PDA

View Full Version : Hi all from Gippsland, Victoria

DesireaMay
1st February 2015, 06:58 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new to OA.
I brought an early 1999 (January) holden astra ts model, about a year and a half ago, I took it to my mechanic (who I've found out is pretty hopeless). Idles were running low, he fixed that, said that the throttle body (?) was putrid. Been a great first little car for me. Until a week ago. I was on my way to gym, and it started surging, i freaked out of course haha.
Took it to my partner, had a quick look at work.
Then all weekend, we had a look, notice cam angle sensor wires had basically cooked over time and the plastic insulating the wires were falling off. I ordered one, took it to holden just to make sure nothing else was wrong, and it was just that. Then they tell me as the bloke was reversing out, boys noticed reverse lights not working. Was the reverse switch. Replaced that, all working now. Now I gotta wait for the sensor to come, and she'll be fixed again :)
This weekend my partner and i have just replaced all brakes and rotors, hopefully no more horrible brake dust everywhere.
Also will be ordering another serpentine belt. As mine has cracks all through it. Guessing that would be a fun job? (sarcasm) :)

Has anyone else experienced these problems?
DesireaMay

sskustomz
1st February 2015, 07:41 PM
Welcome! If the serpentine belt is that bad you probably want to do the timing belt and water pump ASAP too. Apart from that it will be a great little car.
Steffi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

faneca
1st February 2015, 07:54 PM
Welcome along, once you have her running right she will be a cracker

guy 27
1st February 2015, 08:11 PM
Welcome to oa

DesireaMay
1st February 2015, 08:13 PM
Thanks for that, will have a look at it. My partner is the mechanic/car nut, so will be sure to ask him about it, he said it's not bad, but I'm very picky and if something looks bad, it's fixed or replaced, unfortunately there's a lot to do to the poor girl, just making my list now, air con definitely on the list, as it never came with air con working, so probably just needs regassing :)

I love my little astra, good car, looks good.

Oh also, are 185/65/14 rare? As in are a lot of people interested in them? I'm looking at getting new wheels, but 14" are pretty hard to find in 4 stud. Ones that aren't expensive anyway

dutchy
1st February 2015, 10:48 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Liadan
12th February 2015, 09:30 PM
air con definitely on the list, as it never came with air con working, so probably just needs regassing :)

With your aircon, if it hasn't been working for quite some time, if it IS only the gas, then it will likely need new seals, as the seals perish, which allows the gas to leak.

Also keep in mind that the TS Astra's are notorious for having the aircon die, and requiring a new compressor or clutch coil (mine died December last year, needed a new clutch coil).

DesireaMay
13th February 2015, 09:45 PM
Oh thanks for that, will have to look into that