the top of the gearbox and it is a 10 minute job to fit (if you get the pin out easy) https://static.webshopapp.com/shops/031349/files/013439868/t-shift-f23.pdf

chris_r
4th March 2015, 09:03 AM
Only reason I'd consider the Chinese shifter is the fact it's threaded and it'll allow you to change shift knobs easy.

To be honest, I don't see why you couldn't the Chinese or RnD units along with the M-Tech shifter, unless it makes the shift action way too short to be practical.

guy 27
4th March 2015, 09:20 AM
The Chinese one is a clone of the b&m short shifter.
Can be used at same time as mtech

JSR911
4th March 2015, 08:57 PM
Yeah thats my other issue, I tried to change the shift knob and I couldnt seem to get the current knob off for the life of me! lol Whats the best way of getting that dam knob off (no pun intended :P).

guy 27
4th March 2015, 09:06 PM
Pull really hard. (pun intended)
You'll probably damage something doing it so either get the Chinese one or a 2nd hand one from the wreckers.

JSR911
4th March 2015, 09:56 PM
Yeah I pulled it really hard even on a hot day when it was burning my hand. Thought it would be easier then but still wouldn't come off might have to grab that Chinese one and if it doesn't work out it doesn't really matter because its so cheap.

dutchy
4th March 2015, 10:32 PM
Pull really hard.

Yeah I pulled it really hard even on a hot day when it was burning my hand.

:facepalm2:

JSR911
5th March 2015, 09:12 PM
Heys, try to see who's keen/free to meet up maybe saturday or sunday??
Keep it close? maybe just brighton or something? Just to introduce myself and meet you guys also you guys can shed alot more knowledge in person and I think it would be fun.

See who's interested I know I have another friend who would be keen to join he has a barina. Figure out numbers here then I mite just put up a quick post in the right forum category.

Sammich
5th March 2015, 09:20 PM
Sunday may be possible if the car is happy and not to hot.

JSR911
5th March 2015, 09:34 PM
Yeah was thinking sunday might be best!

Sammich
5th March 2015, 10:51 PM
JSR911 put something up in sydney meets, see who else may be interested.

JSR911
6th March 2015, 11:30 AM
Just posted on there!