PDA

View Full Version : New German Hot Hatch facebook group

mondo
25th January 2015, 08:47 PM
Hi Guys,

after joining forces between the Ford XR5 forum and OpelAus to forma team for the Nulon Nationals competition I got to thinking and decided that creating a facebook group for owners of German Hot Hatches would be a good idea. Hoping to attract owners of Opel, Ford, VW, Audi, BMW & Merc sports variant hatches to the group to share stories, info, pics & videos with others who have a similar interest. The page address is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1599728936906150/

Cheers,
Pete

adam_92
25th January 2015, 09:54 PM
Just joined

Shadow110
25th January 2015, 11:28 PM
Just sent request :)

faneca
26th January 2015, 11:52 AM
Joined last night as well

Sent from my HTC ONE

mickos
26th January 2015, 12:10 PM
Nice one pete good response on FB so far
Be good to do a few cruises and track days with a bunch of mixed manufacturers

poita
26th January 2015, 12:17 PM
Thanks for killing both the forums off [emoji35]

Gsi_Bryce
26th January 2015, 05:28 PM
sskustomz
26th January 2015, 06:47 PM
Me too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mondo
27th January 2015, 05:09 PM

Poita, not intended to take the place of a forum. in fact i would like to use the page to direct people TO the forums, especially for technical advice and the like. The idea is to get the different brands together and maybe run some events like track days etc... where one single forum might not be able to get the numbers on their own. If you'd like to discuss it at all, message me and i will give you my number.

kabel
27th January 2015, 10:14 PM

A few people have made similar comments about other forums.

chris_r
27th January 2015, 10:29 PM
To be honest, I'm over this fad of FB pages for car clubs/groups. A lot of the time, they're full of zit-ridden teenage ricers that have the belief that if it says it's true on the internet, therefore it must be. There's a couple of good ones out there, but FB lacks the best parts of the forums, like being able to find topics of relevance or have your build thread. It's too easy for stuff get lost on a single FB page. Great for newsfeeding or notifying of upcoming events, but not much else.

Raisin
28th January 2015, 09:03 AM
To be honest, I'm over this fad of FB pages for car clubs/groups. A lot of the time, they're full of zit-ridden teenage ricers that have the belief that if it says it's true on the internet, therefore it must be. There's a couple of good ones out there, but FB lacks the best parts of the forums, like being able to find topics of relevance or have your build thread. It's too easy for stuff get lost on a single FB page. Great for newsfeeding or notifying of upcoming events, but not much else.

I agree with Chris here. A facebook group will never pull me away from using the forum as I feel it's a much nicer environment. Being on the forum feels like having a quality hangout with friends or family. A facebook group feels like being invited to that party for a friend of a friend with music turned up too loud to speak and you know one or two people and get over it pretty quickly.

hazrd
28th January 2015, 09:25 AM
The only problem with this environment is the bugs.... But rest assured, once we find the right bug spray, itll be more comfortable again lol

Raisin
28th January 2015, 09:54 AM
Haha yeah, I've run/administrated phpbb forums before and I know how much of a headache they can be so I can appreciate how you guys have your work cut out for you on this one.

mondo
28th January 2015, 04:46 PM
look, you guys don't really know me well, but I have run a large car based facebook group before and rest assured, it was not overrun by zit faced teenage ricers. (at least not while i was running it)

i'm a member of two XR5 forums, a moderator with 16000 posts on one of those and a founding member with over 5000 posts on the other. I'm also a member of an XR4 forum and was previously a cruise crew member there too.

all of the points Chris raised above about forums v FB groups are things I have said myself many times. A FB group is a convenient way to bring all the different groups together in a social environment. The page is NOT intended to take away from the forums and I will actively be encouraging people to frequent the various forums.

Since I joined this forum early last year I have found it to be a vibrant, well supported site. I would not want to do anything to detract from that.

chris_r
28th January 2015, 09:03 PM
Just my personal experience with some of these "clubs" that form on FB, is that they are also run by wannabes. Yes, I have seen a couple that are run properly, but as I've said, most of the time I'll spend on a forum. If used properly, as has been mentioned by yourself and I, it's a great extension for forums. I think what frustrates me is that there are certain people who "run" some of these pages, who think "Ooh, I have a FB account and I'm going to run a club/page, even though I have no idea what I'm doing or on about". I've seen one or two, where the "owner" deletes comments and posts at random, all because something gets up his nose. Needless to say, I left the pages (one of which I was made an admin on) and blocked the idiot.

Anyway, might pop on over and have a look at it anyway. So sick of seeing my friends' posts with their kids starting school at the moment. Need more cars on my feed.

mondo
29th January 2015, 05:02 PM
pretty sure i saw you join? i have posted today to see what the breakdown of membership is by state. hopefully we will be able to get some meets and stuff going in each state in combination with the various forums.

as for deleting posts, the intent of the page is clearly defined in the description. i will delete stuff that is outside of that if necessary and also try to make sure there is none of the trolling and crap that can occur on some pages. it is a work in progress and i don't know how successful it will end up being, but i am willing to try.