PDA

View Full Version : astra SRI T remap/tune in Melbourne ??

Chubba111
6th January 2015, 11:36 PM
G'day lads I own a 03 Sri t and was wondering where the best/reliable place was to get my ecu tuned/remapped IN MELBOURNE !!

Thanks for the help lads (nothing to big maybe just stage 1 or 2) 👍

adam_92
6th January 2015, 11:42 PM
Eds tune from regal in the UK. Anywhere in melbourne will probably be a custom map as no one would have a tune for an astra. Cheaper and easier going the eds

Chubba111
7th January 2015, 12:03 AM
Do you have a link mate ? Rough cost ? How does he do it from the uk ? Like a chip install or do I have to load a programme to the ecu ?

All good found it mate, he needs the ecu sent to him and that could take weeks to send to uk then send back and costly, found a mob in Australia (auto tech engineering) but don't know if I should trust it

chris_r
7th January 2015, 12:52 AM
Adam is referring to the EDS IPF unit. It's a similar thing to the CAPA Ford flash tuner boxes used on most modern Falcons, except that you're able to download maps and flash them to the ECU yourself (CAPA tuners were mostly pre-programmed). More here: http://eds-motorsport.de/Tuning/Opel/Astra/Astra-G/Z20LET/Opel-Astra-G-Turbo-OPC-Z20LET-IPF-Online-Tuning-System.html

The EDS IPF system would be the most cost effective and the most common way of tuning/programming your ECU in Australia at least.

Sammich
7th January 2015, 01:10 AM
Definitely get the EDS IPF, they are about $1k shipped, but you can change your tune whenever you want in about 10-15 mins.

by default it has the stage 1 and stage 2 unlocked, but if you need a higher level tune later on just email regal and they will unlock it to a higher level.

ConZo
7th January 2015, 01:37 PM
Definitely get the EDS IPF, they are about $1k shipped, but you can change your tune whenever you want in about 10-15 mins.

by default it has the stage 1 and stage 2 unlocked, but if you need a higher level tune later on just email regal and they will unlock it to a higher level.

I find this interesting, thanks to the op for posting as I was going to ask the same thing.

Can I ask though, I know Regal make a map based on your mods, but how do you know that it is 100% correct? I mean there are different types of 3" turbo back exhausts, different size/efficiency intercoolers and of course not all motors are the same to begin with? I would presume and I say presume because I am not an expert in this, that having you car on a dyno with a tuner in person would yield safer and sometimes higher results? Or are regal really that good that they can nail it?

I hope regal are that good but I would prefer to go that way myself.

Kennedy
7th January 2015, 01:58 PM
Regal are terrible at custom maps. Eds - the mob who make the IPF are good. You're also best fitting an AFR gauge to monitor air/fuel ratio.

Sammich
7th January 2015, 02:32 PM
Yeh, I wouldn't get a tune from regal, but the ipf unit is good. Regal is just the distributer. Have a look in the turbo models section of the astra forums it should have a listing of all the maps available.

adam_92
7th January 2015, 02:39 PM
Regal as a company are jnown for getting high power tunes but they do it by overfuelling which causes the engine to go bang very quickly. The eds ipf is made by a separate company and just sold through regal as a distributor. There tunes are known to be very good but obviously not as good as a custom map. You have to weigh up cost vs gains. Eds is approx 1k and you can go to stage 3, possibly 4 if you have the right mods. A custom map will cost you probably double the price for not a lot more. Then you have more cost with every stage of the tune.

dutchy
7th January 2015, 03:02 PM
I had custom tunes on my car and I can tell you that it's very expensive. As the others have said, get yourself an eds ipf.

GUN16V
7th January 2015, 05:07 PM
I know of two places in Sydney that custom tune. Both start at $1200 and as much as $1500. Thats a one off tune aswell. As its been said get an eds ipf.

chris_r
7th January 2015, 06:46 PM
I find this interesting, thanks to the op for posting as I was going to ask the same thing.

Can I ask though, I know Regal make a map based on your mods, but how do you know that it is 100% correct? I mean there are different types of 3" turbo back exhausts, different size/efficiency intercoolers and of course not all motors are the same to begin with? I would presume and I say presume because I am not an expert in this, that having you car on a dyno with a tuner in person would yield safer and sometimes higher results? Or are regal really that good that they can nail it?

I hope regal are that good but I would prefer to go that way myself.

EDS have probably devised their maps based on tuning hundreds, if not thousands of Z20LEx powered cars, so I would think it'd be safe to assume they've got a tune that would suit whatever mods you have, as they've probably seen every combination there is. I would say a custom tune would only be worth looking at when you go past stage 3.5, as that's when you'd yield the most from any form of custom tune (and start venturing into the more exclusive and unknown territories). Other than that, the EDS IPF is more than sufficient for what you need now.

Yes, there are many different types and variants of intercoolers, exhausts, etc on the market, the power differences for example between say a TX intercooler and an Airtec branded intercooler are probably not enough to warrant a custom tune (Although the Airtec cooler looks better in comparison and would be of far better build quality).

Wraith
14th January 2015, 01:21 PM
I got my first tune on my turbo vert done by PowerChip in Melbourne...

That was a long time ago now in 2004.

I know a few people had issues with the PowerChip tune but for me it worked extremely well and provided a massive jump in power and torque...

I have since tried 3 other software tunes which I can load and swap at any time along with the PowerChip tune and only one of those can provide more power or torque than the PowerChip tune, so if your located in Melbourne maybe look into it - I've got no idea on pricing etc. because as said it was over 10 years ago now...

mickos
14th January 2015, 01:36 PM
EDS IPF is a great tuning device it's the way to go. As stated their IPF system has tuned many many cars world wide.
So long as you match right mods with the tune get actuator set up for boost to suit tune it will be ok the ecu will help adapt also.

Then always check up on dyno or put in AFR gauge to check fuelling.
Doing OPCOM logs checking for knock, short/long fuel trims, 02 sensors, ignition ect ect