PDA

View Full Version : CV Joint

RK
27th January 2005, 11:13 PM
Hi, How do you know if your CV joint is broken or screwed?
It should make a noise yeah? or you should feel it in the steering wheel?

My left CV Joint looks like this (pics below). But i think that its just the rubber seal thats broken. Cos i dont feel any difference, or hear any strange noises. So i was gonna get holden to put a new seal at the next service (1 or 2 weeks from now). I just dont want them to tell me i need a new CV joint, when theres nothign wrong it.

http://img179.exs.cx/img179/1921/p12219110pg.jpg

http://img182.exs.cx/img182/4092/p12219109ao.jpg

silvestra
28th January 2005, 01:10 AM
Um, got bad news mate. Same thing happened to mine but I had it fixed under warranty. The 'rubber boot' is full of grease that holds the bearings together. If the grease comes out, so do the bearings and the joint blows. It probably makes a noise like those pink spoke things on a girls bike? Thats the pieces of bearing rolling around. I had me whole drive shaft replaced. Good luck mate!

ecstasy
28th January 2005, 07:45 AM
try to do a very tight u turn for both sides if it's brocke u'll hear a knocking sound (thats bad news) if u don't try not to drive it till u replace the seal, but normally whe a seal goes its time to start saving for a new cv pretty soon. :cry:

RK
28th January 2005, 10:31 AM
crappy thing is.. i think its been broken for about 6 months now :S

Are CV joints expensive?

Mr Cali
28th January 2005, 11:46 AM
RK CV joints are pretty cheap , and yes once the rubber goes you may aswell replace it, cause it'll cost about $80 to get a new rubber and about $150 for the rubber and CV joint. Most places will tell u not to bother with just replacing the rubber boot.

I got mine done at:

Sydney Drive Shaft
5/12 Garling Rd
Kings Park
9672 4818
0404 050 766

Took about 1hr to do and comes with 3yrs warranty

RK
28th January 2005, 11:52 AM
Do you know how much you paid in total?

Do you think its better to get it done separately, rather then holden doing it in the next service?

Because i gotta get my 90k service done, and also timing belt replaced by holden.

Anonymous
28th January 2005, 02:30 PM
could the lowering have caused the seal to foul something/break?

That looks nasty!

Mr Cali
28th January 2005, 04:49 PM
Yeh I paid $150 in total for one CV and boot. Don't get it done by Holden, they'll charge u an arm and leg.

It's very easy to tear a CV boot, just needs to get caught onto something. Yes, there's a possibilty they ripped it whilst putting your springs in.